The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2018, 10:31 PM   #1
That Guy From Texas

Mossberg 185 K-A bolt knob/lever ball

went to the closest gun shop after work this past friday just to browse since i hadn't in a while. i found this rifle for sale for $20. it was missing the bolt knob and had athletic tape over the threads and the finish on the barrel is not very good. they had at least two others in there for $90-$150, but they were in better condition. i found out it was made between 1950-55.

it's a 20 gauge and everything looked good. i gave it an hour or so to think on it and came back to buy it. haven't tried it out yet, but it cycles ammunition just fine.

my only problem now is that i can't find a replacement handle for it. it's ~1/4" on the diameter but none of the typical metric or imperial stuff fit it, much less typical bolt handles online given they are for 5/16" diameter. an M7 fits loosely.

does anybody have any idea on a place i could get a replacement bolt knob without getting a whole bolt? numrich is out of stock for the ball. could a gunsmith make me one with proper threading? any idea on what threads they might've used on old mossbergs?
Attached Images
File Type: png mossberg_185.png (143.0 KB, 16 views)
Old October 2, 2018, 06:01 AM   #2
darkgael

Hmmmm. I thought that I might be able to help but, unfortunately, I cannot. I have a 185 K-A 20 gauge. I just checked mine. Interestingly, the bolt and knob appear to be a single machined unit. I also have an extra bolt assembly (from Numrich) that does have a screw on bolt knob. It was bought used and whoever had it had replaced the factory knob with a larger (3/4”) version and welded it on. Sorry.