The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 14, 2018, 12:41 AM   #51
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKirk View Post
I've been thinking on getting a vertical shoulder holster to carry my CZ 75 around in for the winter. Anyone use a shoulder holster? Anyone hate them? I've never used one or even tried one on before.

Seeing as how in the winter I usually am wearing a coat around town, and hardly ever take it off (I just unbutton it while indoors,) a shoulder holster would be a more accessible but still concealable option than an OWB or IWB holster, just because I could just reach down the front of my coat, instead of trying to reach back under a heavy winter coat. Your thoughts?
Just got one of these U.S. Military Issue Adirondack M7/M9 Tanker Holsters in brown NIB for $30 off Amazon for my 1911-A1. It's also spec'ed for the M9 Beretta so the CZ 75 should work.

(and it's leather, so it will adjust)

(belly not included)

It's already taken three heavy applications of "Sno Seal" on both sides of the leather (half a jar), being dark bagged and left on the dashboard of my truck in the sun for a day in between.

The leather is just starting to soften up.

Red
Old August 14, 2018, 04:49 PM   #52
PushPuller

This thread came up just in time! Iv been considering a shoulder holster because everything else just seems to show on my frame. Im about 6'1" and 170 pounds and anything around the waist sticks out like a sore thumb. During the winter im almost always in an oversized Carhartt and have been thinking about trying a shoulder holster.
Old August 15, 2018, 07:32 AM   #53
agtman

Quote:
Iv been considering a shoulder holster because everything else just seems to show on my frame. Im about 6'1" and 170 pounds and anything around the waist sticks out like a sore thumb. During the winter im almost always in an oversized Carhartt and have been thinking about trying a shoulder holster.
Actually, there's a 'variation' on the non-belt holster theme (whether OWB or IWB) that's not a true shoulder holster: it's the center-chest holster.

Most center-chest rigs have adjustable straps like shoulder holsters, but the holster itself is positioned either dead center (mid-thoracic/sternum area), or slighter lower and a bit left (for a right-hander), thus giving you a very slight cross-draw effect.

Although 'open carry' while in the deep dark boonies appears to be the default carry-method that C-C rigs were designed for, you can run them concealed if you dress for it. While I wouldn't try doing it in hot summer weather, in cool fall weather with a jacket, and certainly in cold winter weather with an overcoat, a C-C rig is concealable. Certainly no worse than a SH.

When I was looking at C-C rigs for my 10mm Glock 40, I looked at the Kanai, Galco (Great Alaskan), and the Diamond-D Alaskan Guide models. The Galco & Diamond-D are leather; the Kanai is Kydex. The Kanai is probably the 'lightest' of these rigs, and the maker offers it in a lot variations to fit whatever handgun you have. Diamond-D offers a lot of variety as well, especially for the magnum-revolver crowd.

I ended up with the Galco GA rig since it was on sale and there was also a discount on the spare mag carrier which fits on the cross strap. I can carry 15+1 in the G40, with another 15-rd mag within reach. While this particular gun and C-C holster set-up is for a dedicated 'woods gun' role, the Galco also fits my G20, and will likely fit my G29 too, although I haven't tried that one yet.

If the idea of a SH riding under your armpit all day isn't for you, but you're not happy with the choices in belt-holsters for a particular gun either, you might want to look into the center-chest holsters.

Last edited by agtman; August 15, 2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old August 17, 2018, 03:05 PM   #54
Cosmodragoon

I've used a variety of shoulder holsters over the years and here is what I've learned:

1. Getting a good fit is paramount.

2. This method is ONLY good for colder weather or circumstances in which you can reliably count on wearing a cover garment for the whole day.

3. I find vertical carry not only more comfortable but MUCH less of a safety hazard in terms of pointing at everyone behind you, presenting a grip for someone in front of you, or sweeping your arm and/or the whole room on the draw. If you do wear a vertical holster, spend a lot of time practicing your draw and get used to minimizing that sweep.

4. I saw the comment about layers causing problems but really, this can be a problem with lots of carry methods. Some cover garments work better than others. I shoulder carry enough to keep it in mind when I buy jackets. I like jackets that can be worn open but rest in place, if that makes sense. The LL Bean Field Coat works well for this. I also like garments that you only close at the bottom, like blazers or heavier cardigans. (Yeah, I actually pull off Mr. Rogers carry from time to time.)

5. Shoulder carry is king if you spend lots of time seated in tight spaces, such as driving a vehicle or working in a cubicle.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:13 PM   #55
Ben Dover

I quit using "Cowboy" holsters (on the belt) decades ago. My shoulder rigs are Galco Miami special and Bianchi. Mostly Galco I can conceal my SIG P226 under an unbuttoned flannel shirt.

And when I need to drain my bladder (which you do more often as you age) I don't have to use a closed stall because of my weapon.

And I can drive all day, comfortably, with the shoulder rigs.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old August 30, 2018, 10:17 PM   #56
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
And when I need to drain my bladder (which you do more often as you age) I don't have to use a closed stall because of my weapon.

And I can drive all day, comfortably, with the shoulder rigs.
Right on! I forgot about that first part... It also helps on the off chance that you have to do some serious reading in the stall. Shoulder carry eliminates what I'd consider a fairly serious class of carry incidents involving tile floors.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:05 PM   #57
4V50 Gary
Staff

I prefer vertical draw for revolvers and horizontal carry for pistols. Shoulder holsters are great for the woods. As one person I know recently found out, when you have to squat in the woods, your firearm is not an issue.
Old September 1, 2018, 06:04 PM   #58
rickyrick

Wow found a thread where I hadn’t become such a troll yet lol. Still use the bianchi on a regular basis...
As far as the potty break goes, with a hip holster I’ve sat in the public restroom stall with my pistol laying in the crotch of my pants which were accordioned down to my ankles... more than once.

My advice, make a bunch of messy wet sounds and no one will mess with you.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:21 PM   #59
KyJim

Not meaning to get too graphic, but I don't have to take off an IWB or OWB belt holster to use the urinal. That thing in the front is called a zipper. Just pull down on the little tab and you'll have access to what you need.

I will say, however, that I've got a couple of pairs of pants where the zippers don't seem to come down as far as they should. It probably saves the manufacturer a couple of cents.
Old September 4, 2018, 02:29 PM   #60
gwpercle

I have one from the 70's , remember Harry Callahan.....Dirty Harry , "Make My Day "...we all had to have one !
It's an OK carry method as long as you keep your coat on and don't let the coat flap open.
Gary
Old September 5, 2018, 04:34 PM   #61
donkee

While at an estate sale I found a brand new Bianchi suede shoulder holster. Looked kinda small but for $10 I figured I would pick it up to see if any of my little autos would fit. My Walther PP fit perfectly. Now, I never even for a second considered a shoulder holster before that so I gave it a try around the house and yard. It fit well, held the gun securely, and I could draw with no problems. I now use it in the fall and spring with a light jacket. I doubt I'll ever get another but it is a good little rig. I keep a spare mag on my belt in an old snap shut knife pouch.
Old September 5, 2018, 07:49 PM   #62
rickyrick

10 bucks is a steal!
Old September 6, 2018, 10:38 AM   #63
jfruser

MI's & agt's posts are chock full of goodness. I'l try not to repeat.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=25

I own a Galco Miami Classic II for my 1911s (GM carried most) and a Galco VHS for my 4" bbl S&W 629. And a M9 tanker holster for my GM 1911. MCII is a horizontal shoulder holster. VHS, is a vertical shoulder holster. M9 is more a chest holster.

Relative to belt holsters, SHs are slower, less comfy, good ones are less common, and more difficult to adjust to using. And you can't use them in IDPA.

That said, I own and use them when they are the best solution.

The Galcos are of good, not great quality. The M9 Tanker is of mediocre quality, but the design is solid. Were I to use the M9 more often, I would invest in one made by El Paso Saddlery. If a SH were my primary, rather than a secondary carry method for me, I would invest in a top of the line SH, not a Galco.

With a SH adjustment is king. And small adjustments make a big difference. Take the time to get it right. Then you'll wear it and find it is not right. Repeat until it is wear-able all day with comfort.

SH are the hottest, nastiest dadgum way to pack heat in the heat and humidity. No way I would wear one in Miami year round, that would be a near-constant heat rash. Same thing out in the woods if it is hot.

That said, I can get away with only a Dickies work shirt as a cover garment. Decently heavy material and dark colors help. Still too hot for summer carry south of the M-D line. Get it a size or two larger and keep it unbuttoned. One step up in cover garment weight is a sport coat or a denim jacket.

The longer the barrel, the more attractive is vertical carry relative to a horizontal carry. Prime example is a 4" N-frame S&W. Suckers are heavy and harder to pack on a belt than a GM 1911. I am big enough to conceal a GM 1911 in a horizontal holster. Not everyone has the bulk to manage that.

No matter what you see in Hollywierd, do not dual-carry Deagles in a SH for the love of Pete.

The M9 Tanker holster is tops for physical activity, as it is out of the way.

Belt stays/loops/thingys are a nice option to keep a SH from flopping about while upright and prevent the gun & ammo from flopping forward as much if you bend forward and don't use your legs as you ought.

I have seen two main styles of wear, which pertain most to horizontal SH. First is high & up tight against the pits. The second is slung lower. H&UT is a bit more concealable and not as floppy (when upright or bent over). Lower can be more comfy and less chafe-y. H&UT is harder to put on.

If you lift or are prone to weight gain & loss, a SH will be a grand PITA. Because it will require adjustment with any significant gain or loss. I have not worn SHs for stretches due to this as I cycle through the year and as my workouts trend between cardio and moving iron.

SH are better than strong side belt holsters for driving, but still not terrific or as good as a driving-particular holster.

An ill-adjusted SH may lead to the strap folding back on itself. Attend to poor adjustment PDQ.
Old September 7, 2018, 06:01 AM   #64
donkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
10 bucks is a steal!
I used to go to estate sales every week. You won't often find firearm related goodies, but when you do is can be good stuff and usually cheap. I found a nice leather belt and holster for 1911s, Bianchi once again, for $15 that I gave to my son. It has some scuffing but is in great shape otherwise. At the time I thought I would be lucky if my Buckmark would fit but when I got home the 1911s slipped right into that puppy. Been about a year since the last sale I went to. There are too many zombies going to them now, it is no longer fun.....
Old September 7, 2018, 07:47 AM   #65
Mike Irwin
Staff

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jfruser...

I realize that I left out another pervasive argument that's often trotted out against shoulder holsters...

The "someone will walk up to you and pull your gun right out of your holster!!!!!!"

I can't even begin to say how many times I've seen that argument, and I can't even begin to quantify just how ludicrous I think it is.

First off is the theory that carrying in a shoulder holster comes with a neon sign that points to whichever armpit the gun is under with "EASY ACCESS GUN HERE!" blinking on your chest and back.

The second is that, while shoulder holsters result in your gun screaming "TAKE ME NOW!", other kinds of hoslters, including belt and SOB, are so deep cover that the gun not only disappears, it casts a cloak of invisibility over the carrier, as well.

Third is the concept that someone will just walk up and take your gun. Uhm... really? And you, the erstwhile concealed carrier, are doing what while this nefarious individual violates your halitosis zone? Standing there like a quantum-locked weeping angle?

But, if someone really could walk up you to, lock eyeballs with you, and take your gun, why couldn't someone do the same thing if you're carrying in a waist holster?

Even more of the always-unanswered question to them is... why, if someone knows you're carrying a gun, are they going to approach you from the front?

Even the dumbest criminal should know that coming up from behind and introducing Mr. Rock to Mr. Skull is MUCH better way to A) get said gun, and B) not get shot while trying to get said gun.

Of course, the counter to that observation always seems to be that you've just encountered Who Flung Poo, the 97th level Ninja Master, who stealths in and stealths out before you even know you've been stealthed!

Which leads to the final question... if you're carrying CONCEALED, no matter how you're carrying concealed, why does anyone know you're carrying concealed, neon shoulder holster announcement system not withstanding?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.