The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 12, 2017, 10:18 AM   #1
CockNBama

Adjust iron on foreend of double

20 gauge Yildiz sxs gets a little wobbly when it gets hot. I think I've read that this might entail an adjustment to the iron. Is that so, and how do I do it?

The "wobbly" sensation is all in the foreend, and is lateral, not fore and aft. The barrels stay firmly locked up with the receiver.
Old November 12, 2017, 12:50 PM   #2
tangolima

Sounds like the iron is fine. It is just how the forearm is attached to the iron.

I would suggest taking it to a competent smith. Break action shotguns required certain finesse to work on.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Virginian

Usually there is a little bit of slack side to side in the fit of fore end irons to the barrel latch. The mating of the barrels to the fore stock is supposed to keep things tight. A couple of shims with black electrical tape under the wood out of sight focusing on the center portion will usually fix things.
Old November 16, 2017, 08:45 PM   #4
bamaranger

videos

Midway USA has a really nice set of video's on youtube regards tightening up quality British doubles, done by an old school 'smith from England. Grand old gentleman it seems. I used some of the info/techniques there to tighten up an old Savage 311. There are sections on both the breeches (2 videos) forearms (1).....though whether your Yildiz forearm is attached like the demo gun I can't say.

The video of the old gent and his coming up in the trade is entertaining as well.

Oh yeah, CockNBama.......Roll Tide!
Old November 19, 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
CockNBama

Roger, Ranger. RTR. Thanks for the info, too.
Old November 19, 2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Virginian

Keep in mind we are talking Yildiz, not Purdey.
Old November 19, 2017, 04:56 PM   #7
CockNBama

This is an edit of an unwise, snarky response. I apologize for that.

I've now viewed both the videos on forend adjustment. I have not done the job yet, though I feel it is within my range of mechanical skills. Before I upset the iron, I will try Virginian's notion of shims.

Thanks to all for the info and the cautions.

Last edited by CockNBama; November 20, 2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:02 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Stop thinking iron for starters. It's not iron. It may not be steel either though.
Fiddling with doubles is really best left to those who are trained and experienced. It doesn't take much to throw off the regulating of the barrels.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Virginian

I was a licensed gunsmith for many years. I may have jumped the shark, but I have learned to read between the lines when listening to gun owners. You want your fore end to stop wiggling.
The barrels on a Purdey are usually VERY thin, and the value of the gun warrants a careful and well thought out process before undertaking ANY repair or alteration. A Yildiz has considerably thicker barrels, is worth much less, and is not assembled with near the care. They are very serviceable firearms. The quality is somewhat variable, but they are not what I would consider a bad deal for anyone who does not anticipate shooting truckloads of shells through them. You are not going to disturb the POI by installing soft shims under the fore end to just snug things up, and it will probably not detract from the resale value if you ever decide to sell it.
Old November 21, 2017, 07:25 AM   #10
CockNBama

Virginian, I agree with you about the shims, and about the Yildiz. It is a cheap, serviceable gun that I've already learned a lot with. I think of it as my "try gun", and I'll attempt things with it I would not venture to do with my Elsie.

I'll let you know how this turns out.