The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Would you choose an automatic weapon for HD?
Yes 45 26.01%
No 128 73.99%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 17, 2009, 05:05 PM   #101
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Why do European societies embrace police with automatic weapons while US police shy away?
Because Europe didn't have prohibition and the gangster era. 100 years of movie and media influence.

They also use suppressors as hearing protection instead of "assassin's weapons."

NRA Life Member
Old February 17, 2009, 05:07 PM   #102
Skans

I voted "no" for the following reasons:

1. It's not necessary
2. I have one and it's too large to keep in my nightstand ready for action
3. It's worth too much to get confiscated in the event I actually kill someone with it.

4. I'm better with a handgun than I am with my AC556.
Old February 17, 2009, 08:33 PM   #103
publius

My fantasy- I can see it now, an electric cannon mounted on the widow's walk of my antebellum home. pity on the zombies. I have neither an antebellum home or minigun, but I can dream
Old February 17, 2009, 08:47 PM   #104
bvillars

full auto

full auto, most people have never been trained on these. they are great weapons and tri-burst are awesome. once again we are afraid of defending ourselves to the absolute power. we give kids a four thousand pound rocket for their first vehicle with very little training, but cannot defend ourselves or our actions even in this forum most disagree with the firepower.
Old February 17, 2009, 10:22 PM   #105
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkmp5sd
Because Europe didn't have prohibition and the gangster era. 100 years of movie and media influence.
My experience in Germany was that the police carried them because they weren't as concerned with collateral damage as are our police in lawsuit-happy America. Keep in mind that the rights we enjoy in this country others in Europe do not.

For instance, when the German cops pull you over and want to test your blood for too much alcohol you will give it up voluntary or otherwise
Old February 18, 2009, 05:08 AM   #106
Firepower!

Automatic MP5s give you the edge of fire successive rounds on the target in good accuracy at close ranges. In the US there has been always craze about what bigger etc rather than smaller and quicker- just like cars.