The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Eric 53

Crack in pistol barrel?

New user to the forum here, I apologize about not knowing how to post pics. I don't think my phone would pick up what I'll attempt to describe anyway. (Note: attempted to take a pic, but camera is too lo res)

The pistol in question is a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 cal police trade in, recently acquired. Broke it down for cleaning before shooting it the first time. It's notably very clean inside and out, obviously been fired but no appreciable wear per se. The barrel locking lug showing very light loss of finish as well as slide rails, ect.

Something did catch my eye as I was wiping down the outside of the barrel. Just before the tip, (the end where the bullet exits, not the breech) about 1/4 in from it, there is the finest of cracks. It's not very visible, but my fingernail just barely catches on it if I drag it across with a bit of pressure.

It goes about 3/4" around the circumference of the barrel, taking a "dip" similar to one you might see on an EKG printout if that makes sense. The barrel shows no sign of bulging. Inspection of the inside of it shows only a shiny bore, no cracks or flaws whatsoever.

Enthusiasm overrode any caution and I fired about 40 rounds through it. Cleaning it afterwards the crack showed no changes.

Have readers of the forum, and/or experienced guys that work on guns seen anything like this? Appreciate opinions!
Old December 25, 2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Hawg

Are you sure it's a crack and not a scratch?
Old December 25, 2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

It's probably where the barrel centers itself in the front of the slide.
Old December 25, 2019, 11:32 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Those barrels are machined with a slightly larger diameter band of metal around the barrel at the muzzle.

This article contains a picture of one with the band of metal visible.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/r...stol-need-one/

Here's the picture. The PX4 barrel is the one at the bottom.

I suspect that what your fingernail is catching on is the edge of that band.
Old December 26, 2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Eric 53

The crack is in front of that band mostly. It runs it's jagged edge almost all the way around, even dipping below it at one point. So sorry I can't share a pic, it's pretty unusual. Not from normal wear, but an honest to goodness crack.. like you might find on a windshield.

Anyway I'm now in the market for a replacement barrel as it's just too much for me to deal with. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
Old December 26, 2019, 11:45 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Find an autoshop with a magnaflux. That'll tell you if it's cxracked or not.
Old December 26, 2019, 04:11 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

That's a weird place for a barrel to crack.

If anything really bad (bad enough to cause a crack) had happened up in that area, I would expect enough deformation in the barrel to make the gun impossible to disassemble. If it's really a crack, I suspect it's been there since the gun was new.

I'm guessing you're seeing some kind of wear, but it won't hurt to get it checked out.

If I were in your situation, I would contact Beretta. If it's really cracked, I think they'll give you a new barrel since it's probably some sort of manufacturing defect if it is a crack. If it's not, they can check it out and let you know its ok.
Old December 26, 2019, 05:06 PM   #8
Pahoo

Magnaflux + 2

Quote:
Find an autoshop with a magnaflux. That'll tell you if it's cxracked or not.
Great advice and my thoughts when I read your post. The process is simple, fast. This test will definitely address your fears and doubts. ……..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 27, 2019, 02:09 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

A crack goes all the way through. If it doesn't, its a scratch or a cut, or a groove or wear or something else but not a crack.
Old January 4, 2020, 10:58 PM   #10
Seven High

I suggest that you contact Beretta customer service. They will want you to send it in for an examination by a gunsmith.
Old January 4, 2020, 11:10 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Agree. If there is any doubt, they will trash it and provide a replacement. Barrels are cheap.
Old January 5, 2020, 07:18 AM   #12
Eric 53

Post script:

Found a very lightly used barrel for a good price. Took the pistol out yesterday and fired 22 rounds without hiccup. After combing the net finding no similar related experiences to my own, have chalked this up to a anomaly.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:14 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
After combing the net finding no similar related experiences to my own, have chalked this up to a anomaly.
It's not an anomaly at all. It's actually pretty common for a new owner to find something that they misinterpret as a major problem.

I've done it myself, at least once.

You need to have Beretta take a look at that barrel for several reasons. 1. If it's really cracked, you'll almost certainly get a new barrel at no cost. 2. If it's really cracked, Beretta needs to examine it to insure that there's not a problem with their manufacturing processes. 3. If it's not cracked, you can either keep it and have a spare barrel or sell it and recoup some of the money you spent buying another barrel.
Old January 5, 2020, 11:50 PM   #14
Emerson Biggies

Get a good picture of it and post same.