The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2020, 11:59 AM   #1
mrtimm

870 Police Cycling Issue with Sporter Barrel

Here's a problem I've not seen before.

I have two used police 870s. One a magnum, the other standard.

They both have 20" barrels and both work great with either barrel.

One has a flex tab, one doesn't.

I bought a new Remington barrel for Trap,skeet, birds. I think it's a 26" (I don't have it in front of me.)

If I install this barrel on either gun, I get the exact same problem.

It becomes very difficult to rack the gun. It sticks coming back and going forward. It's sticky enough that something is clearly wrong.

Both guns have synthetic stocks. As far as I can tell one is a speed stock, the other is unmarked.

I noticed a very slight rub mark on the front of the foreend where the barrel touches. I filed that down. It helped a tiny bit, but there's no more rubbing, so that's not it. There is now the slightest wear mark on the left side of the barrel near the receiver. I understand that's normal for lefties like me. I filed down the spot on the foreend that might be causing it. That had no effect.

Both guns are super clean, well-lubed, etc. I don't see anything twisted/bent whatever.

Again, either gun will work with either apparently factory police barrels, but neither works with the new barrel.

This happens when the guns are loaded with any kind of ammo, unloaded or with dummy shells.

Other than replacing the foreend(s) I think I've controlled for all variables.

I suppose the next step is to replace the foreends, which I want to do on one gun to convert it to sporting use.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old January 19, 2020, 02:29 PM   #2
Pahoo

Common problem.

My "safe" SWAG on this is that there is a problem with the new barrel and very common. Do a historical search in this forum and you will find a number of posts/replies that address this problem. I have fixed two of these problems bt you really need to get in here and look for the solutions. ……..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 22, 2020, 02:15 AM   #3
joneb

This is just a thought but what if a O ring or washer was added when installing the barrel? I'm just curious if this would change things. Not a solution but perhaps a diagnostic aid.
Old January 22, 2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Pahoo

Where is the "O" Ring

Quote:
This is just a thought but what if a O ring or washer was added when installing the barrel? I'm just curious if this would change things.
I'm not aware of any "O"-Ring that might come into play, on the 870. Can you be more specific on where this "O"-Ring might be located? You may be referring to the semi-autos. Like 1187 and 1100. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old January 23, 2020, 01:26 PM   #5
bamaranger

barrel

Thinking that the problem has top be the new barrel. Either bent or out of line from the attachment lug (?) back to the breech somehow. I could also be bulged by some type of obstruction shot out of it. I'd borrow another barrel, or swing by a shop your on good terms with, and swap a few barrels on and off to see if the guns function correctly with another tube.

Is the longer barrel indeed "new"? There's been a lot of talk about Remington's quality slipping in recent years. I could see how the lug gets welded on off square somehow and whopper jaws things. It's a little more difficult to understand how a barrel could get bent in the rear portion above the mag tube, but stuff happens.

Only other thing I can think of is that there were lightweight barrels that may or may not interchange on a std receiver, but I am not certain about that at all.
Old January 23, 2020, 01:35 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

It a Remington brand barrel? It's definitely the barrel and not the receivers though.
"...a very slight rub mark..." That says something is in the way of the barrel seating on the receiver correctly.
"...not aware of any "O"-Ring..." Right you are. No such thing on an 870.
Unless the thing is damaged or has been "customized", there's nothing special about a "police" 870 either.
Old January 23, 2020, 07:57 PM   #7
mrtimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
It a Remington brand barrel? It's definitely the barrel and not the receivers though.
"...a very slight rub mark..." That says something is in the way of the barrel seating on the receiver correctly.
"...not aware of any "O"-Ring..." Right you are. No such thing on an 870.
Unless the thing is damaged or has been "customized", there's nothing special about a "police" 870 either.
Thanks for the reply.

It's a brand new Remington barrel I got at Cabella's. It's never been opened.

The very slight wear mark is about 3" in front of the receiver, so it's certainly the forend rubbing on it somehow.

There doesn't seem to be any wear on the barrel on any part that touches the receiver. It's got to be either the forend or the barrel where it meets the forend.
Old January 23, 2020, 08:01 PM   #8
mrtimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Thinking that the problem has top be the new barrel. Either bent or out of line from the attachment lug (?) back to the breech somehow. I could also be bulged by some type of obstruction shot out of it. I'd borrow another barrel, or swing by a shop your on good terms with, and swap a few barrels on and off to see if the guns function correctly with another tube.

Is the longer barrel indeed "new"? There's been a lot of talk about Remington's quality slipping in recent years. I could see how the lug gets welded on off square somehow and whopper jaws things. It's a little more difficult to understand how a barrel could get bent in the rear portion above the mag tube, but stuff happens.

Only other thing I can think of is that there were lightweight barrels that may or may not interchange on a std receiver, but I am not certain about that at all.
Thanks very much for the reply.

The 20" barrels that came with the shotguns both work perfectly and they both work perfectly on either gun.

It's just the new barrel doesn't work on either gun, so I agree, it's got to be the barrel. I don't see any wear marks on the lug or anything that touches the receiver. I'm convinced it's the forend/barrel interface.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe a factory "non-tactical" forend might be the ticket. Since I want to convert one gun back to a sporter-type configuration anyway, I may buy a used stock set somewhere.

We'll see.
Old January 23, 2020, 10:17 PM   #9
davidsog

Quote:
I have two used police 870s. One a magnum, the other standard.
Remington says:

Quote:
Model 870 Barrels with 3" chambers will fit both magnum and 2-3/4" receivers and will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells with a magnum receiver. (An M at the end of the serial number = magnum receiver.) Use only 2-3/4" shells when barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers. 870 Special Field barrels and other model 870 barrels are not interchangeable. The 20-ga. lightweight barrels will not fit 20-ga. standard guns. Light contour barrels for the 870 Wingmaster have a weight reduction of more than a 1/2 lb. to improve balance, portability and handling without sacrificing strength or durability. The Model 870 Super Slug with Scope is 23" long with a 3" chamber capable of handling 2-3/4" or 3" sabot slugs. Mounted and boresighted 2-7x32 scope. Fits 870 Wingmaster, Special Purpose and Express models.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Remi...els/705659.uts
Old January 24, 2020, 07:06 AM   #10
J.G. Terry

My house gun is an 870 Magnum Express with sighted short barrel. It's an older model with synthetic stock.

I know this is a shotgun. My first choice on Remington rifles is to give Remington to correct the problem. Remington would send prepaid shipping labels etc. Should my shotgun give problems that would be my personal first choice. That choice also has to do with no gunsmith in the area.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:21 PM   #11
davidsog

Quote:
My house gun is an 870 Magnum Express with sighted short barrel. It's an older model with synthetic stock.
I built an 870 HD for the fun of it off and 1990's Magnum Special Purpose Deer.

Less than 300 bucks too!

Old January 25, 2020, 11:57 PM   #12
Virginian

There is obviously something amiss with the "new" barrel. I would call Cabela's and talk to customer service, and tell them you want to exchange it.
Old January 27, 2020, 09:32 PM   #13
J.G. Terry

I hope the barrel has not been altered enough to void warranties. The Magnum Express had to be one of the best deals going. The deer barrel came after I had already bought the gun. Recently went out an patterned the gun with 00 and #4 buckshot. The patterns were excellent. Hope OP gets his barrel problem in his favor. It would be good to get an update.
Old January 27, 2020, 11:07 PM   #14
mrtimm

Thanks for the interest everyone. Nothing to update right now. It might be a week or two before I can get back into it.

I'll let you know what I determine.
Old June 13, 2020, 10:50 PM   #15
mrtimm

Okay,

Made some progress. Installed the new wood forend and I'm still having the problem. So I compared the old barrel that worked with the new barrel that sticks.

I've been trying to find closeups or blueprints online. From what I can see, the new barrel is improperly machined. I'm reaching out to Remington re: a replacement barrel.

What do you think? If you have a working 870, please take a quick look and see what your slot looks like. I'd be interested to know.

Thanks again for your comments.
Attached Images
File Type: png very small barrel issue with captions.png (989.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by mrtimm; June 13, 2020 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Fixing Image Lnk
Old June 14, 2020, 07:53 PM   #16
KnightofCydonia

I had that problem before trying to fit an 18.5" Express barrel to my Wingmaster. That ejector groove isn't cut properly and doesn't clear the ejector enough so the barrel doesn't seat properly.
Old June 15, 2020, 04:48 AM   #17
Brit

Not sure if everyone is familiar with the different rules on the law in Canada per the length of shotgun barrels? The shortest legal barrel law. 14"
When I brought my 870 into the USA, I had to swap an 18.5" for the 14" factory barrel.
What a terrible difference, in IDPA matches in Ontario, reference manoeuvrable
difference. You can hold the stock under your armpit, and open the door with your left hand.
Slugs at 100M (yards) tight group, 12"? Sight, just a bead, painted with a dab of white fridge paint. Ideal for slinging over the shoulder, and going for the pistol. That shotgun cycled like the Rolls Royce of shotguns! Smooth as glass.
Mind you, nice to leave the 10 round Glock magazines behind!
Old June 17, 2020, 12:53 AM   #18
Romulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofCydonia View Post
I had that problem before trying to fit an 18.5" Express barrel to my Wingmaster. That ejector groove isn't cut properly and doesn't clear the ejector enough so the barrel doesn't seat properly.
This

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano

Tags
870 barrel , forend , gunsmithing , police guns