The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What is the optimum CCW for camping?
9mm is good enough 14 10.45%
40SW is a better choice 9 6.72%
38 special is perfect 6 4.48%
357 magnum is better 75 55.97%
22 LR is more than enough 5 3.73%
Other.... 25 18.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Duxman

"Camping" CCW

The SO is an avid camper in the woods. So I have promised her that this year 2007 - we will be going a minimum of 6 times. But with the caveat that it will be somewhere in VA, or a location that recognizes VA CC permits.

So far so good. Since most of the dangers in the woods - are primarily of the 4 legged variety - I was wondering - what is the minimum handgun (I might keep a rifle in the truck for a backup weapon) caliber I should carry to protect myself against the common threats:

Bears, Coyotes, Wolf, Wild dogs, etc.

9mm, 40SW?

Also should I use JHPs, or go FMJ for penetration.

PS I only put in the calibers that are available to me right now. If justifiable I might go buy another gun - but that is not in the near future.

Last edited by Duxman; May 24, 2007 at 12:53 PM. Reason: explanation of caliber choices
Old May 24, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2
echaraska

.40 on just about everything but bears. I wouldn't try shooting at a bear with less than .500 S&W or 000 buckshot.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
hexidismal

Having been asked this many times before, I must say I always find the question a little odd. No offense intended of course. Personally though, I would think the real question is one you have to ask yourself. Rather than worrying about the minimum caliber, ask yourself this... 'Of the firearms I own or am willing to buy specifically for this purpose, what is the largest caliber and sized firearm I am willing and able to carry without it interfering with my planned activities ?' That pretty much covers you , right ?

If the .40S&W is the biggest you've got, then there you go. It's not optimal, so if you can and want to buy a more appropriate woods gun, then go for it. Good excuse for a new gun anyway.

That being said.. although I am far more of an indoorsman than an outdoorsman. My woods gun of choice is either a 4 or 6 inch ( preferably the 6" , carried in a vert. shoulder rig) smith 686p .357 mag, loaded with 2 snakeloads and 5 heavy hard casts. Some people I know won't do the woods thing without a .44 mag.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Musketeer

It really depends where you are. NORMALLY a sturdy 357 will handle just about anything. I would not use the 125 gr JHPs that I normally depend on but instead something 158 grains or larger.

My personal gun would be my 10mm Colt Delta with 200grain XTPs from Double Tap. 21" of penetration and good expansion should handle most 4 legged creatures in the lower 48 but if I knew I was going to be in large bear country I may opt for something on the order of a 44mag.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old May 24, 2007, 01:11 PM   #5
CarbineCaleb

+1 on a 3-4" 686P loaded with either 170-180gr hardcast or softpoint bullets at hunting velocities. Not too heavy or bulky, good capacity, and excellent penetration.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:20 PM   #6
DonR101395

For me it's a toss up between the .357 and a .44 special.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:41 PM   #7
markj

Quote:
Bears, Coyotes, Wolf, Wild dogs, etc.
I camp a lot, never had a problem with any critter other than racoons. They are smart. If and I mean if a bear gets after you, best have a large caliber on hand. 44mag or bigger, it will also take care of the "little ones".

Find a campground other folks use, keep food put away, if in bear country this means up off the ground tied off a tree limb high enough nothing can get it (we do this hunting) the others shouldnt be a problem unless rabid. I never heard of any coyote of wolf going after a human, dogs scare easily enough.

If you keep a rifle in the back, make sure nobody can get it while you are away hiking etc.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Duxman

I've got the 357 magnum, but I feel more comfortable with the 40SW as I have probably logged 3K rounds off my 40 guns, as opposed to 200 off my newly acquired 357.

Also I am a more accurate shot with the 40 than the 357.

I really have very little hunting experience and dont know how the 4 legged creatures would react to getting hit with a 40SW as opposed to a 357 magnum.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
wayneinFL

I usually just carry the same snubby I always carry, loaded with 38 special. At the most I'll carry a 45.

We never see bears around here anyway. Just gators and snakes, and that means you watch where you're walking.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:47 PM   #10
PTR 91

Ok honestly, if a bear was attacking and you shot it let's say 15 times with 9mm that that would not do anything. I would say use 44.
Old May 24, 2007, 04:08 PM   #11
ohioleadslinger

If I was more fearful of two legs then I would say .357. But a two legged beast ain't likely to maul me and eat my tender carcass. .44 629 Classic. And for those who say 629 CCW? You can't hide that! Slide holster on a good cant. I say let it print a bit under a light denim shirt. I defiantly won't care if the bear sees it and even less if a two legged beast also sees a bulge.

Godbless....
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old May 24, 2007, 04:51 PM   #12
rantingredneck

OK first let's define the potential "bear" threats the OP might encounter. He specifically said VA or somewhere that recognizes VA permits. I'm sure VA permits are recognized in a lot of places, but if the majority of this camping will be done in VA or anywhere in the east or southeast we're talking black bears, not grizzlies.

We've had one poster say nothing short of a .500SW for goodness sake!

If it were me I'd carry your .357 It will get the job done with the right ammo. The .40SW would be marginal, but would work with proper shot placement and ammo.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:03 PM   #13
ConcealCarryNY

Ok first off if you know what you are doing and you follow proper camping guidelines as pertaining to food storage, handling, preparation, and disposal you will not have any problem with any animals. I usually just take my 10/22 with me if I am camping more as an oh crap I am lost and I need food thing then anything else. I usually hike in to where I camp. If you plan on using a state camp ground where folks are on sites nearby I would say you are more likely to have problems with them then animals.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:14 PM   #14
armedandsafe

You say you are more comfortable with your .40 than .357 because you've put so many rounds down range. This becomes a no brainer for the .357, lad. You just built an excuse to go shooting A LOT! Now, go out and buy ammo.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old May 24, 2007, 05:24 PM   #15
Merkaba

backpacking/hiking/camping

one of the main reasons I got my CCW was so I can carry when backpacking/hiking/camping. I live in Colorado and have seen one bear while hiking in the 2 years I've been here. And I don't hike all that much. I usually take my P220 (.45 w/ 230 gr.) And if not the .45 I take my .357 S&W 686 6" w/ 158 gr. I wouldn't want anything less than that 'out in the woods'. Where I go its usually not practical for me to bring a rifle or shotgun.

I do consider these calibers to be on the light side of what you ultimately want to defend against a bear but I don't own a .44 mag or anything bigger, yet.

We have a fair amount of mountain lions and bears from what I understand.
side note: I've heard mountain lions out behind my house which is kind of in the country and its the creepiest thing I've ever heard. It 100% sounds like a woman screaming. I was about to dial 911 but I looked around at the nearby houses and no one else was turning their lights on. But I never heard a word. Just this weird screaming like a woman being beaten or killed or something. I looked it up and a mountain lion in heat sounds like that.

I have a waistpack carried in front so I can still have quick access with my big backpack on my back. After I get camp set up I just carry in a holster or waistpack. I just ordered a padded waistpack for comforts sake.
P220 isn't the lightest firearm for carry. But its the lightest of the two I own.

.357 or .45 when 'out in the woods' for me.

Last edited by Merkaba; May 24, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:42 PM   #16
tony pasley

I would recommend a Charter Arms Bulldog, it is 44 spl. 5 shot light wieght. Camping, hiking, would handle anything you would have a problem with in Va.
Old May 24, 2007, 05:49 PM   #17
ohioleadslinger

As far as an actual attack I think I would fear it being more apt to happen with the mountain lion's. I believe there have been several attacks just in the last few years. If I was in that country I would agree .357 would fit that bill. Black bear I would say marginal .357 but constantly be thinking darn why am I packing this instead of two 4's. If in Brown or Grizzly territory I would be packing my .44 but wishing I had the cabbage to buy a .454 casull and slip that under a shirt.

Godbless.....
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old May 24, 2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Edward429451

Double post.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Edward429451

I don't do the woods anymore with less than a 44 mag. I'd feel ok with a 357 if thats all I had though. I'd put heavy solid bullets in it.

I'm a little bit in awe at how more and more people are advising minor caliber pistols for woods bumming. Sure, a 9, 40, or 45 will take care of mountain lions & feral dogs, but the stopping power of these rounds are questionable enough even on humans. Methinks the prudent thing to do is have something capable enough for the most dangerous beast in your area. Minor calibers may cover you for 98% of potential encounters but guns are made for THOSE 2% times.

Maybe it takes a close call to convince oneself and these are the guys who spout 44, 500 S&W etc..I had my close call.

One poster awhile back started a thread "What 38 Special load for black bear?" Guarenteed he's never had a close call.

Bring enough gun.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:54 PM   #20
Slugthrower

Not too sure about private camp grounds, the VA State parks recognize and allow concealed carry. Do not go to the National Parks, they expressly forbid any form of carry.

If you are comfortable with the .40 S&W that would be your best choice. A mag full of 155-165 JHP for two legged predators and medium sized animals will be adequate. You will also want to have a magazine of 180 FMJ rounds as well. The extra weight and toughness will help in penetrating tougher animals. The .357 with LSW 158+ grain bullets is by far better though.

Hopefully there will be no need for either. Happy camping fellow Virginian.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:03 PM   #21
Tac1911

Anyone with experiance with one opt for a FN 5-7?
Old May 24, 2007, 07:24 PM   #22
B. Adams

Personally, I'd go with my .45, mostly because my .40 seems so much louder to me. Since you probably won't have hearing protection on when you need it, that seems like the best choice IMO. I don't even want to know how bad my ears would ring after shooting a .44 without protection.

But since a .45 isn't on your list, I chose the .357.

And just give the .357 some time, it shouldn't take you long to be more accurate with it than the .40.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:52 PM   #23
maverickmage

Quote:
I'm a little bit in awe at how more and more people are advising minor caliber pistols for woods bumming. Sure, a 9, 40, or 45 will take care of mountain lions & feral dogs, but the stopping power of these rounds are questionable enough even on humans. Methinks the prudent thing to do is have something capable enough for the most dangerous beast in your area. Minor calibers may cover you for 98% of potential encounters but guns are made for THOSE 2% times.
Then what's made for the 98% if guns are made for the remaining 2%?

No seriously, a 9 is fine. I camp several times every year and the most that I think people should worry about are snakes than anything on four legs... although that's not to say that I haven't had my own fair share of mountain lions and (black) bears. If a bear's rummaging through your tent and food... leave it alone. Don't think about shooting it. The chances are, whatever comes out of handgun isn't enough to stop it.

Most animals will leave you alone, particularly in areas where there are frequent campers anyways. But if you're that worried... carry a rifle instead. It'll serve you better outdoors. IMHO though... I don't think there's anyone who hasn't lived near a hunting area that I would trust to stop a wild animal if it charges them.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:59 PM   #24
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
If a bear's rummaging through your tent and food... leave it alone. Don't think about shooting it.
I would definitely agree with this poster's point that discretion is the better part of valor with bears. My body doesn't work anymore for such things, but I did enough backpacking back in the day and also saw enough bears of all kinds. Never needed to shoot one and I think it would have been a bad idea to convert a bear encounter to a bear fight by shooting, both for me, and for the bear. The one time I felt a need to go after a critter it was with some skunks that were way too bold in camp and I took care of that with a few hefty and well pitched stones.

Anyway, if you're determined to bring a gun for protection, I still think the .357 Magnum is the way to go, but if you're also determined to bring the .40S&W as the gun, I think you'll find some very interesting .40S&W loads from the folks at DoubleTap. Hot loaded, heavy, slow expanding hollowpoints and even hot loaded, heavy hard cast lead rounds. They do take the .40S&W as far as it will go in this role, anyway.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/
Old May 24, 2007, 09:59 PM   #25
treg

I prefer to take 2 handguns camping. A .22 for plinking and small critters. A larger one for more serious jobs that have thankfully never materialized.