The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 22, 2020, 01:17 PM   #1
rep1954

Braced TAC-14 Question

If you have a braced TAC-14 can you leave the pistol grip and extension tube on the gun and remove the arm brace as long as the OAL of the complete gun is 26”+ and still remain non NFA.
Old November 22, 2020, 04:35 PM   #2
HiBC

I assume a TAC-14 is an AR pistol that meets all the requirements of an AR pistol.
I'm not a lawyer,don't consider this legal advice.

Who knows where the goal posts will be moved in the future.

As I understand it,at this point an AR pistol is legit . The issue may be the brace
functioning as a shoulder stock.

Removing the brace removes that issue it would seem to me. But I'm not your friendly local BATF Agent.
Old November 22, 2020, 04:50 PM   #3
rep1954

No the TAC-14 is not a AR15 pistol it is listed as a “firearm”. It has a 14” smooth bore barrel and the weapon is 26”+ in length. It comes with a long non vertical grip or with a AR15 style vertical grip matched with a pistol brace.
Old November 22, 2020, 05:22 PM   #4
HiBC

OK,I can't help you.
Old November 23, 2020, 02:07 AM   #5
raimius

(not a lawyer or BATFE agent)
From what I understand the length measurements are based on functional parts of the firearm. That is why the grip is rather long in some shotgun-like "non-NFA firearms." I would look at how long it is with all the required/non-folding parts. Using a non-functional extension as part of the OAL is a really gray area, and the ATF is prone to reversing their standards in very arbitrary ways.
Old November 26, 2020, 11:58 AM   #6
rep1954

So my reason for asking is my TAC-14 has become a shorter barreled version with a SB brace. So I guess if the brace ruling changes again I will have to get a new barrel, or SBS it, or build a new raptor grip bringing it to 26” correct.
Old November 26, 2020, 08:25 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
rep1954 So my reason for asking is my TAC-14 has become a shorter barreled version with a SB brace.
Is your OAL less than 26" with the brace at its shortest position? If so you better swap back to the birdshead pronto.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 26, 2020, 09:44 PM   #8
rep1954

Quote:
Is your OAL less than 26" with the brace at its shortest position? If so you better swap back to the birdshead pronto.
My overall length is 30” but if the ATF with their latest the games takes away my brace and I put the raptor style grip on it the overall would be 25 1/2” long.
Old November 26, 2020, 10:02 PM   #9
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
My overall length is 30” but if the ATF with their latest the games takes away my brace and I put the raptor style grip on it the overall would be 25 1/2” long.

You took 1/2” off the barrel?

From how I read it, remove the brace from the tube... then measure. The brace is the accessory, not the tube that it attaches to. I specifically say to yank it than collapse it, because if the brace gives you 1/2” more than the tube, ATF is likely going to go with the shorter measurement. If you have to yank the tube, shouldn’t you also yank the Raptor grip with that thought process?

If it is a folder, fold it up and measure (different from long guns, which are measured unfolded). That is where Black Aces and anyone that did a folding brace setup (myself included) got screwed over when ATF put out that letter.

I’d review that June or July 2019 ATF letter, being it did discuss the topic to the best that ATF has gone over in public.
Old November 27, 2020, 08:32 PM   #10
rep1954

My barrel measures 12.5” from the muzzle to the face of the bolt with the bolt forward which is how you measure barrel length. It’s odd that Remington uses the same spec’s for both the 12 and 20 ga. as they are two different frames and the 20 ga. Has a spacer so the Raptor grip will fit it as they don’t make a grip to fit it. My guns original overall length parallel to the bore of the barrel was 26 7/8”. Now if the barrel was originally 14.125” then I removed 1.5”.
Old December 6, 2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Commander47

The Mossberg Shockwave and the TAC 14 are not, technically, shotguns.

If you purchased your weapon new you got a letter stating the legality of the 14 inch barreled weapon. And it is totally legal as purchased.

IF you remove the birdseye grip from the gun, you have just committed a felony. If you replace the birdseye grip with a pistol grip you have committed a felony.

You absolutely CANNOT change the grip on this weapon and remain legal.

It's in the letter.
Old December 6, 2020, 03:42 PM   #12
rep1954

It seems odd that the ATF would allow Remington to sell a braced model of the Tac-14?

2B699D63-0D28-4B09-B62C-586B81E0A86D.jpeg
Old December 6, 2020, 05:09 PM   #13
dogtown tom

Quote:
Commander47

IF you remove the birdseye grip from the gun, you have just committed a felony.....
Absolute horsehockey.
If that were true one could never swap from a plastic birdhead to a wooden one or replace a broken grip.

Quote:
Sure you can. You just cannot change to a grip that makes the firearm OAL less than 26" WHEN ASSEMBLED.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 6, 2020, 05:12 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander47 View Post
The Mossberg Shockwave and the TAC 14 are not, technically, shotguns.

If you purchased your weapon new you got a letter stating the legality of the 14 inch barreled weapon. And it is totally legal as purchased.

IF you remove the birdseye grip from the gun, you have just committed a felony. If you replace the birdseye grip with a pistol grip you have committed a felony.

It's in the letter.
Much of this is wrong. Removing the grip is not illegal.
If you replace the grip with one that makes the OAL under 26", you have committed a felony. You can change the grip however you want, as long as the OAL is 26"+.
Old January 13, 2021, 03:07 PM   #15
DMK

I put mine (Mossberg Shockwave) on a form 1 to make it an SBS then put an actual shotgun stock on it.

I was just not comfortable with the legality of that buffer tube being removable. Unscrew the buffer tube without removing the barrel first and you've got an illegal shotgun. One can imagine an agent or LEO doing such a thing if they wished to screw you over. The $200 stamp gave me peace of mind.

That said, it's a really nice SBS. Shoots a nice tight pattern at 25y with Federal Flitecontrol.
Old February 1, 2021, 08:38 PM   #16
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander47 View Post

It's in the letter.
Ummm, no.
Old February 2, 2021, 06:13 PM   #17
Willie Lowman

Just form 1 it into a Short Barrel Shotgun and be done with it.

Adding a stock will make it a much better gun.