The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2010, 06:46 AM   #26
hooligan1

I'm going to hold out as long as possible because my kids will probably fill the freezer, giving me reign to wait for a big one.

Last edited by hooligan1; September 25, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old September 25, 2010, 06:47 AM   #27
jcjr3020

I hunt for food first. Once 6 average deer in the freezer, than i may go for bucks it all depends on how i feel that day. Where i hunt in Maryland if you use a bow, muzzle-loader and rifle/shotgun you can take 36 deer (30 doe, 6 buck) but in each weapon season you must take at least 2 doe before you can take your next buck with a limit of 2 buck and 10 doe per weapon season.
Old September 25, 2010, 06:50 AM   #28
shortwave

Early bow and shotgun season is when I usually hunt doe and fill the freezer.

Here in Ohio, our 1st deer rut falls during bow season, peaking somewhere around the 2nd week of Nov.
Our late muzzle loader season comes in usually 1st or 2nd week of Jan.

These are the times I really try to bag my trophy which I've usually picked out during late summer scouting.
FWIW, I've hunted the same 'trophy' for the last three years and won't settle for anything less than him. Got a lot of enjoyable hours invested in him. Saw him here in the backyard about 2 in the morning, under the apple tree's about three wks ago He's a real monster

Many times if our bow rut is a so-so rut and it peaks at the right Nov. dates, there will be many does left un-bred during muzzleloader season. The 'big boys' will be on the prowl.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:06 AM   #29
338shooter

My hope is always to shoot a very large buck first. The meat is secondary. My family usually has 2 or 3 deer shot each year but utilize only one. We keep the best meat for ourselves and give away the rest. The families who receive our excess meat are very grateful.
Old September 25, 2010, 08:15 AM   #30
andy416mag

Both if they have Horns Great or if they are a nice fat doe Yum!
Old September 25, 2010, 01:40 PM   #31
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Meat hunter pure and simple, head decorations mean nothing to me and I would rather chew on a doe after the roast comes out of the crock pot.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 25, 2010, 08:17 PM   #32
BIG P

Slayer for me I love those little skillet stinkers
Old September 25, 2010, 10:40 PM   #33
HighExpert

Yeah, but 134 Florida deer equal about 30 decent size whitetails. I look for does that go around 140 and bucks that will push 180. I only get 6 so poundage makes a difference. Prefer does. They eat better.
Old September 25, 2010, 11:15 PM   #34
psychobily

mmm mmmm, dang it guys!!! you got me ta thinking reading this dang thread.... Chicken fried back strap, mash tatters, cream gravy, creamed kern!!!! MMM MMM MMMM!!!! Need I say anymore!
Old September 26, 2010, 11:08 PM   #35
andrew66

dam now u got me hungry and i just ate!
Old September 26, 2010, 11:38 PM   #36
Major Dave (retired)

Got the trophy of a lifetime

the first time I ever went (175 gross, 156 net B&C), 5 1/2 years old, 17 points, great mass!!!! (A basic 10 point with extra points due to palmated G-2's, and extra points due to an injury while in the velvet).

So, I shoot big does until a 180+ B&C shows up.

First doe of the season goes in my freezer, any after that goes to Hunters For The Hungry. Limit 5.
Old September 27, 2010, 02:00 AM   #37
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighExpert
Yeah, but 134 Florida deer equal about 30 decent size whitetails. I look for does that go around 140 and bucks that will push 180. I only get 6 so poundage makes a difference. Prefer does. They eat better.
I live in Utah. We have to enter the lottery to have a chance at any deer (one deer unit is still over-the-counter, but it's a zoo -- I won't touch it unless I'm desperate).

We're allowed one male and one female Deer, Elk, and Antelope, each year. You do, however, have to draw those tags separately. The deer tags require a draw for antlered, and a draw for antlerless. The antelope tags are the same. Bull Elk can be bought over-the-counter, but cows must be drawn for. Hunters are lucky if they draw 3 tags (of various species), and entered all of the drawings (and had been applying for several years). Most hunters are more likely to get 2, if they really try hard.

In Florida, there are several species, and sub-species, of deer. Where I was, I was primarily hunting the Florida Coastal Whitetails. However, I was within 25 minutes of land that has some nice 'Bama-style, big white tails (western panhandle in HogDogs' neck of the woods). The hunting license doesn't distinguish between them (or didn't when I was there), except for the protected species (Keys Deer, etc.). Those Coastal Whitetails are dogs. They are tiny little things. The 'Bama deer that come down are good sized, though. I never hunted any of the other sub-species, so I can't comment on their "real" size.

This year, I put 2 doe Antelope in the freezer, and will be going after Bull Elk soon (easier to get, than a cow tag, and another 100+ pounds of meat).