The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 6, 2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Dashunde

Scope for AR-10/308, and other stuff

Hi all,

I finally got around to buying a Rock River mid-length Predator (16" version with adjustable/car stock and muzzle brake)
I need some product recommendations for finishing it out.

First I need a decent scope & rings.. best bang for the buck kind of thing for 100-400 yards.
Then I need a off-set/45 degree mount and open red-dot for under 100 yards.
Lastly, a bipod for the bench. (see link above to gun, not exactly sure what type of rail attachment to buy)
Ideally, I'd like the 3 mounts and two scopes to all fit well together and look right.

Or.. I'm open to completely different optic options/suggestions.

Budget is flexible, but I'd like to be around ~$300 on the scope alone.
I'm a rifle newb overall, I have a few, but never really studied the intricate details and this new one isn't the typical "quad rail" forestock that makes all selections easy no matter where its attached.
Old December 6, 2018, 12:52 PM   #2
2ndtimer

For a budget scope, try this:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...1.uts?slotId=8
And for a mount, this should work:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...7.uts?slotId=2
Old December 7, 2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Mobuck

"Or.. I'm open to completely different optic options/suggestions."

In which case, I'd recommend you ditch the 45* offset red-dot. A low power variable scope (1-4 or 2-6) will do everything from contact range to 400 yards w/o the hassle (and expense) of hanging a dot off the side of your AR. The other consideration is that while you're accessing that 45* sight, you allow the top mounted scope to smack you in the mouth upon firing. A 16" .308 IS NOT a .223.
Old December 7, 2018, 04:51 PM   #4
brasscollector

I would second the vote to avoid a 45 degree anything on a 308. For 0-400yds a 6x scope or even a 2-7x will do everything you need. Find one with an illuminated reticle and you'll completely forget about the red dot.
Old December 8, 2018, 02:52 AM   #5
Metal god

You sure want to hang a bunch a stuff on that rifle . Sure hope your not planning on carrying it around much . I'm 100% in Mobucks corner on this , 1x6 or 1x8x24 and you're gtg from point blank to 400yds with the throw of a lever .

I have the Primary arms 1x6x24 gen 3 or which ever is the latest model and like it a lot . The chevron took some getting used to but that was just a range trip and a half . The BDC reticle is nice as well . Vortex makes the Strike eagle in those same magnifications as well . Those two would be my recommendation as the least amount you spend on that type of scope ( 3 to $400 ) .

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x2...-reticle-black

https://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...RoCWQgQAvD_BwE

And just shoot off a bag when at the bench . Bi-pods like to hop on the bench and tend to open up your groups . Although with a 6x scope your not going to be shooting uber tight groups anyways past 100yds at least I don't , not like I can with a 18x+ zoom

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 8, 2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old December 8, 2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Dashunde

Agreed.. this thing is going to get heavy and convoluted pretty fast.

So I'm thinking about going with a Eotech Holographic Hybrid...?

All misc gizmos added up land in the same price realm as a simple single package flip-over holo sight...

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't put that Eotech on a AR10?
(also.. help me select the right holo hybrid option if your in-the-know)

Although, It might be nice to fit some irons in this someway?
Old December 8, 2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Dashunde

Guys, I'm not a true rifle Nut.. Life's responsibilities - time and financial - dictate that I quickly land upon a good rifle, good optic, and good ammo without undue amounts of nitpicking, endless study, and especially trial-and-error experimenting $$$.

I basically want a 308 that can handle up-close shots as well as long distance work out to ~600 yards.
I think I picked an OK rifle, need a good optic, followed up by consistent ammo.. my intention is to buy 1000-2000 rounds of the same stuff and just stick with it (suggestions?)
Old December 8, 2018, 05:19 PM   #8
Metal god

Quote:
Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't put that Eotech on a AR10?
I can't say why you shouldn't get it because there is no reason , It's a fine product . I can say why "I" wouldn't - Price , weight , PA reticle is better , less magnification , maybe magnified glass clarity at distance . If I had $1200 to spend on optics I'd likely buy a scope and a red dot with QD mounts to switch back and forth when needed . Then that good ammo you're looking for with what's left over .

Quote:
without undue amounts of nitpicking, endless study,
That's up to you , we are here to give advice based on our own experiences . I personally have multiple rifles in the same calibers each configured for a specific purpose . If I were to have just one rifle and optic . It would be equipped with a red dot and back up iron sights or a 1x6x24 with back up iron sights .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 8, 2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old December 8, 2018, 07:40 PM   #9
zeke

Currently own 2 308 RR's, and both are capable of sub moa, if the bullets used are 165 grains or over. Have never gotten very good accuracy with the lighter 150 grainers, and have tried numerous times. This matters if you want to stretch it's legs a little, and actually be able to hit something. One has 16 inch barrel, the other one is 19 inches.

RR 308's are heavy, even with a shorter smaller dia fluted barrel. Adding alot of accessories gonna make it heavier yet.

Only you can decide what purpose you want to concentrate on, there are always trade offs. The rifle may be a little heavy to be used in run and gunning. The 16 inch owned has a 1x6 ffp mil/mil with 1/2 mil sub-tensions (or whatever you call them), Burris xtreme aluminum rings and a quick detach harris bipod that cants/swivels. It is prioritized for quicker/closer accurate enough shots off a bipod/rest, but can easily go to silhouette size at 600 yards. While it can be used up close and standing, it be heavy.

The 19 incher has a heavy barrel and single 12x scope.

Picked the RR because every one owned is extremely accurate with good rounds. Took to breakin over the sharp outer contact edges on the bolt carrier with small stone.

The only real way to determine what ya really want is to try something. And even then you may change your priority's.
Old December 9, 2018, 10:16 AM   #10
Dashunde

Your all right on several points and thanks for the info, I'm going to simplify this..
For trips to my usual range (200 yard max) I'm really taking to the 1-6x24 option w/ backup irons.

My RR is short (16"), but its still a 308 with a very good reputation for accuracy, and I have a place I can shoot 600+ yards (Farm).
With that in mind I'm also considering something like a Nikon M-308, or P-308?
Is there a quick detach mount that'll hold zero on a 4-16 if I were to swap between it and a 1-6?