The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 12:45 AM   #1
Venti30

P365 day 1

Picked up my p365 today and I have to say I hadn’t ever even held one before today but it exceeded my expectations in terms of performance.

Less snappy than I’d have thought given its size, and I found that I could shoot it rather well and comfortably. I’ve got a warm up routine that includes running 5x5 drills, which I did right out of the box with this new gun. My best time through the course with my typical range gun (from low ready not holster due to range restriction) is 10.6 seconds. I achieved and average of mid 12 seconds with the p365 across 4 5x5 courses.

My only initial feedback for sig is that for my hand/thumb size, I had difficulty with the mag release being “around the grip towards the front” but I’ll work that out.

I had zero issues, and did not change how I approached the grip. If I was going to interfere with the slide lock with my natural grip, I wanted to know it.

Have any right handed shooters of the 365 in here converted it to right side mag release?

This was a good addition to my fleet and I recommend the gun for the every day carrier. This is my new edc.
Old May 13, 2018, 08:22 AM   #2
LBussy

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new gun. I've got my eye on the 365. I am famously slow to pull the trigger as it were.
Old May 13, 2018, 01:24 PM   #3
gnystrom

Had one for a couple of months and now carry it daily. Sadly, a lot of other carry guns now sit idle in the back of the safe.
Old May 13, 2018, 06:37 PM   #4
ice monkey

With respect to right handed shooters converting the mag release to the right side... I intentionally have pistols with paddle mag releases because the button never worked as well for me as the paddles do. They are in my opinion superior to the button. BUT, now that no one is making pistols with paddle mag releases anymore, I’m either stuck with the guns I have, or I need to retrain.

Because I’ll have to retrain, I’m definitely going to try right. I hit the paddles wth my right and prefer it.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Siggy-06

Gonna hold out a while longer before I buy a p365. Been reading about too many issues. While the recall fixed the first batches, and the new ones shipping with xray sights are supposedly good to go, I've read reports of firing pin breakages now. I like Sigs, I like the p365 dimensions and capacity a lot too, just want all the bugs worked out first.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Venti30

My wife has had a preference for H&K pistils which hav3 5he paddle on th3 lower portion of trigger guard. When I shoot her pistols, I prefer to engage mag release on rightside with trigger finger. You may be interested in looking at them. Fine pistols in my opinion.
Old May 13, 2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Venti30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
Gonna hold out a while longer before I buy a p365. Been reading about too many issues. While the recall fixed the first batches, and the new ones shipping with xray sights are supposedly good to go, I've read reports of firing pin breakages now. I like Sigs, I like the p365 dimensions and capacity a lot too, just want all the bugs worked out first.
Among the other makes I own, I’ve got a 226 legion, mpx,938 an$ the 365 from sig.

I’m confident in their initial quality and after sale support.
Old May 14, 2018, 05:47 AM   #8
OhioGuy

I ran 50 rounds at the range through a rental P365. I also found the mag release awkward to reach quickly.

I kept expecting it to run dry after 6 rounds

It was a truly impressive little package. The night sights were really nice.

I suppose with lots of practice I'd become much better at controlling a gun that size. The extended magazine definitely helped with that.

I saw there are Laser Grips available for it now -- I'm a little ambivalent toward lasers but they can help.

Overall I was truly impressed. That same day I shot a Walther PPQ subcompact -- also a very good gun in its own right -- and while I could control it better due to its larger size, it felt like I was holding a brick next to the Sig and I had the same round count!!!
Old May 14, 2018, 05:54 AM   #9
OhioGuy

Now...let's see Sig release a model that comes with a slimmed down Romeo optic. That would be pretty awesome
Old June 4, 2018, 02:58 PM   #10
Hitthespot

I just took my P365 to the range for the first time today. Bought it new Saturday. I had Zero issues. Ran a mixture of FMJ and JHP with no issues at all. Very pleased.

Now having said the above I didn't shoot it very well. I'm left handed and all but two rounds of the 250 I shot were to the right of the bullseye. I'm a flincher ( having an extremely hard time correcting it) so that may be part of the problem. Slight sights adjustment might be necessary also. Can't wait to go to the range again.

I would whole heartedly recommend this pistol. Great trigger pull, comfortable, very manageable recoil. Whats not to like.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:56 AM   #11
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venti30 View Post
Picked up my p365 today and I have to say I hadn’t ever even held one before today but it exceeded my expectations in terms of performance.

Less snappy than I’d have thought given its size, and I found that I could shoot it rather well and comfortably. I’ve got a warm up routine that includes running 5x5 drills, which I did right out of the box with this new gun. My best time through the course with my typical range gun (from low ready not holster due to range restriction) is 10.6 seconds. I achieved and average of mid 12 seconds with the p365 across 4 5x5 courses.

My only initial feedback for sig is that for my hand/thumb size, I had difficulty with the mag release being “around the grip towards the front” but I’ll work that out.

I had zero issues, and did not change how I approached the grip. If I was going to interfere with the slide lock with my natural grip, I wanted to know it.

Have any right handed shooters of the 365 in here converted it to right side mag release?

This was a good addition to my fleet and I recommend the gun for the every day carrier. This is my new edc.
Excellent master level time from a brand new subcompact gun your first time out! Even from the low ready which would add 6-8 seconds depending on your draw. Impressive. LOL

Most people can't shoot that with a service sized pistol in less than 25 second. Master class shooters can do it consistently in 20 seconds. In fact one of the fast 5X5s on video is 11.51 with a Wilson 92FS. What distance were you shooting at? Did you count points down for misses? Sorry but I am skeptical that you are shooting a real 5x5 in 12 seconds with subcompact gun you just took right out of the box.

This is what a 11.51 5x5 drill looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9AT0lWI-pg

Quote:
5×5 Skill Test
designed by Bill Wilson

Range: 10yd
Target: standard IDPA target
Start position: Hands at your sides facing target. No concealment garment necessary.
Rounds fired: 25

Another quick and easy to set up/score shooting test by Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat. It is intended for a service pistol of 9mm caliber or larger, concealed carry suitable holster and ammunition with a power factor (bullet weight x velocity) of 125,000 or more. Scoring is standard Vickers with a half second penalty per point down.

There are four strings of fire, each for time:

Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle.
Draw and fire 5 shots SHO (strong hand only).
Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle, reload from slidelock and fire 5 more shots freestyle.
Draw and fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head freestyle.
Bill Wilson’s suggested scoring:

Grand Master: 15 seconds or less
Master: 20 seconds or less
Expert: 25 seconds or less
Sharpshooter: 32 seconds or less
Marksman: 41 seconds or less
Novice: 50 seconds or less
Not proficient enough to carry a handgun: Over 50 seconds

Last edited by WVsig; June 6, 2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:02 AM   #12
OhioGuy

All this makes me wish I could get to a range in easy driving distance, where I actually could draw and run these kinds of drills! Doing it in my basement to the endless "click" of a hammer gets kinda boring
Old June 6, 2018, 10:44 AM   #13
Venti30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venti30 View Post

Excellent master level time from a brand new subcompact gun your first time out! Even from the low ready which would add 6-8 seconds depending on your draw. Impressive. LOL

Most people can't shoot that with a service sized pistol in less than 25 second. Master class shooters can do it consistently in 20 seconds. In fact one of the fast 5X5s on video is 11.51 with a Wilson 92FS. What distance were you shooting at? Did you count points down for misses? Sorry but I am skeptical that you are shooting a real 5x5 in 12 seconds with subcompact gun you just took right out of the box.

This is what a 11.51 5x5 drill looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9AT0lWI-pg

Quote:
5×5 Skill Test
designed by Bill Wilson

Range: 10yd
Target: standard IDPA target
Start position: Hands at your sides facing target. No concealment garment necessary.
Rounds fired: 25

Another quick and easy to set up/score shooting test by Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat. It is intended for a service pistol of 9mm caliber or larger, concealed carry suitable holster and ammunition with a power factor (bullet weight x velocity) of 125,000 or more. Scoring is standard Vickers with a half second penalty per point down.

There are four strings of fire, each for time:

Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle.
Draw and fire 5 shots SHO (strong hand only).
Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle, reload from slidelock and fire 5 more shots freestyle.
Draw and fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head freestyle.
Bill Wilson’s suggested scoring:

Grand Master: 15 seconds or less
Master: 20 seconds or less
Expert: 25 seconds or less
Sharpshooter: 32 seconds or less
Marksman: 41 seconds or less
Novice: 50 seconds or less
Not proficient enough to carry a handgun: Over 50 seconds
Well, all I can say is you must be having an awful day and needed to let out a little of the troll inside you on someone, or you may have something else going on.

The purpose of my post was to share my experience with the new gun. I didn't comment on my prior experience, training or proficiency, simply posted what I found. Yes the 5x5 was scored with misses, and at 10 yards. Again and as I clearly stated, I could not run it from the draw due to the range restriction. Reading my post, or having someone read it to you would cause you to see that I mentioned that fact.

Just scratching my head a little as to why you'd go out of your way in the manner you did. My experience with firearms is substantial and my interest in sharing was not to receive your validation, but to simply share the experience on the shootability of the new gun. I didn't claim any level of achievement (Title) in my message, least of which would be assigned by you, a_random_internet_codger.

Despite you being a jackleg in your post, I still wish you well and hope you have a good day despite your apparent interested in crapping on other people.
Old June 6, 2018, 12:10 PM   #14
WVsig

Not trolling just questioning the statements you are making. I guess I underestimated your grand master skills. Clearly you are a world class pistol shooter and I and everyone else should hang on your every word. LOL Sorry but when you read a post where someone boast world class shooting abilities I take notice and if it does not seem to match up I question it and everything else they post. Even from the low ready 12 seconds with a subcompact you just bought seems a stretch. Sorry you took reasonable skepticism as a personal afront. You seem sensitive maybe "the lady doth protest too much."

Did you work out the light strikes you were having with the P365? Was it the press or is it the P365 which functions 100%.

Quote:
I've been struggling with light strikes in only one of my guns, My P365. roughly 5-7% click no bang rate.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595972

If I had to guess its the guns firing pin. I also assume you for got to update this post. Some of us who "can" read also read other parts of the forum. LOL

https://youtu.be/BYCCQjx0M8M

Enjoy the Sig I hope it continues to serve you well.

Last edited by WVsig; June 6, 2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:06 PM   #15
Venti30

WVSig,

I really do wish you well, and am letting this go, because frankly your opinion just isn’t important.

Couple parting thoughts though,

If you read what I posted, that I couldn’t draw where I was, and add the average of 1.5 seconds of draw time for each stage, I’d be no master of any kind, nor did I make that claim. That was mentioned in my OP in an effort to be clear, apparently I was not.

Several people posted replies that were thoughtful, between my post and yours, and you seem to be the only one drawing the conclusion you have.

Lastly, your posts are to me, the true definition of trolling. Bolstered by the fact that you perved out and searched for other posts by me. Internet stalker tactic there, sir.

Since you’re concerned by my other post about light primer strikes, i’ll Inform you that I’ve deduced two things. 1. My primer punch bracket and punch had 15k rounds of wear and 2. I wasn’t full stroking my primer action about 3-5% of the time, which is most likely the cause. Rest assured though, Dillon sent me some parts, and when I have time i’ll Install them and check back with you to make sure you’re 100% satisfied with your internet experience. The gun is fine, luckily for me and your extreme interest in me, I’ve had zero malfunctions that weren’t relating to the primer issue.

Seriously, go have a good day and find something positive in your life to celebrate, or something.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:20 PM   #16
WVsig

Sorry even if you add 1.5x5=7.5 to 12 I still call BS with a subcompact at 10 yards. That would be under Master scoring with full sized auto. Also 15,000 on a Dillon 650 is nothing. Also you forgot to mention the defective rounds off the Dillon ran in all your other guns but the 365. I guess the 365 is still perfect. Let’s us know when the firing pin/striker breaks and you have to send it back to Sig. maybe that will be Dillons fault too. Oh well enjoy being a paying beta tester.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:27 PM   #17
Venti30

Just hang whichever trophy you’re going to assign to me in your bedroom, i’ll Gladly accept whatever shooting skill category you care to assign me in the WVSig file.

I think you may have been hoping that the sig would be causal....I find that to be odd but it’s on par with my experience with you.

At the time, I was using A to B testing, swap out the gun with the click rounds. Later, I started putting them back through the 365 and generally they all fired in it as well, save what I suspect were primers dinged up by the first fail. So, apparently and as others were nice enough to post about, the first click seated the primer outer shell closer to the anvil, and any subsequent attempt to fire was going to make it go. At least that’s what I’ve summarized in the end. You’ll likely disagree, and that’s fine too.

Take care now!
Old June 6, 2018, 09:34 PM   #18
WVsig

Man I love the digs you put into your posts. Seems sort of sophomoric or at least immature. I love when people post reviews with imbleshed statements and then omit issue with reliability and then wonder why people question their statements. That it not called trolling it’s called being critical and asking for consistency. I guess that’s not your thing. You are certainly living up to your signature. Your P365 has had light strike issues on rounds that other guns fired without issue. In other threads you questioned the soundness of the Sig p265s striker yet i your thread about the P365 you failed to mention it. When called out on it and your 5x5 times you have done nothing but deflect. I may be abrasive at times but I at least I don’t post BS.

Last edited by WVsig; June 6, 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old June 6, 2018, 11:13 PM   #19
Mal H
Staff

We're done.
Closed Thread