The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 27, 2017, 01:04 PM   #1
rjinga

Range Report: Chinese Type 56 SKS with Golden Tiger and Tulammo

This was only my second time at the range with my new rifle. I wanted to check the windage and elevation of the sights (I don't think the previous owner moved them; they may have the factory settings from 55 years ago), and compare two brands of ammunition: Golden Tiger (124 grain FMJBT) and Tulammo (124 grain HP). In an attempt to keep myself out of the equation as much as possible, I shot everything off of a bench rest. I used the regular iron sights; no scope or optics.

I read on the internet (so it has to be true) that with the rear sight set on the 100 meter mark, you zero the rifle at 25 meters, and then check it at 100 meters. So, I set the first two targets at 25 meters. The grid is made up of 1” squares (darker lines) and ¼” squares (lighter lines). The red square is 2”. My POA was a 6:00 hold. I tried to set the red square on the top of the front post.

The Golden Tiger target is on the left. The first shot was at 4:00 just outside the red square. The next two shots were almost dead-center. The forth shot (top right corner) was a slam-fire off of the third shot. It happened so fast, I wasn’t really sure that it did happen, until I dumped the magazine and counted the remaining rounds. And then, when I walked out to check the target, that’s when I saw the hole up in the corner. Next I fired five rounds of Tulammo at the target on the right. The shot placement was low, high, low, high, low.

Here are the remaining five rounds of each ammunition brand.

Next, I put up two scaled “Dog” targets at 25 meters. Now I was trying to set the bottom of the black silhouette on the top of the front post.

The Golden Tiger target is on the top and the Tulammo is on the bottom. I got 49 out of 50 on the top target, with seven rounds either touching or inside the “V” circle. I got 47 out of 50 on the bottom target, with five rounds either touching or inside the “V” circle.

Then I went out to 100 meters. The Golden Tiger target is on the left and the Tulammo target is on the right again. At that distance, the front post is at least 2/3, maybe 4/5, of the width of the silhouette.

I notice that both shot groups on the silhouette were skewed to the left. So, following the maxim of “aim small, miss small” I put up two 8.5 x 11 bulls-eye targets (turned sideways) at 100 meters. The red squares on these targets are 3”. The Golden Tiger target is on the top and the Tulammo target is on the bottom. I only ended up with 12 out of 20 rounds on the paper, but the placement did seem to be relatively centered, so I’m okay with the windage for now.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old October 27, 2017, 01:05 PM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

I finished off the day with a would-I-rather-spend-the-money-on-shipping-or-buy-something-else-and-get-the-shipping-for-free target that I got off of Amazon. I’d never seen this type of target before. I put it at 50 yds and fired 10 rounds of Golden Tiger at the heart and 10 rounds of Tulammo at the head.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old October 30, 2017, 12:46 AM   #3
Ignition Override

Not bad at all.

It's so nice that you didn't get much tighter groups at 100 yards: that would have stepped on too many "gear guys' " sensitive toes.

A guy with a Hungarian AK using a scope hit such a tight group at 200 yards that some 'black rifle' 'gear guys' gaped in wonder, as the AK guy said "This is getting boring", packed up and left.
Old October 30, 2017, 08:05 AM   #4
dean1818

Good shooting

I worked and worked, and couldnt get my SKS to do better than 2 inches at 100 yards
(I sold it for some other gun)

The SKS is very underated IMHO

Buying American made, wherever I still can