The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2010, 09:07 PM   #1

I was watching "The Bucks of Tecomate"

Well, I cannot say that I am addcited to that show because I feel it is a pretty unrealistic representation of deer hunting. I mean David Morris would have to try real hard not to get a huge buck. That ranch is just sick with trophy deer and that guy has way too much money. But, I did see something that I thought was a very interesting idea. It concerned baiting and I think it just might work here in Michigan. Mr. Morris's idea was to use baiting for culling does only. He said that there is a number of states that would like to reduce the number of does.

The Department of Natural Resources banned baiting in Michigan's lower pennisula because they feared the spread of CWD but have banned other areas in the past to prevent the Bovine Tuberculosis as well.

So, baiting is banned how is this going to work? Well. Michigan is now kicking around the idea of selling season premits to bait. It would seem they need the money more so than worrying about the spread of disease. Mr. Morris also suggested that the baiting would only be allowed during a doe only season to make bucks off limits while the bait is on the ground. Michigan currently offers an early and late doe only season.

My questions are, would this type of structure work in your state and/or does your state have anything like this in place currently?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

Wasting disease

The Division of Wildlife has pretty much discounted the idea that this disease can cross species. I am not an official spokesperson (even for the household...the grandkids take precedence) but I think the reaction to wasting disease was a bit overblown.
Old August 7, 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
hooligan1

Yeah, here in Missouri, baiting is illegal... And I don't think it's even needed here because during doe, antlerless season theres usually enough running around here to harvest them. David's ranch is covered in thick brush, that necessitates different ways of bring the deer out in the open. With all that being said, where does this have any impact on CWD, this baiting deer thing??? Is Michigan thick and brushy like the Tecomate? I kinda like that idea of purchasing bait permits, HOWEVER, IMHO, ONLY ON PRIVATE LAND!!!! Maybe it could be part of the landowners tags!??

Too much coffee again

Last edited by hooligan1; August 9, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4

Well, I believe that the CWD scare in Michigan was blown way out of proportion. It was an isolated cases involving a pen raised deer that had been purchased out of state. Michigan's DNR believes that bait piles encourage nose to nose contact between deer and hence the spread of disease. I am sure there is some truth to that theory. I think that there are alternatives to dumping 100 lbs of corn in a big pile. I am not a bait pile type of guy anyway but, if the DNR wants to bring baiting back then I would like to see some restrictions. I think the doe only concept could work. One other point that Mr Morris made was that having the bait there would allow the hunter to look over the animals. This would help insure that hunters took matures does and not button bucks.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 9, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
I think that there are alternatives to dumping 100 lbs of corn in a big pile.
Sure there are. Just ask any Florida deer hunter. We use broadcast feeders. The corn is spun in about a 20ft radious. We normally use a 2 second spin, so it is only spinning about a half pound of corn at a time.

We normally set the feeders to spin twice each day. The first is just after legal sunup and the 2nd about an hour before sundown. The deer usually feed there at night, but sometimes an unwary one (usually young does) will come during the daytime. The smart deer stop by at night and get a few kernals. It broadcasts just enough to keep them in the general area.

Most of the morning spin is eaten by squirrels and turkeys (which cannot be hunted near a feeder).
Old August 9, 2010, 04:12 PM   #6
ZeroJunk

Quote:
The Division of Wildlife has pretty much discounted the idea that this disease can cross species. I am not an official spokesperson (even for the household...the grandkids take precedence) but I think the reaction to wasting disease was a bit overblown.
I hope you are right. I have to say that CWD has made me a little nervous about eating elk. But, you would think it would be showing up in humans by now if it was a concern. Some of the other spongiforms like those in sheep have been around for centuries and don't seem to bother humans.

As far as I know it has always been legal to bait deer in N.C., but I don't thonk we have had any cases of CWD. It is definitely a good way to gather up some doe. Big bucks, not so much.
Old August 13, 2010, 07:06 PM   #7
James R. Burke

This wont answer your question complete. I live in the U.P. of Michigan were you can bait. I wish they would stop it here, and get back to knowing the deer better, and there habits. The trouble is if you don't bait you wont stand a chance. Everyone around you have piles out so your forced to. If they would stop it then the farmers would be in a bind with all the corn, sugar beats, etc they grow for the season. Then I imange we would need to give them money so they don't go under. What will happen is we will wait till there is a major problem then stop it when it is to late in the game. I remember hunting when baiting was not even a issue. You scouted and new the runs, bedding areas, feeding area's etc, and hunted. We have limits on how much you can put out but very few follow it. You sometimes will see a whole pickup truck load dumped of cabbage, corn, sugar beats, etc. Then when season is over no more food. If no one baited I would be good with that. I think your odds would be as good or better if you new what you were doing. Starting before season all the gas station, stores, and about anywhere a person would stop is loaded with bait. You use to need to go to a feed mill. Not no more the whole U.P. turns into one during season.