The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 17, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
divil

bullseye competitions, kansas

I'm looking to get started in bullseye shooting. I've never shot competitively or even been in a club. Does anyone know of any clubs or organizations in the Lawrence/Kansas City area that do this? Every club I look up on the net seems to be all about IDPA and stuff like that. Can't find any info on bullseye.
Old November 22, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
M4BGRINGO

I hope you have a LOT of patience. I shot Bullseye once, that was enough for me. Too long and drawn-out, I like a quicker pace.

Now, it is a very interesting competition. It almost reminded me of my old slot car days. Guys have these special boxes with all their gear in it. Set it up next to them in their lane. In the top of the box they have a spotting scope. They take a shot, look through the scope, see where they hit, get ready for the next. At 25 yards a .22 is hard to see. Yes, the good guys use custom-built .22's. The grips are replaced by a piece of wood custom-carved to fit their hand perfectly!

Some of these shooters are awesome to say the least. Mid to high 800's all the time. Sometimes 880-890, 900 being perfect.

Saw one guy using .45 wadcutters. Easy to score his hits!

I was using .38 special from a 686. Iron sites, heavy gun, no spotting scope, scored bad, but it was an experience. Think I shot a whopping 410 or so....

Hey, give it a shot and see if it's something you like. Next to shotgun sports my next favorite is knock down steel. To each their own, have fun!
Old November 23, 2011, 09:59 AM   #3
divil

Thanks for the info...I already shoot that way anyway so I know it's what I'd like to do, at least for a while. I used to just plink away just to entertain myself, then I visited a club where I used to live in ND, and the guys there introduced me to precision, one handed shooting. I liked it and I think I might actually be good at it. But then I had to move to KS and it seems to be hard to find anywhere that runs bullseye competitions. (Actually it's hard to find anywhere to shoot at all around here)

Someone from another forum pointed me towards the Tri County Rod & Gun Club which apparently does bullseye leagues and is near me, so I'm going to give them a call and see what's what.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Doug Bowser

I have been shooting Bullseye sine 1968. I shoot as well with one hand as I do with two. I wish you lived closer to Mississippi, I would help you with the tricks of te trade. NRA Outdoor Pistol as it is officially called was very popular in the late 70's and 80's. Then the national guard started shooting combat pistol matches and the attendance went down as a result.

I believe Bullseye pistol shooting is the purist form of pistol shooting. I am going to be 70 in a few months and I am still competitive in the sport.

Doug Bowser

Last edited by Doug Bowser; November 24, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old November 26, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
M4BGRINGO

To you guys that shoot 80% or better with your Bullseye Shooting: You have a damn steady hand and patience!

I like to hear the sound of steel being hit and watch it fall, or watch the dust from clays being destroyed.