The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2009, 02:51 PM   #1
TimNelson

Walther p22 vs SIG Mosquito

I am looking for a .22 pistol that has the typical pistol grip not one of the target pistols. Just wondering what anyones thoughts are between these two guns.
Old April 30, 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
chucksolo69

I have had both and have kept the Mosquito. I found that the P22 felt like a toy compared to the SIG. Also, the P22, mine anyway was way too inaccurate. I have about 1500 rounds through my Mosquito without a failure, of course all I shoot out of it is CCI MiniMags.
Old April 30, 2009, 05:00 PM   #3
NGIB

I have both and I like the Mosquito better. For not much more you can get the Sig P220 in .22 at Bud's for $399 delivered. Mine came in 2 days ago and it's a great gun...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old April 30, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
LordofWar

Sig Mosquito is a far better weapon than a Walther P22.

P22 is a majorly flawed weapon suffering from FTFs & FTEs even with hyper velocity rounds.

It is an accurate pistol though. Not bad for plinking at the range.

Below are my P22s pictures..

Through 4 inches of wood. CCI 32 Gr Hypervelocity Hollow Point round.

Old April 30, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Microgunner

Quote:
For not much more you can get the Sig P220 in .22 at Bud's for $399 delivered.

Went to Bud's web sight. Couldn't find any P220 .22lr's for $399. Cheapest I could find was $488 for the SAO version. I believe the DA/SA version is more expensive.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/56480

I own a P22 and a Sig P226 .22lr. and the Sig is light years ahead of the Walther. Don't own a Mosquito though so don't know about that comparison.
Old April 30, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
cracked91

my p22 has yet to suffer a single ftf or fte from anything from federal bulk to CCI Stingers. Its comfortable, good looking, more compact that the mosquito. I only got mine about 4 months ago and was having to exact same debate. I finally settled on the p22 because it has been around longer, and more of the design flaws have been worked out than people realize. That being said I have never shot a mosquito, so I am biased
Old April 30, 2009, 08:10 PM   #7
chris in va

CZ Kadet. You won't regret it.

Old April 30, 2009, 09:36 PM   #8
Stan200

My P22 has never had a single problem and it has at least 1500 rounds through it by now. Not very accurate though. The Sig is a much better pistol but its about $70 more. I was thinking about trading my P22 in and getting a Mosquito but I just can't seem to part with it and I can't justify ~$360 for another .22, too many other toys to buy.

The P22 just looks so damn cool and the feeling is more viseral. It feels like your shooting a real pistol and it has a great muzzle flash. The Mosquito is likely more accurate and better all around, but the P22 is likely more fun if you don't mind larger groupings.

...and one last thing, I don't feed mine the expensive stuff. It likes that cheap 550 box stuff at Walmart.

Last edited by Stan200; April 30, 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:39 PM   #9
sltintexas

I love my mosquito. It was a little picky in the begining on ammo until I got it broken in. It still prefers CCI mini mags, but if I can put up with an FTE everyone once in a while I can shoot the cheap stuff.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
ATANRA

I have shot both. I have rather large hands and find the mosquito more comfortable to me. As far as accuracy sig wins in my hands.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:50 PM   #11
Dingoboyx

P22

+1 Stan. My P22 has a few thousand thru it now, no probs. Use heavier projectiles rater than lighter projectiles.... I use CCI standard 40gr solids and squirt them thru all day long

From new, a few hiccups (wrong ammo) and needs a little 'running in' time, but after finding what ammo it liked, never looked back

Keep an eye on the barrel nut tho, mine kept coming loose til I loctited it (blue)
Old May 2, 2009, 04:49 PM   #12
pinetree

I got my P22 as a plinker and to ride in my small survival bag. I have over a thousand rounds through it - no problem. Now I have had bad ammo, cheap bulk stuff that would have FTFire in all my 22's. It is a neat little gun and fun to shoot. It is accurate enough but can't compare to my Ruger MkII. I sometimes carry it walking, woods-bumming in a Fobus pancake - very light package. It will shoot Stingers but I prefer high velocity stuff to the hyper-velocity stuff. I am sure the SIG is nice but it is also more pricey.

When at the farm, I really enjoy setting up an "action" pistol run with various spinner targets, cans and stuff. Strange mag release but not that big of deal.