The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
rgitzlaff

Lee Press breakage

Does anyone else who uses the Lee Challenger press have problems with the cast aluminum linkage breaking? Last night mine broke for the third time while sizing some .30-06 brass for my Garand. Each time Lee replaces it free of charge, but this is getting annoying. This time I'm just going to fabricate my own linkage from some steel bar stock. It just pisses me off that everytime I pull that lever, the darn thing could break again. After I have my replacement made, I will have confidence in the structural integrity of my press. I would buy a new press but this one works fine for my needs right now, though if I get any more different calibers, I should probably invest in a turret press with a bunch of spare turrets.
Old November 1, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
gandog56

I'm on my third set. Of course I've had the press twenty years. Really wish they would make them out of steel. But at least they are fairly cheap. the funny thing is, it seems that 9mm cases are the hardest on them.
Old November 1, 2007, 12:07 PM   #3
rwilson452

If your looking for a single stage press that won't break look at the Lee Classic Cast press. I'm not selling the new Classic Turret short. It seems to be a good press too. As I recall the presses are close in price.
Old November 1, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I think the new Challenger press has the same linkage as the classic turret. It's new and has a breech lock system for quick change dies.
Rusty
Old November 1, 2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Red_Eagle

I got the Classic Cast last month. It's a real brute. I use it for all my resizing and large primer seating. The RCBS Pardner it replaced is used for bullet seating and priming 223.
Old November 1, 2007, 05:52 PM   #6
toolguyb

I had to replace mine once, but in all fairness it has done alot of 223 resizing!!
For the price it cost, I am surprised it has done so well
Old November 1, 2007, 05:56 PM   #7
mc223

How much doe's it cost to save all that money when buying a Lee?
Old November 1, 2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Uncle Don

Hasn't cost me a dime in over 20 years. Take that back, I had a connecting link on an auto prime replaced about 15 years ago. The Classic presses are made of cast iron and steel so they should take the abuse that many dish out.
Old November 2, 2007, 10:38 AM   #9
Leeman

Lee press breakage

Read your Lee Guarantee on the instruction sheet. If you don’t have it anymore go www.leeprecision.com and read it there.

It’s quite simple and straightforward. If it breaks in the first two years it with be repaired or replaced as needed at no charge. After two years send it back with half the current retail price and get a brand new one. You pay to get it there and they pay to get it back to you. This goes for every thing including parts, dies, presses, parts, etc. Normally they take your word for how old it is. They expect people are honest. But they do have dating means. Many items have dates on them so be fair.

The Challenger Press has been discontinued and was replaced with the “Breech Lock Challenger” they can’t replace the old Challenger. John Lee assured me if anyone sends and old Challenger with $35.50 ( that’s half the list price) they will send the new Breech Lock Challenger Press.

I had one of the new Breech lock Challengers presses for testing. Fit and finish is outstanding. All of the shortcomings of the old Challenger have been fixed. Steel connecting links almost like those on the Lee Classic Cast 50 BMG. The toggle lever is clamped with a large steel drawbar. It is adjustable for length so you can have smaller hand movement for short cases. I seriously doubt it is possible to break this press. These new parts are useable on the old Challenger.
The cross pins are aircraft type bolts with crown lock nuts, snug them up and all side play is eliminated. It is one tight press.
I ran a hundred 45 ACP through it and watched every primer hit dead center in the primer catcher and slide into the plastic tube. Cases are primed on the press with the Lee safety Primer. All brands of primes are safe to use, because the actual priming operation is remote from the primer feeder. I also loaded some 30/06 target loads with Lee collet dies. They worked flawlessly. The breach lock system works fine. I personally prefer a turret press.
The frame is made from 48,000 pound strength aluminum. (Cast iron is only 30,000) that’s why iron presses need to be so much larger.

Last edited by Leeman; November 2, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old November 2, 2007, 01:18 PM   #10
fourrobert13

A big +1 for the Lee Classic Cast. It is all I use for rifle reloading. From .223 to .308, it is solid.
Old November 2, 2007, 03:46 PM   #11
jdmick

I've never owned a Challenger but I'm surpised they last at all for how flimsy they look. Does anyone know if the Anniversary kits will be coming with the new Challenger updates and if the price of the kit will stay the same?
Old November 2, 2007, 05:44 PM   #12
CrustyFN

It's $128 at the Lee site so that means you can get it cheaper someplace else.
Rusty
Old November 2, 2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Uncle Don

Just picked up a breech lock press. I've got a Classic Turret which is too convenient to give up, but the breech lock is easy to throw up on the bench and pop different caliber bullet sizers in and out. The primer disposal works great and if I didn't have a press at all, I'd be very happy with one. I started out on a Challenger and this is certainly an improved design of that.