The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Lavan

BHP mag loader !!!

I have discovered that my arthritis is not making shoving rounds into my Browning a whole lot of fun.

In fact...IT HURTS !!!

Soooo.....time for a mag loader for the old geezer.

Anyone have a pet one they like?
Old October 28, 2021, 03:46 PM   #2
Catchabullet

Uplula is universally what I see people use for their double stack mags.
https://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old October 28, 2021, 03:47 PM   #3
TunnelRat

Up-LULA. Should be able to find it at any sporting goods store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 28, 2021, 04:35 PM   #4
gonzogeezer

BHP mag loader !!!

+1 for the Maglula. I have both pistol sizes, and AR and AK loaders. I wish they made them for vz58, M1 carbine, and Mini-14 as well.
Old October 28, 2021, 04:55 PM   #5
Willie Lowman

The maglula loader is the best one I have found for my CZ mags. They get very difficult after about 10 rounds loaded.

The maglula loader makes fully loading easy.
Old October 28, 2021, 05:42 PM   #6
dogtown tom

The Uplula is the single best firearm accessory one could own.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 28, 2021, 05:45 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
gonzogeezer +1 for the Maglula. I have both pistol sizes, and AR and AK loaders. I wish they made them for vz58, M1 carbine, and Mini-14 as well.
https://www.maglula.com/product/mini...plula-5-56-223

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 28, 2021, 05:48 PM   #8
gonzogeezer

BHP mag loader !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post

I have a striplula for AR for when I get surplus ammo. I’ll see if that one fits. Probably won’t.
Old October 29, 2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Lavan

That Maglula is a miracle.
Old October 29, 2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Shadow9mm

I have a maglula, they are excellent
Old October 29, 2021, 05:28 PM   #11
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogeezer View Post
I have a striplula for AR for when I get surplus ammo. I’ll see if that one fits. Probably won’t.
I have a number of magazines for 5.56 that work in both an AR-15 receiver or a Mini-14 receiver. So don't be surprised if the loader for one works for the other.
Main difference is where the magazine catch/release is. A hole in the skinny side for the Mini-14 and a different hole in the wide side for the AR.
Old October 31, 2021, 02:44 PM   #12
FairWarning

The Universal Pistol Maglula is brilliant. I have 4 of them.
Old November 1, 2021, 06:56 AM   #13
CajunBass

Did anyone mention the Maglula? I've got one of those it's pretty darn good. It's saved me many a sore thumb.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; November 1, 2021 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 1, 2021, 09:30 AM   #14
Jim Watson

There is one guy at the local USPSA shoot who uses the device that kind of scoops cartridges out of the box and acts as a stripper clip to load the magazine.
Otherwise it is UpLula all the way.
Old November 1, 2021, 11:39 AM   #15
shooter1911

I tried the Maglula single stack adapter for my 1911s, and it works great. Not totally needed, but it does help control with the thinner mags.
Old November 1, 2021, 01:13 PM   #16
Sevens

This discussion always gets a 98% vote for the UpLula. I own one also and I use it for one of my magazines but it isn't my favorite choice.

A couple decades before the UpLula hit the market, HKS was marketing a magazine loading tool. The first time I saw one in 1990-something, I looked at it and said "Hmmm, this looks like it will snap clean off." In 1994 I bought one to help load a fat double stack 9mm magazine, having bought my first 9mm handgun because the Clinton administration had targeted high cap mags.

That HKS Model 940 is still running like a champ and it's the one I like best. Where the HKS gets beat out by the UpLula is that the UpLula works for a slew of different magazines where the HKS only works properly for magazines of a similar dimension. In other words, if you bought the HKS 940, it would work great for your Hi-Power mags, S&W 59-series, Beretta/Taurus 92 and a slew of other magazines of similar exterior dimensions, but it's no good for a 1911 or a Glock mag or your Colt Mustang, etc etc.

But the UpLula works for dang near everything, and that's why folks love it so much.

I like the UpLula much, much less because the design of the UpLula requires a hard surface to use well. Table top works best, you can "make do" with your thigh but it's less than ideal. The HKS doesn't need any flat or hard surface, it works wonderfully in your right hand with your thumb doing the work but with fantastic leverage.

So your easy answer is the UpLula, as any/every gun forum will quickly tell you at a 98% rate.

I believe the better answer is the HKS loader, of which I own probably 20. Definitely costs more this way... however a single one (which it sounds like you need!) runs about $12 last I checked.
Old November 2, 2021, 08:09 AM   #17
Lavan

Does the HKS touch only the case and not the bullet?
Besides universality between 9mm and 45, I was happy the Maglula did not push on the bullet. It pushes on the follower only.
I load lead wadcutters in my 45.
Old November 2, 2021, 11:53 AM   #18
Sevens

Yes, only the side of the cartridge case for the HKS.