The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 16, 2020, 02:53 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Carry at the bar?

.... if you are going to drink, that is.

Of course that it is ILLEGAL to carry while impaired.

BUT if you are going to go out with your buddies, and you are the designated driver and truly limit yourself to ONE BEER, then carry or not?
Old January 16, 2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Pahoo

Desinated drivers, should never be impaired.

Quote:
BUT if you are going to go out with your buddies, and you are the designated driver and truly limit yourself to ONE BEER, then carry or not?
Now then, if you have a designated driver then you stay within the legal limit for driving, otherwise you really have a designated driver, in name only. Each state sets these published limits and you don't exceed them. ….

I have a high school buddy that is an alcoholic and was really troubled by the possibility of violating the law. …. Go figure ??? ….

Be Lawful and ;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 16, 2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, first... state laws vary a lot on this subject and that has a big impact on the practical result. For example, under Texas law, intoxicated means “not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.“

Arguably, the “0.08 or more” only applies to driving a motor vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft, and only the first definition applies to carrying a weapon. I’ve watched stone cold sober people show enough clues to “fail” the heel-toe test and one leg lift test. The horizontal gaze nystagmus test is more reliable but harder to argue against. So essentially, whether you get charged depends a lot on the officer and their biases. That’s a big dice roll.

And that’s assuming you can even legally carry a gun into the bar to begin with. In many locales, you can be hosed just by being in a bar (as defined by your state law) with a gun, even if 100% sober.

Now let’s look at the practical side... alcohol will both slow your ability to respond to threats and complicate your legal defense immensely. If you stop Osama Bin Laden’s clone from reenacting 9/11, you’ll probably slide on one beer. If you shoot a neighborhood guy who was unarmed but trying to merrily cave your head in at a bar after one beer, you’ll likely lose your job, spouse, house, and car - and that’s before you even find out if you are guilty.
Old January 16, 2020, 05:53 PM   #4
olddav

Don’t cloud the issue by having alcohol on your breath. If your carrying don’t drink, (this is coming from someone who doesn’t drink at all).
Old January 16, 2020, 06:13 PM   #5
FireForged

I don't carry guns to bars.. its that simple.
Old January 16, 2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Ben Dover

I was taught from early childhood that alcohol does not mix well with gasoline or gunpowder.

I still think that's good advice.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old January 16, 2020, 07:05 PM   #7
FITASC

Here in Florida, one cannot carry in a bar or bar area of a restaurant - so carrying as the DD would mean leaving it in the car until done. it is also not illegal to have a drink, but as mentioned, if caught and over the limit, you've opened up a whole 'nother can of worms.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 16, 2020, 07:12 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Honestly, I don’t see why it is OK to chug two beers as a grown man and then get behind the wheel of a 6,000lb vehicle that can hit 60mph faster than a 1969 SS Camaro; but you can’t do the same and carry a gun.

Because we don’t trust our fellow citizens to use good judgment, we substitute bright line tests that are easy to see if someone passed or failed; but aren’t the best in determining whether someone was impaired.

I’ll tell you right now as a lawyer (but not your lawyer), if you have to shoot someone, the tolerance for alcohol is universally 0.0% across even the most conservative parts of Texas. You might get off if you aren’t 0.0% depending on the circumstances; but it is a BIG complication and it is going to cost you enough money to keep you at 0.08% for the rest of your natural life.
Old January 16, 2020, 07:19 PM   #9
HiBC

In my state (Colorado) according to what I was taught in my concealed carry class: You technically can carry in a bar. You technically could even consume alcohol; up to the BAC of being "impaired" (Is .04 or .05,I'm not sure which)

Maybe you can get away with one beer. Maybe.

However,the class advised that the officer's discretion was sufficient cause. You don't have to blow a .06 for the officer to take your gun and permit.

You don't want to be in the position (after one beer) of being asked by the Officer "Have you had anything to drink?" Maybe you only had one beer,but that officer has heard that before.

And you don't want to lie.

Its best to be able to truthfully say " I have not had any alcohol" Maybe go for tonic with lime.

Many bars have a "Designated Driver" perk. Tell them you are a DD and they likely don't charge for non-alcoholic drinks. A bonus is you have made a face to face connection with the bartender. Stick to the program,and tip for the service.
You then have a bartender who likely will tell the officer you have had nothing to drink .

IMO,weigh how important that one beer is. Best to be able to truthfully tell the LEO " I don't drink when I pack"

If you are going to have a beer....have two! But don't pack.

You just make the choice. Then you can relax .
Old January 16, 2020, 07:27 PM   #10
Pahoo

Know you state's law !!!

In Iowa, you are allowed to carry into a bar and or restaurant. The legal limit is the same as for driving. If you get busted for being over the legal limit, your permit is automatically invalid. Most bars are not posted and those that are, are pretty much not enforceable. So, if I am a designated driver, stay below the limit, I can carry in a bar....

I do not have the figures for my county but a number of permits have been revoked for various reasons and being intoxicated is the most common. ..

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 16, 2020, 07:42 PM   #11
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
In my state (Colorado) according to what I was taught in my concealed carry class: You technically can carry in a bar. You technically could even consume alcohol; up to the BAC of being "impaired" (Is .04 or .05,I'm not sure which)
Yeah, Colorado is where I am from too, that's why I posted the question.

I am a very very light occasional drinker, but I asked the question out of curiosity.

I think if I am going out to dinner with the wife and I have ONE glass of wine (which is all I drink with her and at a restaurant) then I'd carry.

If I am going to the bars with my buddies, even if I don't drink much, I would not carry.

Last edited by Pistoler0; January 16, 2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old January 16, 2020, 08:04 PM   #12
HiBC

Once upon a time I decided to find out what my new 200 lumen tacflashlight would do if I shined it in my eyes. It pretty much blinded me for some seconds,but I had large balls of non=functional vision for 15 minutes or so.

There are 350 and 500 lumen tac flashlights available for under $100.

It might not work every time,but "shining" a belligerent might give a few seconds to disengage and leave.
A guy who can't see is at a disadvantage.

I don't think there is a problem with drinking beer and packing a light.
Old January 16, 2020, 08:18 PM   #13
Pistoler0

Yeah, I like your idea, I got a Klarus which I only use to shine at raccoons but I think I'm going to start carrying it, it is the perfect size.
Old January 16, 2020, 08:27 PM   #14
2wheelwander

I am fully with Bartholomew. As former LE and seeing what goes on with prosecutors, defense attorneys, reports, public opinion, et al - Having even one beer and being involved in a shooting is very bad news. Public tolerance is zero.

You may be 300 lbs and have a single O'Douls. When local news plasters the CC video of you bellying up to the bar 20 minutes before being involved in a a shoot out, well, I wish you luck and another comma in your bank account. Yer gonna need it.

If I am carrying, I do not drink. If I plan on drinking, I do not carry. I no longer frequent bars or other establishments where others enjoy getting lit and making idiots of themselves. I have enough problems going into these places sober and dealing with jack asses.

Just don't go into a bar with a gun. Prosecutor will get reelected for sure off your case.
Old January 16, 2020, 09:28 PM   #15
rodfac

Not in Kentucky...Carry at the bar? One cannot carry in a bar or bar area of a restaurant ....
Quote:
if you are going to drink, that is. Of course that it is ILLEGAL to carry while impaired. BUT if you are going to go out with your buddies, and you are the designated driver and truly limit yourself to ONE BEER, then carry or not?
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 16, 2020, 09:41 PM   #16
Mike38

In Illinois you can not carry in any place where 50% or more of the sales revenue comes from the sales of alcohol. Even if you're going in for a ham sandwich and a glass of water. How you are supposed to know this is beyond me.
Old January 16, 2020, 09:44 PM   #17
Mainah

Quote:
I would not. I've been in that situation and ended up with my buddies creating problems that a gun would only complicate. Even if you're not drinking a night out with the boys is best done unarmed.
Old January 17, 2020, 01:03 AM   #18
Koda94

In my state we don't have any laws prohibiting carrying in bars or even carrying while intoxicated... and its never been a problem. The laws on this vary across the board in all states but in all states they allow anyone to drink a beer and drive home as long as they are under .08. Laws against carrying in bars is just another anti-gun law gun free zone... and we've seen how thats worked out in recent times. Drink responsibly, but I will never support a GFZ or a law the strips me of my right even when being a responsible designated driver to socialize with my friends.
Old January 17, 2020, 05:00 AM   #19
armoredman

In AZ, IF the place serving open alcohol doesn't have a sign posted by the liquor license, a CCW permit holder may carry into the place concealed and not consume any alcohol. I have seen enough idiots in bars that I do believe this to be a good idea. Won't stop the criminals, but it will slow down the people who are normal when sober, morons when drunk. "I'm only going to have one or two..." Five hours later dancing topless on the table...NOT currently equipped to make good choices.
Old January 17, 2020, 05:29 AM   #20
OhioGuy

"I'll just have this one little drink...."

Said so many times by well-meaning people who later injure or kill themselves or others while driving home. Alcohol impairs our response times and ability to think clearly long before we feel woozy or "tipsy."

As others have mentioned, even if it doesn't, the public perception will bury you. Plus, given how much drinking is going on around you, I suppose there's at least a marginally higher chance that someone will get obnoxious or out of hand.

I see most things as trade-offs. We carry to offset the risk of being attacked with life-threatening force, which is an extremely small risk for most of us. And so it doesn't take too much before carrying the gun can become a greater risk than the thing we're trying to protect against. I think drinking alcohol tips it in that direction, to where the risk of something going wrong (even if that's only being pulled over later for speeding, being flagged for having that one drink, and HE'S ARMED???? Goodbye CCW) becomes greater than the risk of being attacked.

If you're the designated driver, I think you should also be the designated defender. Otherwise, leave the gun (and car) at home and be a designated drinker
Old January 17, 2020, 07:56 AM   #21
USNRet93

I yak with a Boulder LEO Sergeant all the time, I'll ask him..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 17, 2020, 10:52 AM   #22
aarondhgraham

Why the one drink?

I work with and hang out with young college students,,,
On several occasions I have been the Designated Driver for 21st birthdays.

You stated/asked: ...and you are the designated driver and truly limit yourself to ONE BEER, then carry or not?

My question to you would be,,,
If you are the designated driver (sober person),,,
Why would you even want to have that one drink?

It's easy to look a cop in the eye and truthfully say,,,
"Not one drop of alcohol in me officer."

What may not be so easy is to convince him that you "only had one drink".

My point is this,,,
If you are going to be the sober one, then truly be 100% sober.

Aarond

P.S. Oh, I have always carried when I was the DD.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 17, 2020, 11:16 AM   #23
USNRet93

Quote:
Yeah, Colorado is where I am from too, that's why I posted the question.
I am a very very light occasional drinker, but I asked the question out of curiosity.
I think if I am going out to dinner with the wife and I have ONE glass of wine (which is all I drink with her and at a restaurant) then I'd carry.

If I am going to the bars with my buddies, even if I don't drink much, I would not carry.
Since from CO, the response from my buddy, who's a Boulder Sergeant..
Quote:
Well, CO law says ‘under the influence’ and uses/possesses a firearm is illegal. Not meaning to cause any harm is not a defense.

There have been situations in Boulder where there was evidence to support a person was under the influence, hence their abilities were affected by alcohol. Some are charged, even if they were the victim.

Personally, if I’m thinking I may have a beer, the gun is moved from my possession.

Sometimes there’s more than your right to carry at stake.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 17, 2020, 11:17 AM   #24
FITASC

Quote:
In Illinois you can not carry in any place where 50% or more of the sales revenue comes from the sales of alcohol. Even if you're going in for a ham sandwich and a glass of water. How you are supposed to know this is beyond me.
Because most of those places simply say "BAR" on the outside...........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 17, 2020, 11:17 AM   #25
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I see most things as trade-offs. We carry to offset the risk of being attacked with life-threatening force, which is an extremely small risk for most of us. And so it doesn't take too much before carrying the gun can become a greater risk than the thing we're trying to protect against.

Otherwise, leave the gun (and car) at home and be a designated drinker
Yes, everything in life is a trade off, you must be an economist!

I like your idea of being the designated drinker! : )
Closed Thread