The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 25, 2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Chaparral

Remington 7615 P

Recently acquired a Remington 7615 P. Neat little rifle. Saw a few videos on youtube about it but not much more. I'm just going to use it for a truck gun. I thought it would be a neat little addition. Just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand knowledge of it. I understand it is not produced anymore. Thanks.
Old November 25, 2018, 06:46 PM   #2
ThomasT

Excellent rifles. I wish I had never sold mine. And it pointed so well. Just like a Remington shotgun. Makes sense because its based on the 870 20ga gun.

The only thing I didn't like about mine was the sticky, grabby buttpad. I tried putting Armorall on it so it wouldn't grab so much but it didn't help. I should have just ordered a youth 20ga buttstock and kept the gun.

Sometimes brass cased ammo would stick in the bolt face really hard. But good american made brass never did. I never figured out why because the stell cased stuff measured the same as the brass case rim.

Mine didn't have a ghost rear sight but the standard rifle sights that I liked the very best. And it shot like a laser and I never lost a single piece of brass.
Old November 25, 2018, 07:48 PM   #3
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
Excellent rifles. I wish I had never sold mine. And it pointed so well. Just like a Remington shotgun. Makes sense because its based on the 870 20ga gun.

The only thing I didn't like about mine was the sticky, grabby buttpad. I tried putting Armorall on it so it wouldn't grab so much but it didn't help. I should have just ordered a youth 20ga buttstock and kept the gun.

Sometimes brass cased ammo would stick in the bolt face really hard. But good american made brass never did. I never figured out why because the stell cased stuff measured the same as the brass case rim.

Mine didn't have a ghost rear sight but the standard rifle sights that I liked the very best. And it shot like a laser and I never lost a single piece of brass.
Excellent! Someone did me the favor and removed the sticky butt pad and has replaced it with a slick metal one. No failure to ejects yet. And this one is identical to the one you had. It has the regular Remington sights. And yes, accurate for a little pump rifle! I have been really pleased. I've already had folks come up to me at the range wanting to buy it. Love that it takes AR mags. I had some 10 round mags laying around and now I have a good reason to keep them.
Old November 25, 2018, 08:39 PM   #4
ATCDoktor

I’ve had my 7615P for about 5 years and I do dearly appreciate it.

When I bought it, the stock it was wearing was one of collapsible pistol grip type that’s adjustable for length of pull not unlike the Knoxx Breacher stock (pistol grip stock is for sale btw).

10 rounds at 200 yards off a rest.

I’ve have since changed the stock out for the traditional OEM variant and had the barrel threaded for my Gemtech Titanium Trek suppressor.

As you can see, with the can attached to the rifle the balance point is right in front of the magazine (perfect spot for one handed carry in the field).

I shoot it quite often and I find it to be a very accurate and fast handling Carbine.
Old November 25, 2018, 08:56 PM   #5
Chaparral

Man I am so excited now that I purchased this little dandy! Those pics are great. Haven't really had time to develop a load yet, but it seems to shoot some 55gr FMJs I have reloaded just fine. That 200 yd target is very impressive in my opinion for this little carbine. Thanks!
Old November 26, 2018, 09:53 PM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

Have you broken it down for thorough cleaning yet?
Denis
Old November 27, 2018, 12:57 PM   #7
ATCDoktor

Quote:
Denis
I’m not the OP but I have broken mine down several times and it is something I’ll only do once a year for cleaning unless otherwise needed.

In fact I had mine apart all the way down to the receiver (barrel removed) this past weekend and took the opportunity to clean the bore from the chamber end (for its yearly “thorough” cleaning) and it is a PITA.

What bothers me the most about breaking it down is having to remove the stock every single time to get the trigger group out.

Taking the stock off is tedious and wears heavily on the recoil pad screw holes but the biggest PITA is getting the trigger group and magwell back in the reciever.

They have to be inserted in the receiver together and must be turned/jiggled just right to get them oriented in the receiver properly.

Not the quickest rifle to disassemble and get back together to be sure.

There’s an Australian dude that has posted a couple of YouTube videos on breaking the 7615p down and putting it back together that’ll cover the process in detail.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eL3BmwGx_4&t=627s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SANSnHQX_Es&t=575s
Old November 27, 2018, 01:43 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

That's one of the main reasons I had no interest in keeping a test sample I had here back when they first came out.

I don't think people realized they don't break down like an 870 & I think that's ONE of the reasons they weren't in production long.
Denis
Old November 30, 2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Denis
I have not, but I did watch the youtube video on breakdown.
Old December 1, 2018, 11:09 PM   #10
ifithitu

Very nice rifle ACTDoktor
Old December 5, 2018, 11:39 PM   #11
BIG P

Had one years ago.Traded it for a 7600 in 270 win.Still running it as a truck gun hard to beat those bad boys.