The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2020, 03:28 PM   #26
fastbolt

I grew to really like the 99AS after taking my first SW99/P99 armorer class, and it only continued to grow on me as I updated my armorer classes on the original 99 series. I carried an issued SW9940 for a few years and bought a couple of the models in 9 & .40. I didn't care for the QA, myself (what S&W marketed as their 990L, but without the field-stripping button of Walther's QA model), as the trigger pull was a bit heavier (8.54lbs). That was the same trigger pull weight as the 990/99DAO, but about 6mm shorter than the DAO's 14mm/.55" trigger travel.

Then again, I became quite accustomed to the TDA (Traditional Double Action, also called DA/SA) guns for working roles, having carried S&W 3rd gens for many years at work and off-duty.

I was always first and foremost a 1911 shooter, but found the TDA guns good for working/carry roles ... and grudgingly acclimated to the growing striker-fired trend as plastic pistols increased their market share. TDA is still something I find very comfortable, controllable and easy to use, though.

Walther has always had a very good product and under-appreciated product in the 99 series, but my personal preference will always be for the original Anti-Stress model, which can be used in TDA.

From an armorer's perspective, the PPQ is arguably a simpler action, since it doesn't involve having to balance the DA and SA modes (which may involve changing the trigger bar guide post or adjusting the trigger guide lever, depending on the vintage of the gun). The PPQ only has to deal with a single action setup. I won't be surprised if the PPQ establishes a strong presence in the gaming field.

Yes, the SA trigger pull of the Anti-Stress action is just a bit lighter in trigger pull than the standard PPQ's Quick Defense Trigger, being 4.5lbs versus 5.6lbs. However, the trigger travel distances are measured a bit differently between the 2 actions and are 1mm different.

Last edited by fastbolt; February 1, 2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old February 1, 2020, 04:16 PM   #27
chemcal

Nice info.
Old February 1, 2020, 04:44 PM   #28
fastbolt

My info is dated, though, as I haven't updated my training since S&W stopped servicing their SW99/990L series models, and I think my last Walther armorer manuals were received back about 2010 or 2011. Things like specifications, materials and manufacturing methods can change pretty rapidly, which is why most major gun companies to create armorer training programs like armorers to recertify every 3 or 4 years (varies).

Fortunately, I just have to keep my hand in the 99 series enough to inspect, service and repair my own older model 99's, and those of a close friend (another retired peace officer and former firearms instructor). I was able to order and put back enough parts to keep our guns running for hopefully the rest of our lives. That's no small task with him, as he shoots a couple of his (9/.40's) all the time on his own private rural range.

Last time I asked him about an approximate round count, while I was inspecting his 99's a couple of years ago, he told me that he'd probably fired another 15-20K rounds since my last inspection ... and back at that time he said he'd fired more than 65K through each of his full-size SW99's. It was during that visit (bringing me several of his guns to inspect) that I'd initially thought he was screwing around me.

I usually suggest he clean his guns more frequently, as he typically brings them to me fouled from shooting them. (He usually says, "Hey, you're only to clean them anyway, right?") Anyway, that time, when I field-stripped his SW9940, I found it literally filled with oily and fouled sawdust, and not all little bits, but also including some sizeable damned chunks.

When I looked at him, he just shrugged and explained that he'd spent the last few days doing a lot of fence repair, using a chainsaw, and he'd not had time to clean the weapon. When my expression didn't change, he added that it wasn't a big deal, because he'd fired it on his range during and after the chain saw work, including right before he'd brought over to me, and it had functioned just fine. He didn't see the big deal. Well, hell, he did spend his formative young adult years on a couple of tours in SE Asia, after all, and has always had a different perspective regarding weapon cleanliness.

I gave him some more RSA's and told him to at least replace the springs a little more often ... and please keep the damned sawdust out of his weapons. Like that will do any good. It's almost always an adventure when he brings me his revolvers, 1911's and other pistols to me to inspect them.
Old February 4, 2020, 08:34 PM   #29
litework

Yes and yes. PPQ M2 in a Vedder Lighttuck. Very comfortable with it. I typically remove the holstered gun from my carry position.
Old February 21, 2020, 10:30 AM   #30
chemcal

Sometimes I notice some grittiness in my 99AS trigger; is there a known cause and solution to this?
Old February 21, 2020, 11:05 AM   #31
URIT

I had a tungsten grey PPQ until my daughter met me at the range and fell in love with it, "Oh daddy, this would make a great early birthday present". It did.

The PPQ has a great trigger and is a fine range gun but I preferred my PPS for carrying. The PPQ was okay for carrying when I had to wear multi-layers to stay warm but was hard to hide under a t-shirt.

The PPQ, like any handgun, needs to have the trigger guarded against unwanted activation from either foreign materials or the old booger picker when drawing and holstering.

Go for it if your build and fashion sense permit carrying a PPQ without drawing unwanted attention. It is a fine gun.
Old February 22, 2020, 12:52 AM   #32
Ignition Override

doofus47:
As for the P99 AS, its a shame that HK couldn't design/manufacture such a nice DA trigger in their P 30. Never mind a lighter pull in their USPs.

This DA on the P99 has better "stacking" than my CZ PCR and Sig P228.
The more I shoot this P99, the more I Really like it.

And I mean using > only < DA for about half of my shots.

Do you guys notice how many people (--seasoned handgun shooters--) try out a gun which they are told is DA/SA...but Only shoot with the hammer (or striker) already cocked?

This always leaves me curious why they are only comfortable using SA----

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 22, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old February 22, 2020, 09:17 AM   #33
chemcal

The gun smith I go to is a bulls eye shooter(1911 platform). He thinks the sig p series has horrible triggers. I let him try my P99 AS; he was not at all impressed; he'd rather use a striker and does for CC. It's a Glock 22. There are times when I wish I could feel comfortable with a Glock type firearm as they are easy to shoot accurately.
Old February 24, 2020, 12:22 PM   #34
Fishbed77

Quote:
Sometimes I notice some grittiness in my 99AS trigger; is there a known cause and solution to this?
How many rounds do you have through it? P99AS triggers are often a bit gritty when new, but break in to become remarkably smooth.

Quote:
The gun smith I go to is a bulls eye shooter(1911 platform). He thinks the sig p series has horrible triggers. I let him try my P99 AS; he was not at all impressed; he'd rather use a striker and does for CC. It's a Glock 22. There are times when I wish I could feel comfortable with a Glock type firearm as they are easy to shoot accurately.
That shows just how subjective trigger feel is. I own a few German-made SIGs (P226s and a P228) and they all have decent triggers. The double-action triggers are heavy, but that's the way they were designed.

The P99AS (which is striker-fired) does have a better trigger than the SIGs in my opinion. Lighter, crisper, and smoother.

It feels substantially better than a Glock trigger to me, but guess what? I tend to shoot Glocks as well or better than the SIGs or the P99AS. So that goes to show that there is a lot more to shooting well than just trigger feel.

Last edited by Fishbed77; February 24, 2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old February 24, 2020, 02:06 PM   #35
Louca

Quote:
I understand "finger off trigger" for safety, but are you comfortable with this trigger platform for a CCW?
I really, really liked shooting the PPQ and even carried it for a while. But all the time, I really wanted something similar in DA/SA.

Quote:
If you feel more comfortable with DA/SA get a P99.
Yep, so that's what I did. I now have both, and still really, really like the PPQ, but always carry the P99 AS instead.

I started liking the DA/SA shooting when I got my HK 45C. I was finding that my first (DA) shot landed pretty much where I wanted it, and was usually no more accurate than my follow-up SA shot.

If I have to sell one of them someday, with a depressed look on my face I will probably let the PPQ go.
Old February 24, 2020, 03:18 PM   #36
chemcal

Yea, same here; however, some strikers I shoot tighter though I would not carry them.
Old February 24, 2020, 10:03 PM   #37
chemcal

This weapon is superior than any other in its class!! You won't be disappointed

I'm very pleased when shooting the PPQ. It's the idea of carrying it that concerns me.
Old February 25, 2020, 12:23 PM   #38
wild cat mccane

It would be nice to hear if someone ends up putting the Walther heavy spring into their PPQ and compares it to the stock spring...
Old March 5, 2020, 11:57 AM   #39
chemcal

just watched a disturbing video about the PPQ not passing an 18" drop test.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....or-a-CCW/page2

The is being discussed on the walther forum; comments please.
Old March 5, 2020, 12:07 PM   #40
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
just watched a disturbing video about the PPQ not passing an 18" drop test.

The is being discussed on the walther forum; comments please.

When I click the link it says not found.

What you say wouldn’t make sense unless the pistol was modified. The inertial safety in the trigger should prevent what you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 5, 2020, 03:33 PM   #41
chemcal

this seem to work
Old March 5, 2020, 04:01 PM   #42
TunnelRat

Do you carry a PPQ?

Thank you that one does work.

I always get a little concerned when people post videos on YouTube and turn off comments. It always strikes me as controlling the message and preventing questions (or suppressing people pointing out your mistakes). That said, in watching the video the assumption seems to be that the striker is releasing fully after the impacts, that’s why the subsequent trigger presses have no resistance.

However, I think the poster is missing something. There is also a striker block that will stop the striker from going forward and hitting the primer directly. The striker may be “released” at that point and the trigger essentially dead, but that’s not necessarily the same as detonating a primer. You could test for primer detonation with cases that have primers only or by using snap caps with tape on the back to check for a primer strike. Without the test for primer detonation the video alone wouldn’t really concern me.

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 5, 2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old March 5, 2020, 04:13 PM   #43
chemcal

So, could it be said the dead trigger result(safety)is a compromise for having such a "good" or light trigger?
Old March 5, 2020, 05:39 PM   #44
TunnelRat

Do you carry a PPQ?

What you’re seeing in the video isn’t really to do with the weight of the trigger press. It’s a function of the design and the fact that a blow to the rear of the firearm can cause the striker to slip off the catch (apologies for the incorrect term). The fact that the striker block is there to prevent such a thing from detonating a primer isn’t some happy accident. It’s by design. Hammer fired pistols also have firing pin blocks to prevent a blow to the rear of the slide, or perhaps the hammer slipping off the sear and falling forward, from detonating a primer. The same logic applies.

Only a design capable of cocking itself again wouldn’t have a dead trigger (what I call a true double action pistol). Many striker fired pistols and single action pistols would have the same dead trigger. It’s basically the same result as if you had a hard primer or light primer strike. You, tap, rack, and reasses (potentially bang if the tactical situation is unchanged). That failure drill exists for a reason. It’s worth noting that a P99 wouldn’t, as far as I can tell, have the same dead trigger and it still has a good trigger pull assuming the DA doesn’t bother you.

I mean no offense by this, but if this pistol is causing you this level of consternation, why not carry something else? The market is full of pistols that are different.

Old March 5, 2020, 07:24 PM   #45
chemcal

The above sounds good.
Old March 6, 2020, 12:57 AM   #46
Ignition Override

https://youtu.be/DciqKh59DH8 by "Sootch".

Walther P99 AS vs. PPQ.
* At 5:23 he decocks the P99's SA trigger into Double Action.

To repeat from my previous comments, I certainly find the trigger's DA 'stacking' better than with any stock HK USP or P30.
The P99 AS' DA pull has a very smooth, almost "linear" increase in tension (stacking), and prefer it just a little bit more than with my "true Sig 225" ('87) or Sig P228 ('94), possibly prefer it even a bit more than with my stock CZ PCR/75D.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 8, 2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old March 6, 2020, 07:53 AM   #47
chemcal

Thank you for the video. Great morning watch. He definitely shows the P99 with a higher margin of safety, but chooses the PPQ. Having a P99, I would also like to acquire a PPQ, but don't know if I would carry it.

As for stacking, my p229 has none(per Sig Armorer); this leaves me aware of the stacking in the p99 which is easy to get over. The P2000 LEM is completely consistant.

Last edited by chemcal; March 6, 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old March 6, 2020, 08:17 AM   #48
chemcal

the urinate is I've shot the tightest groups with an infrequently "borrowed" PPQ.
Old March 6, 2020, 08:22 AM   #49
wild cat mccane

Tunnelrat nailed it.

The glock dingus and P99 back of the trigger are both trigger stops (not safeties). They stop the trigger from moving with moves the firing pin block. Always remember when someone calls the dingus a safety. It's not a finger safety. It's a firing pin block safety for dropping the gun.

The P320 was recalled and the TRIGGER was changed. Why? The drop released the striker, but the drop also was moving the trigger. Boom. Fired round.
Old March 6, 2020, 08:28 AM   #50
wild cat mccane

The P99 is revolutionary in it's trigger is the dingus. The back of the trigger acts as the dingus when the trigger pulled. No dingus needed.

I know a lot about the P99/PPQ series. What I don't know is why the P99RAD/PPQ has the dingus. Walther had the P99AS, QA, and DA with the built in trigger block moving part on the back the trigger.

Why the PPQ went with a dingus when the P99 trigger doesn't need it because it's designed on the back of the trigger??? I really wonder if they were trying to make people think Glock when seeing it. But again, doesn't make sense. The PPQ is a single action 100% sprung striker. Glocks are not SA with 68% sprung.