The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
flintlock.50

RCBS AR dies vs Redding vs other?

I've read a lot of reviews of .223 dies and am getting conflicting opinions. Some say their Redding dies are the best going. Others have given very poor reviews. Same thing for the RCBS dies, including the AR dies. Some swear BY them, others swear AT them. I've always used RCBS for .38 spl and .30-06 and am happy with them.

Any experience with either of these on this forum? What about the Dillon carbide dies? They are ferociously expensive, but if they simplify the job they might be worth it.

I'm not a competitor, so I don't need bench rest accuracy. I think if I could get <2 MOA I'd be happy, <1 I'd be ecstatic.

Thanks!

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Bart B.

Depending on how one sets up a die and uses it, any one make and type will get reviews all over the scale. So I'll suggest a make and model based on the success this place has with accuracy, dependability, and cost effectiveness.

Redding Full Bushing S dies and Redding standard seating dies are used by Sierra Bullets processing their fired cases to reload them and test their bullets for accuracy if those S type dies are available. Otherwise, Sierra uses standard Redding full length sizing dies.

Personally, I think the RCBS Gold Medal full bushing dies are just as good.

Buy what you're gonna feel the best with.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
jib

Here is a data point:

My son shoots .223 competitively. Our club had produced some national champions, so I trust the coach implicitly. His shooting coach said just about any dies would be fine (we bought Lee), but get a specific seating die (Redding competition micrometer). The one seating die cost over twice what the regular die set cost.

For rifle you are lubing the cases, so carbide is not required.

My other dies are mostly RCBS. I don't have a good reason other than they seem like good bang for the buck and work well for me.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4
mehavey

Quote:
I'm not a competitor, so I don't need bench rest accuracy. I think if I could get <2 MOA I'd be happy, <1 I'd be ecstatic.
Standard RCBS dies would not only be fine, but easily get you sub-moa if you, the load, and the rifle itself are up to it.
No

I regard Redding/Comp/Micrometer seaters (and those by Forster) as the cat's meow--and have several--but they are waaaaaayyyy overkill.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:01 PM   #5
flintlock.50

I shoulda mentioned that this is for an AR platform, though I figured this was understood. RCBS is pushing their AR dies as specifically made for the AR to guarantee smooth chambering. It sounds like these dies are not necessary, right?

Thanks

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 9, 2013, 05:04 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I am feeling generous today. I have a set of RCBS Small Base Dies. I do not have any need for them. Flintlock if you wnat them send me a PM I will sell mine to you for $25 shipped.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:34 PM   #7
RobertInIowa

I like both RCBS and Redding. For seating I always use the Redding Competition dies, just my preference.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:03 AM   #8
mehavey

If one is not using discarded military 5.56 brass fired from a large-headspace machine gun, it's (very) unlikely a small-base die will ever be required.
Even then it likely need to be only needed first time to "re-baseline" the case. after that, regular dies do the job just fine.

(Box-o-truth: I have/use small base on both my ARs and and my M1A -- but that's `cause I got the dies long ago as XMas presents.)
Old January 11, 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
GWS

You might want small-base dies in the following circumstances:

1. You want your large stash of reloads to work for sure in any AR you might ever own or shoot, not just the one you have now. The same reason factory ammo is more reliable than reloads in all guns in good condition. Their bases are smaller still....except wolf, and some blue box Federals.

2. You own an AR, that is designed for commercial (.308, .223) rather than military, and it's designed with a tight chamber where accuracy is first and reliability is second. Varmint guns come to mind. My Remington R25 .308 is an example....hell it won't dependably shoot Wolf or even Federal Blue Box. But it runs my small-base sized reloads like water down a hill.

You already have small-based dies if you have any bottleneck Dillon Dies...they don't make any other kind. I've documented that on this forum before, from Dillon.

I'd take up m&p45acp10+1 on his offer, but I already have both small-based and regular dies in both AR's most popular calibers.