The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #1
HKFan9

Need Waterproof 9mm ammo.

I need a recommendation for a GOOD waterproof 9mm round. Performance is great, but I need them to be 100% waterproof. I am figuring most NATO rounds would be, but does anyone have any recommendations.

You might be asking why..... Although it is freezing cold right now, I am an avid fisherman in the warmer months here in PA. Me and a buddy of mine who is a former Green Beret chase small mouth all over the place. We often fish the Susquehanna River when it is low. Problem we are running into is increased crime in the area, and we often run in to a lot of homeless people. Some are harmless, others will try to rob you if they can corner you.

Generally speaking I have always just carried a knife due to being soaked from wade fishing, but I fear the issue is getting worse. We wade fish, often times in water up to my chest, or we will even jump in the current to wash down river to a better spot. Also I am a kayak-er, and I would like to take the firearm with me, but I have rolled and flipped my kayak on a few occasions as well.

I picked up a LNIB Glock 19 with 3 mags for $200 recently, and I am in the process of ordering the Maritime spring cups for it. I did not want to drag one of my 1911 or more expensive guns through the abuse of the river.

My concern is... I want to be armed like I normally am.. but chances are the gun will be submerged under water about 70% of the day. I know a Glock is up to the task, but I want to make sure my ammo is as well. I am not an ammunition expert, so I am looking for better in sight.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Doyle

All modern ammo is waterproof - just ask spear fishermen who use powerheads. The only issue is that if the rounds are allowed to stay wet for a long period of time then you could get corrosion around the primer pockets (much more of a problem with salt water than fresh water). Just dry your ammo out at the end of the day and you'll be fine.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
gundog5

I have two recommendations. 1. Go google and type in Primer Sealant. One drop on the side of the primer and make sure it travels all the way around the open space between the primer and shell case. This will seal the primer from water. I am not sure you would need to do the same to the bullet as it is pressed in and be ok. You might want to conduct a water test with just the primer sealant. 2. seal a clip or two with a vacuum sealer and carry them in a secured packet.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Madcap_Magician

Well-crimped ammo with sealed primers would be fine. If your primers aren't sealed, then just use colored nail polish (easier to tell if you fully sealed the primer than the clear stuff is).
Old February 6, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
All modern ammo is waterproof - just ask spear fishermen who use powerheads. The only issue is that if the rounds are allowed to stay wet for a long period of time then you could get corrosion around the primer pockets (much more of a problem with salt water than fresh water). Just dry your ammo out at the end of the day and you'll be fine.
Cool, learned something today. Time to go home.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 6, 2013, 04:23 PM   #6
HKFan9

On a kayaking, and camping trip... I do seal loaded magazines and other essentials in a water proof bag, however I am more concerned with an immediate action where I may need to draw the firearm and fire.

There was one occasional where I rolled my kayak when I hooked a musky with an ultra-lite rod while targeting small mouth. But my bigger concern was wade fishing and having the gun submerged for most of the day.

I have heard of primer sealant, didn't know if there was any certain brand of ammo who did it better, never thought of nail polish however.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Primer sealant, intended mainly to keep gun oil or cleaning fluid (e.g. Hoppes) from ruining the primer, is nothing more than lacquer, which for practical purposes is the same as nail polish. Modern factory ammo is sealed at the primer, but, except for military contract, not sealed at the case mouth.

If desired, and for reloads, a drop of fingernail polish at the primer pocket and a swipe with the brush around the case mouth will seal the ammo with no problem.

Another suggestion, if a fast draw is not going to be needed, is to drop the loaded gun in a zip-lock bag. That will protect the gun and ammo and if necessary the gun can be fired through the bag. A revolver is better for that, though, as the bag may interfere with slide movement.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Pilot

I believe Sellier and Bellot, (S&B) ammo is waterproof, and has the red lacquer over the primers.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

S&B and some other makers use colored lacquer, but AFAIK all makers seal the primers. Milspec ammo uses colored sealant so inspectors will know the sealant had been applied; it is no better than clear sealant.

In some military ammuntion, colored primer sealant is used for identification, and the Japanese used colored case mouth sealant for that purpose; pink was for ball ammunition, for example.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #10
B. Lahey

Doesn't get much more waterproof than this:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...m-hollow-point

Quote:
50rds - 9mm SOC Speer LE Gold Dot 124gr. GDHP Ammo
[55036]$42.95

50rds - 9mm SOC Speer LE Gold Dot 124gr. GDHP Ammo
Click to enlarge*

IN STOCK!

This is 9mm SOC Speer Law Enforcement Gold Dot 124gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point Ammo. Speer Gold Dot SOC (Special Operations Cartridge) is also known as Gold Dot Dive Ammunition. This is a rare specialty round, get them while they last! This round is designed to operate in environments where other loads can never go. Dive deep in the water and up to 90 minutes. The bullet is a 124gr Gold Dot Hollow Point electrochemically bonded hollow point. The primer is a CCI #529. The proprietary primer sealer is fluorescent under ultraviolet light. Special mouth sealant to prevent water intrusion. Muzzle velocity of 1150fps from a standard 4” SAAMI barrel. 950 fps from an MP5SD. This is well below the speed of sound. Every round is inspected to ensure the quality standards of Law Enforcement customers. A special propellant powder is selected to minimize muzzle flash and residue. Passes waterproof test DOD-STD- 1468, pressurized for 30 min to 25 psi. Additional testing to double pressure, three times duration, 50 psi / 115 ft submersion for 90 min. This ammo comes packed in 50rd. boxes.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:26 PM   #11
EdInk

As mentioned before S&B is lacquered at the primer.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:31 PM   #12
9mm

Quote:
I picked up a LNIB Glock 19 with 3 mags for $200 recently
was it stolen? $200 you got to be kidding, used on gunbroker $800+++ The 3 magazines alone would sell for $200
Old February 6, 2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Babyfacenelson

As 9mm said above, where the hell did you get ANY glock and that many mags for 200$!?!?

As to your question, ammo is generally pretty water proof already, i dont know much on the subject.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
9mm

Why don't you get a little pocket 9mm or 380, keep it unloaded on a necklanyard than keep a gun underwater/rust/waterproof ammo????????
Old February 6, 2013, 10:45 PM   #15
TheGoldenState

Modern ammo will be fine as is.

Add nail polish around primer if you want extra protection…no need around the bullet, it's crimped in.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #16
Jim Watson

I had a good deal of ammo exposed to fire hose water and steam when my house burned.
None, nada, zero of the jacketed bullet ammo is good enough for even slow fire plinking. Specifically including S&B with red lacquer at primer and bullet.
A majority of the lead bullet reloads are usable for practice, some lots with an occasional misfire but many fewer than jacketed factory or reload, some lots with no misfires yet.

This indicates to me that the main entry for water was around the bullet and the oversize lubed or coated lead is a better seal than a smooth jacket, even with a dab of Czech red.

I have found a good deal of soggy powder when pulling down ammo to salvage bullets and brass. More dry, though; not all or even most were penetrated. I have shot some of the apparently dry powder and it shoots ok. I have air dried some primers to try.

I don't know how my experience applies to cold water immersion in a kayak, but I would be doing some testing of sealants.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:06 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
I had a good deal of ammo exposed to fire hose water and steam when my house burned.
Out of curiosity, was it in standard boxes or sealed in ammo crates?
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #18
w748

My "serious" 9mm ammo is Winchester Ranger, sealed fore and aft ,NATO cross; very fast and accurate.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:09 AM   #19
Jim Watson

Quote:
Out of curiosity, was it in standard boxes or sealed in ammo crates?
Everything from baggies to cardboard boxes to plastic boxes. Nothing in a GI can. Those were in the shop which did not burn.

Note: Aluminum Blazer which has been steamed can look all right but will often either misfire or split the aluminum case if it goes off.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Onward Allusion

Like others said - Sellier & Bellot has the red lacquer sealed primers, but it doesn't seal the bullet/case area.

You can hand seal this area with a coating of wax and polish 'em off to ensure proper feeding/function. Another option would be to use a zip lock bag like someone else had mentioned.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:36 AM   #21
HKFan9

No my Glock was not stolen lol... well not in the literal sense.

I work for a gun shop... we get people trading in guns... if I personally want one, the owner is cool with us buying it personally so as long as we don't do it TOO often.

Guy was trading the Glock in, only fired a box of ammo through it.. 3 mags... Blackhawk leather 3 slot holster. So I paid $200 and took it home with me.

I also bought a 5th AR-15 for $500 the other day, with two mags and a Bushnell Red-dot.

Those aren't even the best deals I'v gotten.... some people really dislike some fantastic guns, and we generally reap the benefits. You'd fall over if I said what I got a H&K P7 for before.

I am considering taking a few different batches of carry ammo I have.. coating some with extra nail polish.. and leaving some how the come from the factory, and soaking them in water over night and run them through the gun, see which works the best.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:54 AM   #22
DaleA

Quote:
I am considering taking a few different batches of carry ammo I have.. coating some with extra nail polish.. and leaving some how the come from the factory, and soaking them in water over night and run them through the gun, see which works the best.
Best idea yet. All our opinions won't come close to your real life experience.

And please don't tell us what you got your H&K P7 for. I've always had an itch for that curious squeeze cocker and your price would probably make me gnash my teeth.

Here's a youtube video of some lunkheads shooting underwater in a swimming pool. Most of their ammo seems to work and I doubt they took ANY precautions of any kind whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue69HqrLpDY
Old February 8, 2013, 12:22 PM   #23
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Here's a youtube video of some lunkheads shooting underwater in a swimming pool. Most of their ammo seems to work and I doubt they took ANY precautions of any kind whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue69HqrLpDY
I apologize for bending this thread a bit. But when I see idiots like in that video it makes me think "No wonder people want to outlaw guns". Imagine law makers and voters thinking those two are what your average gun owner is like.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq