The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 03:06 PM   #1
buckshott

Ithaca question

I have an older model Ithaca 37 made in the 1950's. I just picked up a 18 inch barrel that was made in the Ohio plant. The older models won't take a newer barrel without being fitted. Anybody have an idea how much it takes to get it to fit and what the approximate cost would be?
Old September 29, 2017, 03:09 PM   #2
FITASC

Have you called Ithaca?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 29, 2017, 03:58 PM   #3
buckshott

No I haven't yet.
Old September 29, 2017, 04:33 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

It will cost a great deal of $$$$.

The factory will take your receiver and fit a special bushing so the new barrel will fit and then fit the new barrel. Your old barrel will no longer fit the gun!

The older barrels have regular screw type threads, and the new barrels (made after serial no. 855000) have a straight thread pattern.

Your best way to have a extra barrel is to sell the new barrel and find a older barrel, before 855000 serial number.
Then send the gun and barrel to Diamond Gun Smithing in New York. Les Hovencamp will fit the extra barrel for the fitting fee.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:43 AM   #5
Tony Z

Not answering the OP's question, but some 50 plus years ago, first gun I used for small game was an Ithaca 20 ga. Belonged to an uncle. I was able to find a virtually identical gun several weeks ago at a gun show, with only difference being the recent gun is a bit lighter in sthe stock color.

But, oh the feelings of that gun in hand! Squirrels beware in a few weeks!
Old September 30, 2017, 08:28 AM   #6
buckshott

Thanks guys. I will probably just look around and pick up a newer model that the barrel will already fit. You can't really have too many guns.
Old September 30, 2017, 10:03 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Look for a gun with a serial number between 855000 to about 371366000.
Somewhere about 1975 Ithaca took out the pump-fire feature.
I'm assuming you want this feature with a gun having a 18 inch barrel.
Old October 4, 2017, 01:49 AM   #8
bamaranger

slamfire

"Slamfiring" a pump gun without a disconnector, the Ithica M37, the Win 97 & M12,maybe others, is not a practice recommended or taught by any agency, academy, or shooting school at present. Fast, controlled aimed (well, pointed ) fire is the way. Slamfiring is cool as range trick or stunt to some folks.

I do know that at one time, slamfiring a pump gun in the defensive role was taught to some degree. I recall seeing a training film in the late 1970's, the film likely made in the 50's, where an officer slam fired a pump gun while rolling to cover. The whole class got a laugh out of that. Some agencies rewrote policy that required a disconnector in pump shotguns, as the devices became available in contemporary designs, or as the older shotguns aged out. My outfit had a number of GI type M12's, that phased out with a policy rewrite favoring the 870, and unfortunately, the Win 1200, which was universally detested. I believe one of the reasons the Rem 870 took off as a police gun was the disconnector 9aonother being cost). Not only does the disconnector mechanically regulate the rate of fire, requiring a release of the trigger, and hopefully, acquiring a sight picture, but it is a safety feature.