The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 12, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
birdslayer

Browning Citori screw-in chokes

I have a Browning citori o/u 12ga. fixed choke full over mod eith 26" bbls. I am interested in installing thin wall ckoke tubes to make this a skeet sporting clays gun. I am looking for advice on wall thickness minimums, tool and choke selections.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:32 PM   #2
eastbank

i shot my first sporting clays match three weeks ago, and i was under choked with imp cyl. and lite mod. tubes in my browning citori, i broke 19 first time out. for the second round i used my 1954 browning choked full and mod. and broke 29. this week i,m taking my 1100 rem. with full and mod chokes and my browning citori with full and mod tubes. eastbank.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I am not sure I understood your question, but I will submit 2 answers. If you are planning on sending it out to someone for the choke work it would be best to e mail them as to their requirements as to barrel thickness etc. They will be happy to inform you as to outside and inside diameters needed for their tooling.
If you are planning on doing this work yourself I think you will find the cost very high, unless you are going to offer the services to others to defray the tooling cost. If not you can Google up several gunsmiths that do the work. I have used Mike Orlen, great work, quick turnaround. I hope this helps.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:21 AM   #4
sadsack

Bird: The max inside diameter for the thinwall 12 ga is .728, and the outside diameter must be .040 over the bore diameter to be safe(that would allow .020 wall thickness). Brownells lists .015 as absolute minimum wall thickness, but I feel safer at .018. (thinwall threads are .774)