The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Remingtonvadeer

Scents An other attractants.

Hello all,
Dunno If this really falls in the catagory, but I am looking to try new scents an attractants on this new piece of land I found yest. Cant bait so Am looking for some scents to get some bucks in. If anyones has some good scents they use or attractant they use an It is good then Let me know. Im kinda iffy bout going an buying that com'mere deer. Dont really think it would work. OR that buckjuice stuff, I am reading reviews of deer caine bout I dont really know! IF anyone has tried It all help will work! Thanks everyone for your time an effort!
John G.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know the laws where you are but a lot of those "attractants" are under the same legal status as "baiting". Salt licks, "Come'er Deer", and the similar products are often illegal.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Remingtonvadeer

really. i know laying food or feeding them are illegal not scents. anything they cant eat is legal salt licks mineral licks are all illegal but not sprays or powder componds their legal checked today.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:57 PM   #4
jakec2789

I have used some Tink's products in the past. Deer will come in to them, however they are very skittish and will not probably stick around long. Doe in heat only works so well when there is no doe present. So I would suggest putting them in a shooting lane, and not waiting to take a suitable shot.

Code blue is also a good product.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Al57

In 25 seasons hunting deer in tree stands and ground blinds ( I have to get them in fairly close & most of the deer I have harvested have been within 50 yards, many less ), I have found that paying attention to wind direction works and trumps cover and luring scents for me. One year several seasons ago, as more of a lark than anything else, I had a doe urine cotton ball near a stand. Deer close in walked right past it, paying it zero attention. It's my belief, based on personal experience, that if the wind is in your favor, you need no cover scent. If it's not, I'm not convinced the best cover scent out there will fool deer.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing works consistently.

Some things work occasionally, some work never.

For example, one year I had some Tinks69 that looked like a deodorant stick. I have no idea if they still make that version or not. Anyway, I rubbed some of it on the side of a tree upwind of me and climbed into my stand. About 1/2 hour later a 5-point came from upwind and walked right past the tree. As soon as he was downwind of the tree he stopped, looked back, did the "lip curl" thing and turned around straight back to that tree. He was standing there literally licking bark off the tree when the arrow went through his lungs.

Another time, I had some Tinks69 in a film canister with cotton swabs. It was about 20 yards in front of me. The wind was blowing left/right. A small buck came from my right, directly on the trail where I had the canister sitting, so he was directly downwind of it, and never broke step. Didn't slow down, stop and sniff, nothing. Like it wasn't even there.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:13 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In florida, "baiting" is feeding. The rest are considered "attractants" or "mineral supplements"...
thus they are legal here. P-nut butter on a tree is baiting though
Vanilla extract on a tampon hanging from a twig is an "attractant".
Brent
Old November 30, 2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Remingtonvadeer

thanks all for the help. yea here in va you can have attractant but as soon as a deer can eat it like pellets or anything its feeding. So you have to be careful what you get. Thanks for the advice everyone, I will have to try some new things an waste money or eat deer
Old December 1, 2009, 05:33 AM   #9
shortwave

I`ve had very good luck over the years with a product called 'Trails Blend' made by Wildlife Research. Works all season`s and is buck/doe attractant. During bow I`ll usually get about 50yds from stand, get rag out, dose it down and start dragging towards stand. Reapplying about every 40ft. Get to stand and hang rag in tree. I`ve sit in stand and watched deer come in on trail with nose on ground. Not a guarantee but it works.
Old December 1, 2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Uncle Buck

I use vanilla extract is a film canister, with a tampon stuck in it. The tampon comes with a string so you can hang it from a tree (well, that is not the intended purpose of it, but that is what I use it for).
If I am hunting over a bean field or a corn field that has been cut, I tie a white handkerchief on a pole and put the vanilla extract on that. The waving motion of the handkerchief and the smell of the vanilla seem to either bring them in much closer, or at least slow them down.
Somewhere along the trail, my nephew has the deer cain put out. He says he sees lots of tracks in it, but he has never seen a deer near the stuff. Maybe they only go by at night.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I tried the vanilla a couple of years ago. I got 2 bottles of 100% real vanilla. One bottle I used in film canisters with cotton balls. The other I splashed all at once all over some plants that had two or three trails going through the middle of them. In no case did any deer that I saw ever appear to react at all. One deer went right through the middle of the plants and must have had vanilla at least 5 feet in every direction. It never acted like it even smelled the stuff, though I'm sure it did. I was 20 yards away and 20 feet up a tree and I could smell it the whole time.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Remingtonvadeer

yea, well thanks ima have to see bout the vanilla, Something or another, but thanks all for your thoughts!
Old December 1, 2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
yea, well thanks ima have to see bout the vanilla
Make sure it's the real deal. Not "imitation" vanilla. My limited experience produced no results anyway, but I'm told that only real vanilla will work.