The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2020, 03:52 AM   #1
trapper.44shooter

I am Gonna Buy Me a New Cap & Ball Revolver

I have chosen the Pietta 1858 Buffalo/Bison Brass Frame 12" Octagon barrel I have been watching every video that is posted on YouTube I want to know what you fellas think of the Pietts the model # is RGC44 Let me know
Old January 21, 2020, 08:07 AM   #2
noelf2

It's a good gun. I had one several years ago. Keep loads under 25 grains of powder, being a brass frame. I had a shoulder stock on mine. I sold it after I bought a cap and ball carbine.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Perldog007

Yes

I love the pattern, have had two in .44 army and I have the .31 pocket.
Loaded mild at 23 grains or so with the 12" bbl the numbers make it like a sweet .38 special that makes a bigger hole.
In my 8" bbl 1858 with a .154 round ball that seated well and filler it was boringly accurate and definitely did enough damage to the backstop for small game. 35 grains in a steel frame with the right bullet is serious medicine, and 40 grains with round ball is quite interesting.
The mild loads with the long barrel are really fun to shoot, Keep your support hand behind the cylinder face under your trigger hand. Nasty burn if you forget.
Should be fun. I was going to get one but Dixie put at an 1851 steel frame on sale and our Cabelas had scratch and dent on Colt and Remington Army models.
I might save up and get a steel frame one from Old South, but I would jump on one at a good price.