The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 03:55 PM   #1
savage1r

Gun Show Madness

Just a little taste of what I experienced in my towns local gun show. Lines, more people than I've ever seen, unbelievably high prices on guns, mags, etc. What are your guys thoughts? You think this will stay the same, get worse or get better?

VIDEO LINK
Old January 8, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

It will stay this way until the threat of legislation/confiscation goes away. If any of that legislation gets passed, it will only get worse
Old January 8, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
stingray2100

All I can say is this.

Amen and god bless him. One County is not enough to win the state.

Hope that he can keep pushing hard and his community backs him up.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
No1der

Quote:
Just a little taste of what I experienced in my towns local gun show. Lines, more people than I've ever seen, unbelievably high prices on guns, mags, etc. What are your guys thoughts? You think this will stay the same, get worse or get better?

VIDEO LINK
Good grief, is that a local gun shop or a gun show? I ask because if that's a shop then hysteria has hit an all time high.

It's great for the economy that folks are buying everything they can get their hands on. However I think they are going to regret paying 3 times the price of a (whichever) gun once no significant gun control doesn't go into effect.

This is just my opinion but I don't believe that anything even remotely close to a "HUGE GUN BAN" is in the cards for us in the foreseeable future. Maybe the 100 round clips will be controlled or banned but aside from that I don't think anything approaching these peoples greatest fears is going to happen.

Thanks for the video, that's an eye opener for me. WOW.
Old January 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
elDiabloLoco

Relatively speaking, seems like there is hardly anybody at your show.

The local show here in early December was difficult to walk through, aisles were two people deep on each side, maybe a slightly larger hall.

I came back to sport shooting three months(and four years) too late.

Sure hope the anti-nutz don't get their way. The "poll-tax" on the sport may well have me restricted to 22lr. Maybe regress back to slingshots so they will concentrate on passing laws against marble-to-egg sized rocks.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Fairgrounds gun show....

The big gun show at the fairgrounds had record size crowds last weekend. I did not go but I've to 2 or 3 at the same place in the 2000s.
The venue is huge so SRO crowds is a sure sign of the gun buying madness.
I'd venture a guess & say about 30-40% of the crowd was new gun owners, entry level shooters or 2A/right-wing/political types who want a firearm before a mandated gun ban or new law.
The gun show crowd there is not really my scene. A lot of mall ninja crap, IL Nazis, dank tables, and odors of BO & Chinese food.
The weapons & firearms are marked-up and the booths are staffed with young sales clerks who can't understand the difference between nickel & stainless steel.
Or they say; "I don't like DA only pistols cause you can't cock it."
No $#*+.

CF
Old January 8, 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
TXAZ

I've reduced my trips to gun shows by about 80% since 2000: Better deals are generally online or at a local gun shop.

Unless there is something I know that is going to be there that I can't find elsewhere, the crowds, ridiculous parking and entry prices are a pretty good deterrent to me.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 8, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Joe_Pike

That venue looked nearly empty compared to the last show I was at. It was uncomfortable to just try and walk around in, let alone trying to get close enough to a table to actually look at something. It was difficult to locate the jerky, also.
Old January 8, 2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Justice06RR

Quote:
Unless there is something I know that is going to be there that I can't find elsewhere, the crowds, ridiculous parking and entry prices are a pretty good deterrent to me.
It really depends on the area. My local gun show has free parking and only $9 entry. Yes it is crowded NOW, but only now due to the current climate of firearms industry. The previous one in November even after the election was not bad in my area.

You really just have to be smart and patient when you go. For example, I picked up a used Glock19 for $360 and AR mags new for $25. They are there, you just have to look...

It will probably get worse before it gets better.