The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 7, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
t45

Scored a 2000rds 223 today.

I bought 2000rds at Gander Mountain today at 489.00 per 1000. The way 223 ammo is now days it wasnt to bad of a deal. The hard part is being there when they have it.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
loose_holster_dan

woa! i hope it was titanium plated!
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 7, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

What kind of .223 was it? Wolf? Federal? tracer? FMJ?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 7, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
t45

Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ's brass case. Not to many cheap ammo deals out there anymore. I was down to my last 20rds and was in the store at the right time. I'll put these back for a rainy day and get back to reloading.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
shootniron

I couldn't buy 2k rounds of any ammo in my area at any price.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Bamashooter

So it looks like Gander Mountain is still raping the public. $489 per 1000 is criminal. Especially american eagle.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:40 PM   #7
ScottRiqui

Wow - how much .223 do you shoot that you decided to "stock up" at those prices? Still, I'm happy for you that you were able to find some.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8
t45

I bought 1 case for a friend. I thought the price was a little high but had the money and it was available. Go to Gunbroker and see the madness.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Marquezj16

That's not a great deal but at least you got some. If people can think back just a little, Wal Mart sold Federal 100 packs for 39.99. That's not a great deal more per round.

Yeah, I reload all my .223 average cost is around 12-15 cents depends on bullet. But hey, even reloading components are getting rare.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Ben Towe

T45, good for you.

I don't know where the rest of you guys are, but around here $489 per thousand is dirt cheap. I picked up some M855 today for 75ยข a round and was glad it was that cheap. M193 and similar has been bringing over $1 per round since about December 20th. You have to pay to play, and I like to shoot.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:33 PM   #11
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I don't know where the rest of you guys are, but around here $489 per thousand is dirt cheap.
Oh, I'm not saying it's a bad price -- for today. That's why I was curious how often he shot. I think the end of the ammo pricing/availability debacle is in sight, so I probably would have just bought enough to "limp through" the next month or two, and then see how the prices are then, rather than dropping five bills on a case today.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:02 PM   #12
stu925

I'd never get to shoot if I had to pay that price for ammo. Luckily I can produce my own for a fraction of that price.

Stu
Old February 7, 2013, 10:23 PM   #13
t45

I also reload. Small rifle primers and bullets are scarce also. I only have a few small rifle primers left. I hope things start to turn around. I much prefer to reload than buy ammo. You have to make the best of it. I know .50 a round isnt the cheapest ever. Im just glad I could find something to shoot. The normal around here is bare shelves or. 75 to $1.00 per round. Dont get me started on 22 rimfires.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Mezzanine

I use to shop at gander mountain, then i looked at prices online... And if your wondering how bad their prices are, 2 weeks ago i went in to get a couple ammo boxes, no big deal there 10 bucks everywhere so might as well save the S&H costs. Went to the used gun rack, Browning Light 12, rust on the receiver, bluing about a 3/10 condition bolt wasnt far behind. Receiver was Belgian, barrel was Japanese. Tag said $700.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:37 AM   #15
HKFan9

Quote:
I think the end of the ammo pricing/availability debacle is in sight
Unfortunately it has only started my friend. I have been told to not expect shipments of reloading primers because they are being allocated to manufacture ammo. The ammo mfg's are working non stop trying to keep up with demand, problem is the demand is unmanageable at the moment.

Our shop has sold out of .22-.308 and any we get in is gone within a few hours.

They won't get their "assault weapons" ban.. and I doubt they will get their magazine ban either, but they are going to come hard for ammo, and universal checks.

I have sold guns for a lot of years.. this is the worst I have ever seen it. Plants were telling us they can't even get the raw materials in the plants fast enough to produce.

I wouldn't expect to find many deals on .223 ammo any time soon.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:39 AM   #16
allaroundhunter

Quote:
So it looks like Gander Mountain is still raping the public. $489 per 1000 is criminal. Especially american eagle.
If by "still" you mean they are still charging what they used to, then yes. Actually, down here they used to charge $12/20 when they had it in stock.... With that in mind, t45 made a steal!
Old February 8, 2013, 02:31 AM   #17
stephen426

Heck, I used to buy .223 at $5/box of 20. I'm talking about PMC and not that Russian stuff. Just 12 years ago, I was buying 50 round boxes of WWB 9mm for $5 a box! While I love going to the range, I hate blowing through ammo when it is so hard to come by these days. I bought a few hundred round of .45 ACP and paid almost $.40 a round. At least shot shells still seem to be somewhat reasonable. I'm sure they will start going up as well since they use the same raw materials as other ammo.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:46 PM   #18
sailskidrive

I bet prices coming CRASHING down in the Fall.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old February 9, 2013, 02:19 AM   #19
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailskidrive
Boy I hope you're right! I seriously doubt it though. Ammo manufacturers are enjoying this panic buying and cashing in on it. What incentive do they have to lower prices after the frenzy dies down? Business is business my friends. I'm sure most manufacturers are running almost non-stop right now. When things die down, they will just trim the extra staff.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:24 AM   #20
Bamashooter

Allaroundhunter I dont have a problem with someone paying what they want to pay for ammunition. I never have and never will pay those kind of prices and I have 1000's of rounds of 223/5.56. It might be the norm in south texas but its not here in bama.

I personally will not ever do business with any company big box or other that charges outrageous prices. I understand they are in it to make money but some of these places charge very inflated prices that Im not ever going to pay. Its ridiculous. Besides there are plenty of places that charge fair prices and dont try and send their kids to college on one ammo sale.

Im a cheap bastard anyway, thats why I reload.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:20 AM   #21
madcratebuilder

These prices are nuts, three months ago I bought 3K of LC M193 for $900. I hope prices settle down by time I need more.
Old February 9, 2013, 07:05 PM   #22
tobnpr

Quote:
Well, back to where they were.
The reality is, that overall, there is no more "shooting" happening than before some of us went into a panic attack.

In fact, I'd wager less shooting, since the panic buying has driven up prices. Do you drive more, or less- when gasoline prices go up?

This is nothing more than a function of people stacking stuff on their shelves.

So the guy that now has a year's worth (or two..or three...) of ammo or components; well, he's not going to be buying any more for a while.

The only way demand would remain at these levels is if people actually started shooting MORE in aggregate, and that ain't happening, especially at these prices. This is nothing more than a temporary spike in demand, and the resulting temporary spike in prices.

Economics 101. When demand returns to normal levels- and it will- prices will return to "normal". After all, how much are you really going to shoot if ammo is two bucks a round??
Old February 9, 2013, 10:04 PM   #23
chris in va

For me there comes a point when cost of guns or ammo far exceeds actual necessity. Paying $500 for a thousand rounds of ammo is far beyond the line, especially with my income.

At this point I'm looking at stockpiling wheelweights for casting. They'll be pretty hard to find before long.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:27 PM   #24
4runnerman

I am shooting less than normal too. I would think everyone is these day's. I was fortunate enough that I loaded up before all this happened. I go the Scheels 2 times a week all the time. Everytime I am there I pick up a bag of brass or primers or ect ect. I am sitting more than good enough to get me through the summer with no issues. I got into the hoarding thing with 22;s here about 2 or 3 years ago. God i swear i have 10,000 of them left. I sure hope this comes to an end soon here.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:51 PM   #25
kennethlee

+1 tobnpr. How many times have we seen this cycle? It's all supply and demand. Right now prices are based on a false fear that there will be an on-going shortage, and we, the willing buyers, are keeping the price high. What do we think would happen if a large number of us decided to not buy any ammo for a month? Guaranteed the supply would go up and the price would go down.