The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 29, 2013, 01:32 PM   #1
mumblyj0e

Shipping Handguns via Fedex

So, I ordered a handgun from a website with a good deal on. In their terms they pretty clearly spelled out that unless I added insurance, the package would be shipped uninsured and they'd not be responsible for loss or damage. I was pretty sure I'd checked the insurance button and that they were sending via UPS or USPS, not FedEx. (If i'd known it was FedEx I probably would have told them to keep it)but on the statement they don't seem to have billed for insurance.

Anyway, It's been 79 hours since the last tracking update and I'm starting to get a sinking feeling that history is repeating itself as FedEx's phenomonal incompetence leads to my 3'rd lost package in a row. I'm getting used to the signs of a lost package at this point.

Now, my question has less to do with FedEx's terrible service, and more to do with the shipper's responsibility- Obviously I should have double checked that insurance was applied to the charges before it left their warehouse.

As I've looked into it, though, It seems to me the shipper is not not in compliance with FedEx guidelines and even if I had purchased insurance FedEx wouldn't have done any good because the shipment was not in adherence with those terms. The shipper sent the firearm, a handgun, via ground service. As I understand it FedEx doesn't accept any handguns via ground service regardless of the shipper and recipient's licensing, and requires that the contents be declared when tendered to FedEx. If it had been declared then FedEx would have told them then and there that it had to go 2'nd day air.

Am I incorrect here or has the seller sent this thing improperly? Is it possible that FedEx x-rayed it, found out it was a firearm and pulled it?
Old April 29, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Some things are unclear:

[1] You were having it shipped to an FFL, weren't you? And the FFL hasn't received it?

[2] Did you order it from a dealer, and was it being shipped by a dealer? You say you thought it was being shipped by UPS or USPS, but only a dealer may ship a handgun by USPS.

[3] Do you have any documentation that you requested and agreed to pay for insurance? When you noticed on the receipt that you weren't charged for insurance, did you contact the seller for clarification?

If the handgun is lost and you can establish that you requested insurance, you might have some recourse against the seller. However, you might have a problem if you didn't inquire about the apparent discrepancy with the receipt.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 29, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

I am assuming also that the gun was sent to an FFL. A manufacturer/distributor shipping to an FFL is NOT require to ship handguns overnight. OP needs to provide more info.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

FedEx around the holidays...

I've learned to be very leery of using FedEx around the holidays.
I had a package lost and some one took it at the wrong address.
Old April 30, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

And I am in the opposite camp - I have had nothing but great service from Fedex and lousy service from UPS

UPS left a package on my doorstep that had adult sig required because it contained a LOT of powder and primers......right............
Old April 30, 2013, 03:20 PM   #6
2ndsojourn

Twice I've had UPS deliver someone else's package to me with a similar street name to mine but way across town. I looked him up and called and he came and picked it up both times.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
357 Python

I have shipped a gun once and used FedEx. They do require 2nd day air for firearms. My Python got to Colt safely and was returned using FedEx safely.
Old April 30, 2013, 04:22 PM   #8
deepcreek

The other day I heard someone outside so I looked it was the UPS guy he trudged to the neighbors house walks up to the door and just drops a package on the ground from wast high, to lazy to set it down. Then trudges off to his truck, no door bell nothing. I have also seen them dump packages off in busy hallways for them to just sit there as masses of people walk by all day.

Insurance is good for anything valuable. Many people send guns out without saying they gun because it is cheaper, not sure if insurance will cover guns in cases like that, the ATF might be interested to know where the missing gun is though.
Old April 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
maestro pistolero....A manufacturer/distributor shipping to an FFL is NOT require to ship handguns overnight. OP needs to provide more info.
Both UPS & FedEx require Next Day/Overnight for anyone shipping handguns...........and nothing in their tariffs mentions an exemption for firearm manufacturers or distributors. Both WILL alter their tariffs for high volume shippers.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 30, 2013, 07:37 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

S&W uses Fedex, bit it is not next day - at least not when they shipped my gun back to me - it was a second day form of air-saver type of service that worked just fine
Old May 1, 2013, 07:07 AM   #11
CowTowner

CMP also uses FedEX. That's how my Garand was delivered. Shipped on a Friday, delivered on Monday.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 2, 2013, 10:07 PM   #12
airbornefirearms

FedEx is typically a better service, but mistakes happen. It was probably declared on the package that it was a handgun. The driver probably did not catch it, but when it got bat to the dangerous goods manager, it got kicked backed. At that point, the shipper would have to go pick it up at the closest sort facility, which could cause delays. This comes down to the shipper, not FedEx.

Tags
fedex , firearm , handgun , online , shipping