The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2017, 09:38 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Recommendations for secure, small(ish) gun safe?

My pistol wish-list seems to keep growing. I'm sure I'll get a rifle (or seven) some day.

What's a good, secure safe that doesn't weigh 700 lb, but can still keep kids away from the contents? I would never store loaded guns in this. That has its own dedicated safe that doesn't share real estate with anything else.

The rest of the collection includes a .22 target pistol, a 9mm subcompact, soon-to-be full size Sig P320, and hopefully some manner of full size revolver soon. I have two guns in a V-Line "Brute" double-high safe. I think it could hold one more, but that's about it.

I see lots of big safes at Cabela's and similar stores, and they look like they'd withstand nuclear blasts, and weigh 700 lb and hold a dozen shotguns. That's probably overkill. But below that I see Stack-On gun "cabinets" that don't look terribly sturdy...

Thoughts? Recommendations? I know I've been entirely vague

I think something that holds up to 6 pistols and maybe 4 long guns would eventually be plenty for me.
Old July 28, 2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Eazyeach

I started out with a stack on 14 gun cabinet. It'll do well keeping youngsters out, but a bumbling thief could open it with a sturdy screwdriver. I ended up with a stack on 25 gun safe(500ish lbs). And it keeps getting smaller.

Go to menards they have some smaller safes that might work out for you and are reasonably priced.
Old July 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #3
OhioGuy

Thanks for the lead! Something like this 10 gun safe would seem enough...

https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...149287&ipos=11

Provided it's at all reconfigurable? I could see the day when I'd have 2 rifles, maybe 3 (or a shotgun). I won't have 10 long guns. Is this type of safe at all reconfigurable?

I see they sell separate pistol racks: https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...4444049239.htm

Do you know if these are compatible with their small safes? And if so, if using them will then get completely in the way of storing long guns? (The height on these doesn't appear to leave much room for error.

Looking now, I'd definitely feel better having an actual locking safe with steel bolts. The cabinets look about as secure as my Craftsman toolbox.
Old July 28, 2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Eazyeach

That safe doesn't look like it has very much room for a growing handgun collection. maybe you could put some kind of shelf on one side. I had those handgun racks and didn't like them. Check out hyskore pistol racks, I like them much better. I got them at Cabela's but you can order them online too.

As many on this forum would tell you, " buy a bigger safe than you think you need"
Old July 28, 2017, 04:33 PM   #5
adamBomb

I got the 8 gun version of this safe for around $200. You aren't breaking in unless you are breaking the safe with a drill or something. Its thick, sturdy, and secured to my wall. Remember that all safes can be broken into by individuals that know what they are doing. I figured if I wasn't spending the money on a safe that takes at least 30 minutes to break into ($2000-10k+ from my research) there was no point in getting a $1000-$2000 safe that takes 5 minutes (99% of the safes under $2000 take less than 5 minutes to break into by a pro). So I got this and it will definitely keep out kids and burglars unless they are drilling through the sucker, want to bust it open, and have the time. Basically at a minimum look for RSC/Cali standard for a safe...and if you can spend more get the 15-30 minute safes. Otherwise they are all 5 mins or less.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...8gnsfxxxxxxgua

For smaller safes I like the http://www.fas1safe.com/ safes. The owner is a member here and I use his safe for my 'by the bed' gun.

Here is a good article on safes, their ratings, etc.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/article...-protection/2/

Last edited by adamBomb; July 28, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old July 28, 2017, 05:42 PM   #6
FITASC

Most of the best safes can easily be breached with either a drill, sledge hammer in the right place or similar tools found in the average garage. Better safes are much harder due to thicker steel, better welds, etc. A lot of these are now made in China, even from the better name brands (until you get to the top tier lines)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

I would suggest that whatever safe you get, try to buy one that will only open using you finger or hand print. That way, it makes you a few layers more safe(pardon the pun) and takes away one of your kids seeing you opening it after many openings and memorizing the combo. Even Costco sells these . Besides, in an emergency, it opens first time with no delay. This I am an expert in as I was a high end Custom Jeweler and sometimes couldn't open my safe the first try. I'm sure you understand this.

Doc
Old July 29, 2017, 03:20 PM   #8

If you are financially challenged and don't want to spend any more than you have to, check out some "job site" storage boxes.

I bought one from Home Depot some years ago. I think it's about 48" long and 24" deep and wide. I bought it to keep my ammo in.

Mine is all steel and has recessed padlock cavities. It is dustproof and is very well built. You can store a lot of handguns and accessories in it. And a couple of short rifles as well. When locked, it is totally kid proof.

If at a later time, you move on to a real safe, keep the storage box for ammo and accessories.

When I bought mine is was about $170.00 or so. They have gone up in price since then.
Old July 29, 2017, 07:32 PM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
I bought one from Home Depot some years ago. I think it's about 48" long and 24" deep and wide. I bought it to keep my ammo in.
And if that is mostly full of ammo and there is a fire, you'll have one heckuva bomb - make sure to let the fire department know so they can back off and let your house burn......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 30, 2017, 02:20 PM   #10
Doc Holliday 1950

Yes to Above. make sure it's fire resistant up to min. of 30 minutes. That would be the UL rating.

Doc
Old August 2, 2017, 07:20 AM   #11
billcarey

Something to be aware of on "fire resistant". A collector relative of mine had a large high end safe in his home that was "fire resistant". Unfortunately hurricane Andrew blew through and everything in the safe got wet from rain water coming in through a broken window. 80 guns got wet and all the personal paperwork ruined from the water. Same thing would have happened if the fire dept came to put a fire out.
Old August 3, 2017, 08:45 AM   #12
adamBomb

Quote:
Something to be aware of on "fire resistant". A collector relative of mine had a large high end safe in his home that was "fire resistant". Unfortunately hurricane Andrew blew through and everything in the safe got wet from rain water coming in through a broken window. 80 guns got wet and all the personal paperwork ruined from the water. Same thing would have happened if the fire dept came to put a fire out.
Yea fireproof isn't something I care about with my gun safes. Waterproof on the other hand 'would' be awesome if it didn't retain moisture and cause rust. However it all depends what someone's goals are. For me, its to keep kids out.