The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Tuckered

Opps, my C&R expired:

I haven't used my C&R license for years. I went to use it, but to my suprise, the thing has expired recently. I did not get a renewel notice or anything at all, despite not moving. I've had a C&R license since the late 1990's but I have never sold a gun since I have actually had the darn thing. It's not about having a massive supply of firearms, (since I don't) but more about wanting to be able to aquire one when I want, even through the mail.

When I get a new license:

1> I am assuming that I can't renew because it is expired. (Can't renew something that is gone.) Is the true?

2> Will the license number of the new FFL be the same?

I would rather have the same license number, so, I have been thinking about sending a copy of the expired FFL to the batf with the renewel notice. It is for convience.

Any thoughts?

Thank You
Old March 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #2
musher

I had the same experience

1. Yes you'll have to reapply. Not a renewal
2. Your new license will have a different number.

I gave the ATF folks a call and there was no option to renew the old license or keep the old number.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
snipecatcher

When mine was about to expire I got a letter in the mail. I was a college student at the time, so with as much moving as I did and the hassle of changing my address, I just let it expire. The nice thing about the C&R is that you don't have to keep your records for 20 years. In fact you don't have to keep them at all once it expires, though if you've sold some guns, it may be a good idea to.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
jag2

Other than getting a new number it shouldn't be that big a deal. I got my renewal package about 8 weeks before it expired. There are still forms you have to fill out and send a copy to your CLO. Not quite as bad as the original app but close. You know how the government loves their paperwork.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Tuckered

Thank for the quick replies.