The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 3, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Coyote Blue

Arizona police officer asked not to wear uniform at daughter’s school

Just when we thought we've heard it all.

Quote:
A police officer who dropped off his daughter at her Phoenix elementary school was asked by the school’s principal not to wear his uniform to the school because other parents were concerned that he was carrying a gun, MyFoxPhoenix.com reported.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/03...cmp=latestnews

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old October 3, 2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Yep, some people don't like guns. Some don't trust cops.
Old October 3, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3
zxcvbob

I think it's funny. At least getting upset about a cop with a *real* gun makes more sense than having a hissy fit about a Pop-tart with a couple of bites taken out of the corner (so it is vaguely shaped like a pistol.)

Their stupidity finally shows enough that everybody can see it. How can that not be a good thing?
Old October 3, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

What? Huh? Who?....

This Phoenix AZ news item goes in my; "What? Huh? Who?" file.
The school staff & administrators over-reacted in this incident.
A military service member, sworn LE officer, security guard or any other uniformed professional should be able to go on school property w/o being hassled.
People who are "afraid of guns" or "scared" by armed professionals/armed citizens should learn & understand the law(s) of their state/municipality.

Doing security work, I tend to avoid wearing my full uniform & duty belt(sidearm) off duty or while in transit to/from the job location because it can sometimes draw undue attention or cause confusion in some places.
It could also mark you as a automatic target in a armed robbery or violent crime.
I also like to change clothes prior to my duty shift but not security posts allow it.
Old October 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

School administrator(s), guns....

A few days ago, in my metro area, a elementary school administrator(Vice Principal) was doing a regular security sweep of the grounds(a security measure started after Sandy Hook 2012). He was attacked by a disheveled adult male who was hiding in the building.
The school official was beaten up but returned to work. He was not armed & the school didn't have any sworn LE officers or armed security at the time of the event.
The male subject is still at large.

Clyde
Old October 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

The ones that complaned WILL be the first to call the LAW ; ) PS California's movin East
Y/D

Last edited by tyme; October 3, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old October 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
armoredman

I am about 50 miles south of Phoenix. Some several years ago I was called to school while getting ready for work. I explained I was in uniform with sidearm. The school officials said, "Good, makes the place safer. When can you get here?"
Old October 3, 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
David13

armoredman
Thank you. That is what I would expect from Arizona. Not kowtowing to "scared" parents. Aka insane parents.
dc
Old October 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

County school board meeting(s), Common Core...

I also wanted to post about a recent incident at a local county school board meeting. A female board member, in a panic called 911/law enforcement because she thought the parents/speakers were "riled up" .
The board was discussing the new Common Core standards that seems to be a volatile subject all over the US with parents & educators.

Many school meetings & athletic events now have off duty sworn LE officers or uniformed security.
Old October 3, 2013, 06:59 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

Nevada wasn't invaded, it was over-run over 10 years ago (and one of the reasons I left).

This whole paranoia about ANYTHING being related to a gun is a terrorist attack has got to stop. The news today had a story about a girl suspended for wearing a pro-NRA t shirt to school that her dad gave her........or the kids who use a finger, the ones expelled for using air-soft on their own lawn, etc.

I suspect this country is about to have another Lexington/Concord/Boston Tea Party scenarios all too soon if the insanity is not brought under check
Old October 3, 2013, 07:13 PM   #11
campbed

Asked. No one ever said school parents or people who work at schools have to be reasonable or intelligent.

"Yea, that is not ever going to happen sir. Your time is probably better spent coddling those "concerned" parents, or their poor kids."
Old October 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

This thread started as a drive-by, then degenerated into blanket aspersions. The migratory habits and proclivities of Californians aren't appropriate discussion material.

If one of your posts was deleted, it was for good reason. Now would be a good time for many folks to review the forum rules.
Closed Thread