The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 21, 2019, 03:52 PM   #26
Lohman446

In morality I believe there are negative duties that require one abstain from things. For instance murder. Society and the golden rule serve, in general, to set negative duties.

There are then positive duties that obligate you to certain action such as the defense of others. You are not born with positive duties but you take them on.

A sworn officer's positive duties are very carefully laid out by department regulations. While I believe some of them are ridiculous those regulations are subject to public discussion, criticism, and change.

My positive duty as a civilian is limited to my children, my wife, and those I have provided a safe environment to such as guests in my house and employees or customers in my business.

I have zero positive duty to the collective as a whole in regards to defending them.
Old October 31, 2019, 04:49 AM   #27
13gunhey498

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Any CCW holder would most likely be shot by police in any of those situations. The Police have no idea who the criminal is in most cases. Plus they're just as scared as anybody else. Most PD firearms training and individual skill level is minimal too.
The CCW guy may be a better shot than the average cop, but he has no training at all. Having a CCW is not an urban combat licence. It's about self-defence.
I agree with you completely. but still, if you are a law-abiding citizen and you see that the police have CCW, then you should put your CCW aside unless the police threaten you