The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 9, 2018, 03:46 PM   #1
DaleA

The Problem with Gun Free Zones? They're not big enough!!!

You can't make this stuff up.
I guess the problem with 'gun free' zones is they don't extend far enough away from the schools.

I'm in the Twin Cities, MN and was embarrassed to learn that the St. Paul school board is entertaining the following resolution.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the St. Paul school board is preparing to vote March 20 on a resolution calling for stricter limits on gun access and greater investment in school safety.

A draft of the resolution states “many of these lives could be saved with common-sense laws that prevent gun violence — without taking away the Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners.”

The resolution calls for: wider gun-free zones around schools; keeping guns away from people who “post a threat to themselves or others”; tougher background checks; money for school safety planning, school climate initiatives and school building improvements; money for school counselors, psychologists and social workers; and better data collection on gun violence.
IMhO extending the 'gun free' zone is NOT 'common sense' gun restrictions.

According to the article they are opposed to arming teachers but do not want to ban any type of guns.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/0...n-gun-control/
Old March 9, 2018, 05:06 PM   #2
RETG

GFSZ was a Federal thing, and unless MN has different laws than any state I have ever lived in, I cannot see how the school board can expand a GFSZ. So it appears just a pile of libs blowing smoke.
Old March 9, 2018, 06:58 PM   #3
spacemanspiff

Because lunatics always consider what (if any) laws exist before planning their next act of violence!

You know what though, they might be right. You all have school zones that are labeled 'drug-free', right? Or is that something only my municipality has done? Because if you make a school zone 'drug-free' that means there is no more drugs to entice the youth with. Maybe they should just make the entire city a 'drug-free' zone. Why hasnt anyone thought about that?
Old March 9, 2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
A draft of the resolution states “many of these lives could be saved with common-sense laws that prevent gun violence — without taking away the Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners.”
That part's easy -- just pass a law outlawing gun violence. That ought'a do 'er.

Quote:
The resolution calls for: wider gun-free zones around schools; keeping guns away from people who “post a threat to themselves or others”; tougher background checks; money for school safety planning, school climate initiatives and school building improvements; money for school counselors, psychologists and social workers; and better data collection on gun violence.
Question: What do "climate initiatives" have to do with preventing school shootings, or school safety and security?

Parsing the data ... it's all about the money. "Just give us more money, and we'll make it okay. Honest, we will. We promise."
Old March 9, 2018, 08:40 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

At some point in time someone decided schools held some responsibility for students coming and going from school. This allowed some ability for school boards to create policies affecting students and parents off campus. The case which brought my attention to this was when a student went hunting in the morning, knew he couldn't take his car to school with a shotgun in the trunk, parked off campus and was still expelled when the school found out.
Old March 9, 2018, 09:02 PM   #6
RETG

Schools have expelled kids for eating a pop tart into the shape of a gun; however a school board cannot extend a GFSZ.
Old March 10, 2018, 12:46 AM   #7
KBP

More and more gun laws!

If the answer is to pass more and more gun laws, I have the solution! You only have to pass one more law. THOU SHALT NOT KILL! If they don't follow this law, the rest are useless! I remember when we taught gun safety in school, students brought their rifles to school and left them in the shop area till after school to go hunting. Students on the rifle team went out after school to target practice and students made hunting knives in metal shop. many of us teachers had revolvers and hunting rifles in our trucks for hunting or available for protection. School shootings were almost unheard of! This was before some idiots passed the "GUN FREE ZONE" law disarming our teachers and making schools soft targets. I bet they don't have a clue to what they did! Try this in Washington DC and disarm EVERYBODY(police and Secret Service) and post signs saying that! What do you think will happen?
Old March 10, 2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Government entities, school boards, etc. need to make it look like they are doing something to fight the problem. Passing new rules or laws is one way to make that appear to happen. In some cases, it does work when the issues are changing normally legal, but potentially very dangerous operations into highly regulated operations where the parties involve will abide by the law. For example, not letting trains carry certain items in certain areas, not letting semis carry explosives through major metropolitan areas, etc.

It doesn't work for illegal actions. Expanding GFZs in response to Parkland are laws that would not have precluded what happened at Parkland, but by golly they want to look like they are being pro-active.

Of course, expanding GFZs is cheaper than actually higher more police officers to protect our schools or paying for staff to get proper training. So they win in two ways, looking proactive and not spending money. The only losers are the people in the schools.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:03 PM   #9
5whiskey

Quote:
GFSZ was a Federal thing, and unless MN has different laws than any state I have ever lived in, I cannot see how the school board can expand a GFSZ.
It is not a federal thing. It is state by state. There may be federal money contingent on states declaring schools gun free zones, just like there is for states at have a BAC limit of .08 or less. But it is not federal law. CCH holders can carry a gun on campus in my state as long as they do not leave their car. If you have to go in, take it off and lock it in the car. If youre just in carpool, keep it on.

Also Utah allows teachers to CCH in school.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 11, 2018, 10:11 PM   #10
Danoobie

Is there any money in the budget left to give the school board members a CAT SCAN?
People ARE DYING, in Gun Free Zones, BECAUSE they're Gun Free Zones, and they want to make them BIGGER? HOW do they put out a fire, pour gasoline all over it?
Old March 11, 2018, 10:30 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

I know, let's just make the U.S. a "Crime Free Zone"--that'll solve the problem.