The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
learningcurve

Scope question

I hope this is in the right area.

When i put my scope on its mounts. Everything mounts up fine no issues. However when i put the scope covers on they rub the barrel. Is this ok or do i need to get a slightly higher mount? I am wanting to put the flip up style on it. That is why i ask. If it was just for storage i wouldn't care. But i don't know if this will affect the scope or barrel harmonics.

Thanks for any info on it.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 17, 2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Creeper

Yep... you got it figured out. Permanent covers in a bind with the barrel could apply pressure to the scope and cause inconsistent barrel harmonics. Either cut the cover out at the bottom for clearance, or get a bit taller ring set or base.

C
Old October 17, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
coyota1

I would just cut the cover if you think you need these. I would say your mounts are perfect if you can get as close as it is. Modern scopes are waterproof anyway so why bother with them? I have used scopes in the rain and it's really no big deal.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:44 PM   #4
jmr40

Having the scope mounted low is more important to me than having scope covers that fit. If you can see daylight between the scope and barrel without the scope covers you will have no problems. You could spend money for taller mounts, but it may mess up your scope/eye alignment.

Use one of these

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...lePLA:13312550

They are cheaper than scope caps, work great, come off quickly, allow you to keep the scope low where it belongs and are easily replaced if you lose one.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
learningcurve

I was looking at those on fleabay. Have one for my eotech. Which i need to put back on it. I was thinking flip covers because the ones that slide on that came with my scope were broken which is why i got it so cheap. If it doesn't hold zero no biggie. It was a 80 dollar bushnell i got for 40 cuz i knew the manager and the covers. Plus someone had cut the package to show to someone who decided it wasn't for them. I am hoping to get a nicer one at the beggining of the year. I just got this one to play at the range with till then. But was mainly curious as to how it would affect the harmonics and all the good stuff so i knew when i upgrade. Thanks for confirming what i thought.

Old October 17, 2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Howard31

scope cover

I have a couple of brands of Flip ups and they don't want to stay closed. I like the bikini idea and think I'll try that
Old October 18, 2012, 08:29 AM   #7
hooligan1

Jimro said it right, the most important thing here is the fit between your eye and your cheek weld and how they work together, don't buy higher mounts JUST to get those scope covers to work because they're not near as important as your scope to eye fit.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:22 AM   #8
PetahW

Unless the rifle has bases integral with the receiver, it's no big deal to place equal-sized shims under both front/rear scope bases, just thick enough to raise the scope the 1/32" or less needed for the flip-up cover's base ring to slide between the scope & the barrel.

Installing a BCS (beer can shim) oughta do it.

Old October 18, 2012, 02:40 PM   #9
learningcurve

I will remember these things when it is time to upgrade. Thanks again.

Old October 18, 2012, 02:44 PM   #10
4runnerman

What JMR40 said.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:34 PM   #11
warbirdlover

http://scopeshieldalaska.com/index.html

Best there is.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
I am wanting to put the flip up style on it.
Just something more to have to futz with when you encounter a deer at short range, when time is short and opportunity fleeting......

When I leave the vehicle, the scope caps come off..... I usually hang tham on the rear view mirror.....
Old October 18, 2012, 05:57 PM   #13
coyota1

I had the flip up covers on a scope and I ended up removing them. I truly believe that those who have the best luck with them are the ones that make a profit on them. I don't believe in the plastic amber covers either. When you use them, the fine optics are reduced to the quality of the cheap plastic they are made from.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:12 PM   #14
lefteye

I used flip up covers once on a elk hunt. I was very close to two big bulls that were bedded. I was afraid to let the flip covers flip up because of the noise they make. While I tried to open both covers quietly, the elk detected our presence and silently disappeared in the timber. I got a small 5 X 5 during a windy, light snow storm without any scope caps. The guide kept asking if I wanted to stop hunting because of the weather. Definitely not after blowing a chance at a big bull because of those dxxx scope caps.

PS: I now keep a lens pen (or two) in my pocket when hunting with a scoped firearm.

Last edited by lefteye; October 21, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 18, 2012, 09:52 PM   #15
BIGR

Quote:
What JMR40 said.
I did the same thing on a muzzleloader one time. The bikini covers work great. Yes I am talking about the ones on the scope..
Old October 19, 2012, 07:56 AM   #16
hooligan1

I've used just about every kind of scope caps and bikini's and I like the Butler Creek flip up cap the best, they are never in the way, never a problem in case I jump a deer and need a quick shot, and they keep the rain off my lense.
So if I had the op's same situation I'd cut the material out of the way,(minimum) and slide the cap on.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've not used scope covers, these last fifty years. Never a problem.
Old October 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #18
learningcurve

I thought they were there mainly for protection against the elements and scratches, never thought about the niose they made, I like the idea of the see through style neoprene one though, however again it would impeade the quality of even a cheap scope I would think. I guess I will leave the protector ones that came with it on in the safe and take them off to go out. Thanks for the insight guys. Much appreciated.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:48 PM   #19
SteelChickenShooter

I like a front scope cover because I sit in the pines while snow and tree debris fall on the scope while propped up vertical against a tree. I have had the same scenerio and opted to trim away the bottom so it had clearance between the barrel when closing. I agree having a low mounted scope and trimming away cover material was the right way to go.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:12 AM   #20
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Nothing works very well as an after thought . One of the first questions I ask a scope mounting customer is , are you going to use flip up caps . It's a simple job to choose the right heighth rings . Different brands of rings have different heighths of rings , even if they are all called low or medium , or high , no two brands are alike . You can obtain just enough clearence for the caps , no more no less !
Old October 22, 2012, 08:07 AM   #21
learningcurve

Well last night I took the scope off and put 3 strips of electrical tape under it on the mounts to keep from any scratches getting there, from a recommendation I was given by a good friend, I have no intention of doing any moving of the scope but did it anyway. It raised the scope up enough that I can put the factory covers on it and they dont stick anymore. So for the time being I will use those to keep the scratches and such from happening. Then when I upgrade I will also know if this height works well for me without having to have bought new mounts. I was surprised how much clearance 3 thin strips of tape raised the scope and opened the clearance up. Hopefully someone else sees this thread and gets the great info I got out of it.

I have decided against the flip up style for some of the reasons you all have given, I may get the scope coat or something like that eventually. I do have one last question though.

I saw a device that goes over just the front lens and keeps the glare down and the claim is that it keeps the animals from seeing you easier and also does not interfere with the optic quality. Has anyone used this and know if it is true or not and if it is really needed? I appreciate it. I have not done any rifle hunting in the past so this is all new to me and I dont want to buy stuff just cause its there and claims great things. I know personal experiance is best but you all are very knowledgable and I appreciate any advice you give. Thanks again.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:26 PM   #22
dgludwig

I like the "flip-up" covers but I usually don't hunt with them in the closed position. Also, if the covers are closed (due to inclement weather conditions or whatever) and a shot presents itself when the little noise created in opening them might have big (negative) consequences in terms of alarming the game, your "second" hand can be employed to help muffle the unwanted sound by retarding the opening action of the spring-loaded covers. I do agree with those who argue that you should never compromise the "stock-weld" afforded by properly low mounted rings/bases just in order to accomodate scope lens covers.