The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 12, 2018, 06:52 AM   #26
stagpanther

My 308 carbine shoots exceedingly well with a reddot for close range shooting--but then that "split-personality" thing kicks in and you want to see how much of a SASS it could be.
Old December 12, 2018, 08:26 AM   #27
agtman

Quote:
Thanks all.. use is light weight, *all purpose* 308 (if such a thing exists).
You want something low-powered, with quality glass, and for better light-gathering preferably a 30mm optic. Look at the various makes of 30mm 1x-6xs.

Quote:
I'm really just wondering if a 4-16x40 or 42mm is worth messing with on a 16" 308? If not I'll continue to focus on optics up to 600 yard max.
4x-16x is overkill and, frankly, impractical on an 'all-purpose'/all-around 16" .308. You're basically soliciting opinions on choice of magnified optic for a general utility, compact, short-range weapon.

Save the pricey, high-magnification optics for long-barreled bolt guns where most of your shooting will exceed 400- or 500-yds.
Old December 12, 2018, 09:08 AM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
Look at the various makes of 30mm 1x-6xs.
Like Primary Arms' illuminated ACSS scope. Although I generally avoid made-in-China optics if at all possible--this has proven to be a superb and easily affordable optic.
Old December 12, 2018, 03:35 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Quote:
Isn't anyone concerned about weight and bulk?....a handling consideration? Probably depends on intended use which the OP didn't say.
Most rifles these days spend their time hunkered down over a bench, no matter the barrel length. So I don't worry about weight and bulk. Or cost.

Now if he is shooting 3 gun or hunting, the answer will be different.
Old December 12, 2018, 03:46 PM   #30
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
You want something low-powered, with quality glass, and for better light-gathering preferably a 30mm optic. Look at the various makes of 30mm 1x-6xs.

4x-16x is overkill and, frankly, impractical on an 'all-purpose'/all-around 16" .308. You're basically soliciting opinions on choice of magnified optic for a general utility, compact, short-range weapon.

Save the pricey, high-magnification optics for long-barreled bolt guns where most of your shooting will exceed 400- or 500-yds.
IMO, overkill is a good word to describe what Colonel Cooper used to refer to as a "Moon Scope" mounted on a general purpose long arm, but I'm not sure of the OP's purpose. ... Is a 16" RR carbine accurate and stable enough to take advantage of a variable in the 4-16 range?...Truthfully, I don't know the answer, but I suspect not. I am fairly certain that a "large" telescope will ruin the balance of the little rifle and defeat it's intended purpose. A 2-7 or even smaller would probably get everything out of what the little rifle is capable of and not ruin it's balance and relatively light weight. If it's just a bench target or varmint rifle not intended to be carried or treated rough then as large a scope as wanted would suffice.

A 4-12 or 4-16, etc. might be a good choice on a target barreled bolt gun intended for long range work but not for a semi-auto carbine...BUT, in the end, whatever makes you happy and gets you out to the shooting range or hunting fields...it's your money and your hobby.
Old December 12, 2018, 03:59 PM   #31
Dashunde

Alright everyone... I ordered a Vortex 1-6x24 on sale from Amazon at $239 (+$89 mount)

I do prefer the Primary Arms ACSS reticle ($289), but considering the $50 price advantage of the vortex and the (reputed) probability that the Primary and Vortex come out of the same factory... it seems a no-brainer to go with the Vortex.
They both carry 80+% 5-stars on Amazon across 140+ reviews for the Primary and 278 for the Vortex.. those are pretty good odds for buying online.
Old December 12, 2018, 04:59 PM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
probability that the Primary and Vortex come out of the same factory
I think probably 90% of the world's optics come out of that one factory--as well as egg rolls. I have an iPhone and I keep wondering if one day it's discovered that a hidden nano chip has been beaming all my info back to China.
Old December 13, 2018, 08:45 AM   #33
agtman

Quote:
Alright everyone... I ordered a Vortex 1-6x24 on sale from Amazon at $239 (+$89 mount). I do prefer the Primary Arms ACSS reticle ($289), but considering the $50 price advantage of the vortex and the (reputed) probability that the Primary and Vortex come out of the same factory... it seems a no-brainer to go with the Vortex.
Honestly I'm not a fan of Chi-Com optics or mounts, but for a field and range 'beater' scope I'm sure the Vortex will suffice - if it gets you off the bench (once you've zero-ed it and the irons) and into shooting from field positions. 1x-6x is plenty of variable magnification for a general purpose/general utility 16" .308.

I would, however, consider upgrading the mount to either one of the LaRue models or the less pricey-but-still quality ADMs.

Quote:
probability that the Primary and Vortex come out of the same factory
Quote:
I think probably 90% of the world's optics come out of that one factory--as well as egg rolls. I have an iPhone and I keep wondering if one day it's discovered that a hidden nano chip has been beaming all my info back to China.
Yep.
Old December 13, 2018, 10:49 AM   #34
Jim Watson

Reminds me of a visit to SHOT several years ago.
There was a large display of optics, scopes, binoculars, telescopes, rangefinders, you name it, they had it. The display was attended by a couple of oriental gentlemen. I got the impression that they would wholesale you whatever you wanted with whatever trademark. Maybe a couple of those trademarks are Primary and Vortex.
Old December 13, 2018, 11:30 AM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
Maybe a couple of those trademarks are Primary and Vortex.
And just about everyone else. LOL
Old December 17, 2018, 05:35 PM   #36
Dashunde

Hey all, while I've got you here...

Please take a quick look at the forestock on my RR Predator
Will a Magpul (or similar) sling mount lock into any one of those holes?
(it doesn't claim to be any specific type like MLock, etc..so what'll fit without additional hardware?)

I'm also hunting for a inexpensive-yet-quality bipod.. recommendations?
Old December 19, 2018, 07:37 PM   #37
stolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I don't know how much difference 2 more inches of barrel makes, but my 18" Ruger Predator is about 50-60 fps slower than my 22" rifles.

I can do anything I need to do with a 308 with 6X to 9X on the upper end. I don't see the need for 12X unless you are shooting very small varmints at long range with an extremely accurate rifle. I'd think a 1-6X scope would do fine well past 400 yards, and a 16" barrel will get you well past 400 yards.
My 18 inch Ruger predator loses 200 fps from the 22 inch barrels. It only show 2620 fps, that is not 50 to 60 fps.

steve