The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 23, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
baddarryl

.22 Buckmark, Ruger Mk II and III; 22/45 or S&W .22 A1?

Looking for an auto .22. Between these what do do prefer and are there any others that I am missing that compete in quality and price?

Last edited by baddarryl; September 23, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:14 PM   #2
kfinks

Beretta Neos is another option. Strange looking, but I have thousands of trouble free rounds through mine.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Arkhog

Buckmark

I don't have experience with the Smith 22A and can't comment on it. I have owned several versions of the Ruger Mark series over the years. My favorite now is the Browning Buckmark. I bought the Camper model knowing that it was the least expensive of the Buckmark line. I have enjoyed it in all regards. It is accurate and reliable. The trigger is lighter and smoother in my opinion than the Ruger.

Good luck with your new purchase.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
AdrianVall

LOVE my 22/45. Great gun. SR22 is also a great gun. I might have gotten the Buckmark if I had the money though. But I'm very pleased with my purchases.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:46 PM   #5
loc123

Ruger MK III. Solid contruction.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #6
dfsixstring

My RST4S is the "Standard" equivalent to the MKi (circa-1984). Built like a tank - plan to have it for decades more.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old September 23, 2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Arkie45

Love my Browning Buckmark, and my wife's Mk III Hunter stainless both. The Buckmark feels and shoots great as does the Mk III. Can't go wrong with either!
Old September 23, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
baddarryl

The reason I am asking is I have the chance to trade a stainless P89 for a MKII stainless with a 5 inch bull barrel. We are going to go shoot them both together and may trade. Seems like a pretty even swap if I like it. I love the P89, but I have 2 other 9mm's and no .22!
Old September 24, 2012, 12:55 AM   #9
jmstr

If you have 2 other 9mm handguns but don't own a .22lr handgun, you need one!

Of course, if you have 2 other 9mm handguns, I'd say you need about 6 more of those also! and an assortment in other calibers too.

Seriously though, the MK II is WIDELY sought due to the lack of the frequently hated loaded chamber indicator that exists in the MK III designs [whether it is 'luger-esque' or .22/.45 type]. I have a MK II .22/.45 and it is great to shoot. I know some complain about Ruger disassembly, but I don't find the MK II style to be all that difficult, once you do it a few times slowly.

None of the handguns you listed are true competition target pistols. And none of them cost what a true competition target .22lr pistol would. The Ruger has a VERY good reputation for accuracy, reliability and fun. As with all handguns, you have to experiment with ammo to find the 'right' one for it. I personally haven't found a .22lr ammo my 22/45 won't load/fire/eject/repeat reliably.

The same is usually said of BuckMark pistols by Browning. S&W Model 21s have a decent rep as well.

IF you are not going to be sad at the loss of your P89 and you like your other 9mm handguns as much, if not more, I'd jump ALL over this offer: IF the bore is clean and the gun is in good functioning order.

Any used handgun needs to be gone over to verify the condition of the firearm before buying, even from a friend.

One drawback to the Ruger MK II/MK III design [in either form] is that the barrel is the registered firearm part, unlike Buckmarks where you can buy a new barrel and swap it out if there is a problem down the road, and not have to go through a FFL to do so. So be sure the barrel has good lands/grooves and no pitting before you do the deal, if you do.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:45 AM   #10
cecILL

I would make the trade.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Pilot

I prefer the Ruger MK II. I have three of them, and a MK II era 22/45 (similar gun with polymer frame, and 1911 grip angle). They are very accurate, reliable, and built like tanks. They will outlast you.

The Ruger MK III's are similar but have a few negative features that were added due to liability issues, and CA requirements. Loaded chamber indicator, and mag disconnect. If yu can find a used MK II get that. If you can't find a MK II, the MK III's can be modded to get rid of that stuff.

The Browning Buckmark would be my second choice, but somre prefer them over the Ruger.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:41 AM   #12
berettaprofessor

Depends; if you like the 1911 style grip, then the 22/45 as a practice gun for your 1911. On the other hand I have both the 22/45 and Buckmark and think the buckmark is slightly more accurate in my hands. And on the third hand, the 22/45 now comes with replaceable grips and there are more trigger and aftermarket options for the Ruger.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:23 PM   #13
pilpens

I have several .22LR pistols.
1. Browning Buckmark 7" Bull Fluted(2)
2. Ruger MKII - 5" Bull and 7 inch slabside(2)
3. S&W 41 5" inch heavy barrel (1)
All are good pistols.

Ruger MK is built to last.
I shoot the Buckmark slightly better than the Ruger but this may just be a consequence of the trigger.
S&W 41 is very nice but I would buy 2 buckmarks or rugers before I get another S&W41.
===
Recently, browning fix a broken rear sight rail screw for free (I had to pay shipping only).
===
Of the ones I have, I use the Buckmark the most.
===
If I were to get another .22, It would be a 22/45 with the wood grips.
Old September 24, 2012, 03:05 PM   #14
jmstr

It seems the OP has two real questions in this thread.

He 'buried the lead' in the thread by revealing later that he has a chance to swap a Ruger P89 for a Ruger MKII and asked if he should do the deal. That seems like it should be the lead question.

The second question is what he asked first: what do we recommend in the sub-$500 category of .22lr handgun.

Pilpens, your comments seem to fit his original question well, but I had a follow-up question to your post.

You said that:
Quote:
pilpens I have several .22LR pistols.
1. Browning Buckmark 7" Bull Fluted(2)
2. Ruger MKII - 5" Bull and 7 inch slabside(2)
3. S&W 41 5" inch heavy barrel (1)
All are good pistols.

Ruger MK is built to last.
I shoot the Buckmark slightly better than the Ruger but this may just be a consequence of the trigger.
S&W 41 is very nice but I would buy 2 buckmarks or rugers before I get another S&W41.
===
Recently, browning fix a broken rear sight rail screw for free (I had to pay shipping only).
===
Of the ones I have, I use the Buckmark the most.
===
If I were to get another .22, It would be a 22/45 with the wood grips.

Ok, Pilpens, Here's the question:

If you didn't have ANY .22lr handguns [none, zilch, nada], which would you buy as your ONLY .22lr [for now] and why?

I am genuinely curious.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:49 PM   #15
baddarryl

Well the deal fell through. My buddies wife likes the Ruger too much. Heck, he fubar'd it and didn't even bring to the range for a try! Welcome to borrow it some time though. Thank everyone. Guess I'll just have to try a few.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:04 PM   #16
1stmar

I have a 22A, I don't care for the grip, the gun sits higher in my hand then I like and the grip is bigger thenit needs to be. I have not been able to find any aftermarket grips. Was to do over, ruger mkII.

Last edited by 1stmar; September 26, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:12 PM   #17
TennJed

Go with your gut or what feels best in your hand. All 3 are great guns. Not sure you could make a bad choice
Old September 24, 2012, 08:54 PM   #18
marine6680

I like the Buckmark... but not the need for a tool to field strip.

So I choose the Ruger Mark III... and the SR22, not as accurate but fun.

If the Buckmark broke down without a tool... I would get it. Its just a pet peev of mine with the tools required thing. I don't even like the fact I need a screwdriver to break down my 10/22...
Old September 24, 2012, 10:12 PM   #19
AllThrtl

Have had a Buckmark and liked it very well, although it was kinda picky about bulk ammo. 2 weeks ago I bought a Mark II Competition Target model (6 7/8" bull barrel I believe) and I absolutely love it. I've shot just about 1000 rounds of every kind of bulk ammo I can find and have only had 2 rounds cause problems. It's crazy accurate I think it's easier to clean than the Buckmark. Both are good guns and you can't go wrong either way, just buy lots of mags and have a blast...
Old September 25, 2012, 10:59 AM   #20
Mikey Idaho

I'd prefer a Buckmark, though if I planned on suppressing it I'd get the 22/45 Lite that just came out.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old September 25, 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
m_liebst

My stainless 5.5 inch bull barrel 22/45 has had zero malfunctions for several thousand rounds. A big part of that,-being due to proper upkeeping and the ammo I choose to shoot through it. I've over 9k of ammo through it and I plan to try for 100k

Accuracy is great: I can attain 5 shot groups of under and inch at 25 yards rested n scoped.

Functioning and reliability have been unexpectedly flawless after breaking in.

I've heard good things about the BuckMark and have shot several. 2 things I noticed out of the box that was better than the Ruger, was that the trigger was a bit more crisp on the buckmark. The buckmark also has better ergonomically fitting grips

I still prefer my Ruger with all the upgradeable options and "functioning reliability", but The BM would be my second choice.

Last edited by m_liebst; September 25, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:22 PM   #22
k511

i own a buckmark, a MKI, MKII, and 22/45 and of the 4 i prefer the 22/45 main reason being that it is very familiar to the 1911 the pistol in which i handle and shoot the most.My buckmark is great but is ammo picky and only eats the good stuff where the 22/45 and the MK's eat everything. the MK's are great shooters and very accurate, but again i just prefer the grip of the 22/45 .I ended up with the bull barrel model and added some VQ internals (which i do with all my rimfire's) and some nice 1911 grips, replaced the standard sights with williams firesights... only had it a year and already 4k+ rounds with zero problems
Old September 25, 2012, 05:48 PM   #23
m_liebst

Quote:
My buckmark is great but is ammo picky and only eats the good stuff where the 22/45 and the MK's eat everything.
From my experience I fully agree with you. My testing with several BuckMark pistols revealed it to have some failures with feeding and ejecting with Federal, Winchester, and even with the CCI blazer.

The Ruger eats everything I've tried so far. But I feed it a steady diet of CCI Blazer for the unpresedented primer reliability factor. I haven't gotten 1 dud yet using any of CCI's ammo.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:24 PM   #24
pilpens

If only one 22LR pistol, then Ruger 22/45 (5.5 bull or fluted barrel) with wood panel grips and adjustable sights over the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKII/MKIII because:
1. Good price for good quality pistol - approx $300.
2. Expect same accuracy and reliability as MKII/MKIII pistols and buckmarks.
3. Better grip angle than MKII/MKIII.
4. Probably more durable than Browning Buckmark.
5. Good trigger out of the box based on two pistols I have tried recently. I would likely replace the trigger with a Marvel or Clark for better trigger feel.
---------------------------------------
Just to give more info on what influence my choice for 22/45.
Browning Buckmark -----------
1. Trigger on some models have a lot of creep and over-travel.
2. ejector loosen - both my 7inch Bullseye model have wobbly ejector wires. It has been approx 4000 rounds for the two pistols since I have noticed it and no failures, yet.
3. screws loosen - sight rail screws have lossened on both pistols including the barrel screws. On pistol A, I used loctite and fixed the issue for a long time but the rear sight screw head broke off several thousands of rounds after (problem fixed by browning for free). On pistol B, no loctite, screws continue to loosen. No more loctite to allow screws to loosen instead of breaking off the head.
4. Both Bullseye model are very accurate and reliable even with bulk HV ammo.
5. the 7 inch bull barrel feels a little front heavy sometimes.
6. Had a hunter model. Trigger has creep and a lot of over travel - did the sear spring flip which improve the trigger pull weight. Later replaced the 7 inch barrel with a 4 inch slabside. Now the pistol is owned by my GFs grandmother
Ruger MKII -------------
1. 5.5 inch bull barrel has better balance than 7 inch slabside.
2. Accuracy is as good as Buckmark.
3. Reliability is as good as the Buckmark.
4. Gets dirtier faster than the Buckmark. Trigger becomes gritty.
5. Easy to fix when frame/barrel fit loosens (just use C-clamp to tighten the frame). I have done this twice on my 5.5 inch pistol.
6. Grip angle too steep (only because I shoot other pistols with 1911 grip angle).
7. In my case, Replaced stock grip with wood finger groove to compensate for grip angle, Replaced trigger with Clark and Marvel for better feel and reduce over travel. Replaced stock sear with VQ sear to reduce trigger pull weight and work hammer to reduce creep.
============
pilpens
Old September 25, 2012, 09:13 PM   #25
1911steelplate

So nothing has been mentioned about the Walther P22 or the Sig Misquito, both are around the $350 range give or take. Both are great choises for plinkers, not target level but equal to the others. I've also picked up a GSG 1911 22, I haven't had any problems with it. And it's also in the mid 300's. Just a couple more to think about.