The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 20, 2014, 10:24 AM   #1
old fart

question on oiling, how often and how much?

as most know i have a ruger service six blued, it had some small frecks of rust on cylinder that i have got smooth. i carry this gun nearly everyday around my home, on my property and open carry here in kentucky in public. a friend of mine told me that to keep any rust off a blue gun i need to take a cloth and put on pure silicone grease and add oil either barricade which i have or other gun oil. he said it would make a thick paste that would stay on longer to stop rust. seems to me it would attract dirt and dust. i have had guns for over 30yrs and have never had a rust problem but this is my first gun that i have bought with rust that i had to remove. do i just treat it like my other guns?, i use barricade on a cloth and just lightly go over them weekly. should i do it more often to my six since it's had rust removed? use the paste idea or am i oiling too much? thanks for any help.
Old July 20, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
mete

Cops and other heavy users in the past and today used a good quality , hard wax on their revolvers .I believe it was Johnson's furniture wax. There might be something better now ?
Old July 20, 2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Huskerguy

I have also heard of using Johnson's paste wax. I have tried it but exactly satisfied with the results. Tried some other liquid polishes as well. I soak mine in G96 spray as the directions state. Of course, I don't carry it. I really think most anything will work if you keep it on the firearm. Forgetting and letting it wear off is when things happen.

I have heard really good things about the Frog Lube products. http://froglube.com/
Old July 20, 2014, 09:40 PM   #4
4 Paws

Perhaps you are just overthinking this a bit much. Put a coat of ren wax on that revolver, wipe daily with a silicone cloth, and once a week a light wipe down with some CLP. Hard to believe any rust or corrosion will overcome this routine.
Old July 21, 2014, 10:32 AM   #5
old fart

i went to my local store and i found turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover, and just the plain turtle wax polish. would one of these work? also the rust remover will it take off bluing? thanks
Old July 21, 2014, 10:46 AM   #6
natman

Anything that's a rust remover will likely remove bluing as well. You want a straight wax with no polish or rust removers. I've used Johnson's Paste Wax on blued rifles that were on elk hunts in rain, sleet and snow without a speck of rust. Apply a light coat, let dry, buff. Repeat once.