The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2020, 04:04 AM   #1
simo

98 fs factory sights, have these been painted by the previous owner?

Hi guys, a question about my beretta 98fs in 9x21, it was produced in 1993 (that's why it has m9 sights on it). I bought it used, like new. It is one of the older models without the slanted frame, it's the straight one. While cleaning it i noticed that the white painting on the front and on the rear sights is pretty imprecise and gross, more than on my 84fs, which by the way is much newer (i bought it new 2 years ago). On my 92fs the painting is a bit more bright and, in the fromt soghts dot, there is a sort of little hole, maybe due to a bubble. Is this difference due to different painting procedure by beretta throughout the years or do you think the previous owner painted the sights? plus, both the front sight dot and the rear sight hafmoon are decenteres but this is because the incisions where the paint should go are decentered too. I can't see any sort of old painting under the new one on its sides. I'll post some pics from my gun. Please reply only if you have a direct experience with these pistols.
Thank you very much in advance

P.S.: i posted a similar thread on another forum, i'm asking here for further investigation since i didn't find anyone with a 1993 92fs/m9 to compare.

i'm having problems posting pics, i'll try to figure out how to do so

Last edited by simo; March 30, 2020 at 04:07 AM. Reason: pics
Old March 30, 2020, 09:31 AM   #2
mk70ss

Looks like the previous owner touched the sights up with some white paint/nail polish. They did come with a white “sort of square with a rounded bottom thing” on the rear and a white “dot” on the front sight post.
Old March 30, 2020, 09:48 AM   #3
Hal

Might be White Out - - try some WD40 on a Q-tip and see if it comes off.

It might be nail polish too - as mentioned.
Acetone will remove that - or nail polish remover (same thing as acetone)
Old March 30, 2020, 09:51 AM   #4
Jim Watson

I agree, looks like the previous owner repainted them. I have seen the dots simply fall out of their pocket in the sight.
Old March 30, 2020, 10:20 AM   #5
simo

Thanks for the answers. Just to be sure, why do you think they were repainted? do you have any 92fs or m9 to compare or it's just your impression? thanks again, i appreciate your help very much.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:19 AM   #6
Jim Watson

The reason I think they were repainted is because they are so sloppy, factory spots are smooth and color within the lines.
The reason I think they needed to be repainted is because the paint simply fell out or got dirty with smoke and gun oil.
Old March 30, 2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Pahoo

Not repainted well

Quote:
The reason I think they needed to be repainted is because the paint simply fell out or got dirty with smoke and gun oil.
That would be my SWAG on this as I have see this happen before. The Paint job is even, smooth and sound. It when they beak loose, it's little pieces, at a time. They also discolor and turn more into an ivory color vs. white. Now then, it may be something new but have never seen this pattern. It's not a big job to repaint. I use appliance touch-up and apply with a toothpick. …

Be Safe !!!
Old March 30, 2020, 12:24 PM   #8
simo

exactly, it is the too bright white that made me suspect it sas repainted, even more than the imprecision of the paint job. thanks for the replies however!
Old March 30, 2020, 12:40 PM   #9
Hal

Ditto for Jim Watson's "too sloppy".
I'm not a Beretta fan -but - from the examples I've handled - they don't do anything that sloppy.
Old March 30, 2020, 08:47 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

As said, repainted. Pretty sloppy job at that.
Old March 30, 2020, 10:34 PM   #11
Forte S+W

To me it almost looks as if the whole gun has been painted.

Seriously, I'm used to Beretta's Bruniton Finish being much smoother looking than the surface of that particular gun.
Old March 31, 2020, 01:06 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Agree that it looks like the whole gun has been repainted--poorly. That's why they had to retouch the dots on the sights--poorly.
Old March 31, 2020, 04:57 AM   #13
simo

thanks for the answers. anyway, the pistol has not been refinished, that's for sure. the pics are a bit misleading due to the light and the LCP on the gun. The finish on early berettas 98fs was textured like that ad the pics are really very near to the gun. plus the sights have a totally different finish from the slide. as for the sights, i think you are right, even if beretta used to paint military sights on m9s in a sloppy awy itself, these one seems repainte to me. it would be great if you had an m9 from that period to compare!
Old March 31, 2020, 08:00 AM   #14
TunnelRat

98 fs factory sights, have these been painted by the previous owner?

You said you bought it used, so how are you positive it hasn’t been refinished? I’ve seen Berettas from the 90s, and Berettas from before that as well. I’d still agree with John that it looks refinished. That again explains the repainting of the sights. I’ve seen imports that have been refinished and the result is very similar. You say Beretta used to paint the sights on M9s in a sloppy way. I’ve never seen one that sloppy. Hobbyists can do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 31, 2020, 09:24 AM   #15
simo

i'm positive it has not been refinished because i have seen many many 98fs here in italy and the finish is exactly identical to my pistol's one. It's just the paint in the sight that i didn't ever considered, just didn't never pay attention to them.