The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 8, 2021, 02:45 AM   #51
Ignition Override

Depending on price, I would consider an aluminum charging handle, for one very simple reason:

The typical plastic handles feel far weaker than the handles on my imported AKMs and the Czechpoint VZ-58.

I don’t like primary gun components which remind me of a plastic toy. Not trying to hurt any pride or feelings, but gun components should feel rugged.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 10, 2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old February 8, 2021, 07:49 AM   #52
GarandTd

Who makes a plastic one? I thought they were pretty much all aluminum.
Old February 8, 2021, 12:31 PM   #53
rickyrick

I’m confused about the plastic charging handle as well, but I only assume that the poster was thinking of a different weapon.
Old February 8, 2021, 01:14 PM   #54
ed308

Radian Weapons makes a ambi charging with polymer handles. The other parts are aluminum. I've got a couple of them. Never had a problem with them. They make charging handles that are all aluminum as well. That's my preference but more money.
Old February 8, 2021, 02:41 PM   #55
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
Radian Weapons makes a ambi charging with polymer handles. The other parts are aluminum. I've got a couple of them. Never had a problem with them. They make charging handles that are all aluminum as well. That's my preference but more money.

Radian’s LT handles don’t have completely polymer wings... aluminum skeleton, with polymer coating.
Old February 8, 2021, 02:52 PM   #56
rickyrick

Nuttin wrong with good polymer. There’s even polymer tools that I’ve used.
That said, I wasn’t aware of polymer charging handles on an AR.
Old February 8, 2021, 05:29 PM   #57
zoo

Bit of a difference between polymer and polymer coating.
Old February 9, 2021, 12:19 PM   #58
ed308

The term Radian uses to describe the polymer handles is over-molded polymer. Per Radian's website for the LT model....

This tough skeleton is then over-molded with high-strength, fiberglass reinforced polymer for the ultimate combination of strength, weight, and durability.
Old February 9, 2021, 07:12 PM   #59
Screwball

And?

They are aluminum, with polymer coating. Not sure why this is a big deal.

Here is a shot of one that I pulled off my latest build. You can see the seams where the polymer and the aluminum meet.

The center pieces, which interact with pivot points and extend down to the receiver lock, are aluminum. My truck gun has wear at the lock point to confirm that.
Old February 9, 2021, 09:23 PM   #60
KCRaider21

There is nothing wrong with the basic charging handles. It’s like a lot of other AR parts, what’s your preference and how much are you willing to spend on upgrades. Most parts are just personal preference.
Old February 10, 2021, 02:40 PM   #61
ed308

And? They are aluminum, with polymer coating. Not sure why this is a big deal.

Certainly not a big deal to me. I still prefer all metal over the polymer handles since the serrations on the polymer wear down quicker compared to the aluminum handles. But other than that negative, nothing more to complain about.
Old February 10, 2021, 06:25 PM   #62
Ignition Override

The charging handle on my 2014 (or so) S&W M&P AR felt weak and more flexible than expected.

It's certainly longer and much more narrow than the polymer frame of my Walther P99 handgun, but that AR's charging handle feel was a disappointment.

The plastic trigger on the P99 handgun does Look cheap, but being very short, at least it feels very rigid.

On my friend's seldom-used "Green Box" '85 Colt AR-15, the handle feels more rugged than on my M&P (traded this AR for the TGI Hungarian AMD-65), but I can't remember which type material Colt used.
Old February 11, 2021, 01:24 AM   #63
HWS

You already bought a charging handle with your AR, right? You use the charging handle twice per session, to charge the rifle initially and to clear the rifle when you are done, right? If so, why do you need to throw down money on a non-mil spec charging handle which may have unforeseen consequences?

Dr. Ferdinand Porsche was once asked why his race cars had such a low first gear (and they do). He answered, it makes no difference, you only use it once in a race. The same principal applies here.
Old February 11, 2021, 11:18 AM   #64
ed308

You already bought a charging handle with your AR, right? You use the charging handle twice per session, to charge the rifle initially and to clear the rifle when you are done, right? If so, why do you need to throw down money on a non-mil spec charging handle which may have unforeseen consequences?

Answer to question 1: No.
Answer to question 2: No.
Answer to question 3: Because we can.