The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2009, 01:46 AM   #26
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
BTW... anyone ever put a shotgun slug over black powder ???
Yes if a 500gr/.58cal Minnie ball over 60gr of ffg BP counts.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old November 2, 2009, 05:08 AM   #27
willard-slug

Yes look in the movie, I fire a +/- 600gn slug with +/- 75gn BP. WIth a vintage W M1893
Old November 2, 2009, 07:30 AM   #28
FL-Flinter

I never ran the .30 carbine on BP but have run my .45acp; .45colt; .38/.357 & 9x19 on 3F real black. You'll have to adjust the load until you get it burning fairly clean. The load will determine when the chambers will need cleaning but I've run 30-40 through my 1911 before needing to wipe the chamber out. I didn't work the 9x19 load enough and it needs to be wiped after 15 rounds. The pistol barrels are short enough that a bullet with standard lube grooves usually carries enough lube to suffice.

One issue you're going to have is that bullet molds made for smokeless powder are going to drop bullets on the small side when using soft alloy because of the higher shrink rate. If the chambers and barrel are good, BP will run fine with bullets cast from straight WW alloy provided the bullets are the normal 0.001-0.003" oversize. If you have to use softer alloy, you can usually lap the mold enough to make up for the shrinkage.

Use a drop-tube to charge the cases and start with very little compression like 0.050" because often times too much compression fouls more and reduces accuracy depending on how the load interacts with the gun. With the small diameter cases, it's likely going to be that you'll find full-length resizing is going to be a problem with the BP loads. Depending on the combination of chamber and bullet size, you may not need to resize at all and if you do only the neck area should be sized and that only enough to provide enough tension to hold the bullet in place.

3F Triple-Seven did work fairly well in the .357mag under a 210gr bullet but only with very slight compression, anything more than about 0.050" and it became very inconsistent from shot-shot - had the same experience in the .45colt w/ 260gr bullets.