The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 26, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
dogfish

Waiting for gun permit in Indiana

On December 12, 2012 I put in for a Indiana carry gun permit. I did all paper work on computer and went to sheriffs department and paid them their money. at this time April 26, 2013 I have not received my permit. A friend put his in a month after I did and got his 3 weeks ago. Does this sound right.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Have you followed up with the issuing agency to make sure that all of your paperwork is in order and has been received?
Old April 26, 2013, 03:24 PM   #3
dogfish

I have tried to contact by phone calls and e-mails. nothing back on e-mail and no answers on phone calls. They act like its a big secret. Im 64 years old and never had any problems with the law or anything else. just dont understand.
Old April 26, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm unfamiliar with Indiana law on this point, so I'm afraid I may not be of much help in figuring out what legal steps that you could take. On a more practical note, how far away is the issuing agency? If they won't answer phone calls, with they respond to you standing at the window, saying, "Excuse me, ma'am? I have a question . . ." ?
Old April 26, 2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Gaerek

Second what Spats said. When I sent mine in for Arizona, I called them a week after I sent it in to make sure they got it all and that they had everything they needed. I'd do that before anything else.

Is it at all possible that you might not be able to pass the background check they will do on you? I'm not implying anything, but if you've had certain types of charges, convictions, etc, they may deny you. But in that case, I'd imagine they'd let you know.

EDIT: You guys are faster than me. :P
Old April 26, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

You may want to join the Indiana Gun Owners' forum, they have an active thread regarding the wait time for a handgun license:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_...ltch_wait.html
Old April 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Webleymkv

They're backed up pretty badly. My younger brother applied for his back in December (I don't remember the exact date) and just got his in the mail yesterday.

Are you applying for the license for the first time or renewing a 4-year license? When I renewed my license back in '08 (upgraded from 4-year to lifetime) mine actually expired before the new one came (I had to wait two months at that time). I called the state police before the license expired and was told that so long as I had my old license and the receipt from the local PD where I renewed with me that I could continue to carry until the new license came in.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Messages...

I just posted a remark in another forum topic about how my security industry mandated license has now taken over 5 weeks to process.
In the past(2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, etc) the state Div of Licensing only took approx 2/3 weeks.

My new US State Dept passport & ID card were made in just 8 working days.

The huge increase of new gun owners & concealed carry licenses is a part of it I think.

ClydeFrog
Old April 27, 2013, 11:18 PM   #9
LED

Indianapolis isn't too far from anywhere in the state. Next time there, try to inquire in person. A few years ago in a similar situation I worked the phones. Today I would make a day trip if I had to.