The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 9, 2000, 07:05 PM   #1
Sport

Soon I will purchase three complete
rigs for my most frequently carried
handguns.Glock 19, Gov model,Smith 3913.
I would prefer to find a single holster
model for strong side owb concealed carry.
Leather only. Then I will buy one made for
each gun plus the mag carrier and a couple
belts.

In your experience, who is doing the really
great work? I'm looking for custom or semi-
custom makers only.

Thanks,

Sport

Old March 9, 2000, 07:41 PM   #2
Virginian1

Since you are looking at leather only, and want a custom or semi-custom, you would be hard pressed tobeat Andy Artooninian at Horshoe Leather in England. Having said that, Mitch Rosen, Jim Murnack, Milt Sparks, Alessi all do superb work. However, be prepared to wait some time to get these holsters. The premium holster makers do them one at time, but the wait is well worth it. You will not be disappointed with any of the makers (notice I did not say maunfacturers).

Virginian
Old March 9, 2000, 08:26 PM   #3
Sport

Virginian,

In your opinion is it reasonable to
select one holster model and stay with
it for all three guns?
I'm thinking the commonality will be a
plus.
Old March 11, 2000, 11:41 AM   #4
Rosco Benson

Sport,
I'm not Virginian, but I'll take a crack at answering your question. It is quite likely that you will find certain characteristics that you prefer ALL of your holsters to have (straight-drop vs. FBI-cant, ride height on the belt, and so forth). This may well lead you to select the same model holster for all three pistols. However, don't get too focused on the issue of holster commonality, as the three pistols themselves are operated in distinctly different ways.

Rosco
Old March 11, 2000, 06:18 PM   #5
Sport

Roscoe,

The more research I do, the more impressed
I am with some of the custom/semi-custom
holstermakers.
Many seem to be one man (haven't found a
woman yet) operations.
Most are within twenty-five dollars of
each other in price..$150-175 per rig.

I've gone ahead and taken your advise,

Ordered a rig from Andy Arratoonian,
another from Mark Waldon. Have one more
to go. Still looking for suggestions as
to who else is doing "exceptional" work.
Old March 11, 2000, 07:05 PM   #6
Jhp147

Never seen Waldon's work, last time I tried, Andy A. made no southpaw stuff. I gotta put in a plug for Del Fatti Leather. Matt makes great stuff, I can vouch for it on 3 holsters. He knows about making them comfortable and carryable. It's http://personalpages.tds.net/~delfatti OR e-mail [email protected]
. BTW, I paid under 100 bucks for the last holster and mag pouch I bought.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited March 11, 2000).]
Old March 11, 2000, 08:05 PM   #7
Rosco Benson

Sport,
You've picked two well respected outfits from whom to order. As was mentioned earlier, Milt Sparks Holsters (operated for many years now by Tony Kanaley www.miltsparks.com ) and Lou Alessi ( www.rfholsters.com ) both make great products and are both great guys too. Design AND execution must both be of a very high order to result in a great holster. Tony and Lou are both real artists in BOTH areas. Tony's PMK, MMX, and many other designs show a real genius for design. Lou's credentials to the "design genius club" include his masterful CQC-S, his bargain-priced Talon, and his genre-defining ankle rig.

I was recently introduced to the work of Steve Schafer. His gear is sold through Todd Davis' outfit ( www.dsgun.com ). The sole holster they sell is a very well made copy of of the Sparks #55BN (with an FBI-cant, no choice). The example I've been working with is very well made and the belt is beautifully executed. I'm not real enthusiatic about the clip-on mag pouch, but they offer one with "wings" as well. The website doesn't show it, but they offer some very agressive pricing on holster/belt/pouch package deals. Just one holster design though.

Rosco
Old March 11, 2000, 11:07 PM   #8
Bulldog

Thumbs up here for Mark Waldon.

I'm currently waiting on my 2nd Raptor Defense set. I'm very happy with his work.

------------------
Bulldawg: NRA, GOA, TSRA, Shiner Bock Connoisseur.
Bulldawg's Firearms Page
Old March 12, 2000, 03:24 PM   #9
Mark W

Thanks for the thumbs up Bulldog. I'm still the newbie in the holster maker circles, so I'm not as well known as many. But I'm working on it.

------------------
www.waldonholsters.com
Old March 13, 2000, 01:19 AM   #10
Dorcas

I would like to reiterate what Roscoe said about Lou Alessi. My current carry holster is a CQC/S. It's the greatest. I find IWB very uncomfortable, and the CQC/S conceals even a 1911 under a light jacket.

bkm...
Old March 14, 2000, 12:56 PM   #11
CrociJA

Just got back from LFI, used M/D right-side holster without the "FBI Cant", a dual magazine holder with belt for ~$145.00.
Mike makes premium holsters for your firearm, to your specifications at an excellent price. I think the holster alone runs ~$65.00.
Check him out at www.customholsters.com or www.gunsandgold.com

Excellent rig's IMHO!

Jon
Old March 15, 2000, 02:31 PM   #12
CrociJA

Oops...If you look at www.customguns.com or www.gunsandgold.com you'll see a listing for "Specials". It's worth a look, a hand-crafted holster, belt and a single magazine pouch for $99.00! That's Special #1.
Special #2 is a handcrafted holster, belt and a dual magazine pouch for $125.00!
I believe it's only $8.00 for S/H.

Worth a serious look, craftsmanship was on par with some of the Milt Sparks and Galco's I saw at LFI.

Jon
Old March 15, 2000, 06:21 PM   #13
Christopher E. Wiesemann
Retired Screen Name

I use Wild Bill's leather for my weapons. He can make anything, at a price that is not terrible. The fit and finish is great, quality ranks up there with the other custom ufacturers. He is based out of Garner NC. My experience with his leather is good, it is all I carry since he can provide good equipment at a good price, plus my carry guns are hard to fit: a 4506 and a 457 Smith(s). I also use a Sure Fire case he made as well as the cuff case he offers, they still keep their form after a good using.
Old March 17, 2000, 12:29 PM   #14
Aqil

I like www.fist-inc.com. Excellent quality and he's a really nice gut. Will talk with you about what you're looking for. His website's nice in that it shows you how his innovative designs are worn.