The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2020, 07:25 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Info on High-Standard .22 Pistol Models and Prices?

I am beside myself with happiness because I finally got a Colt Woodsman to replace the one someone stole from my grandmother's estate. Now, of course, it's time to shop for something else. My grandfather had a High-Standard .22 semiauto in addition to the Woodsman, so obviously, I need one.

Problem: the range of High-Standard .22 pistols is large, and its hard to find out what they're worth.

Based on photos, it looks like he may have had a Sport King. Is this a decent model? High end? Low end? What? I'm looking to get something analagous to a simple target Woodsman.

I'm seeing prices that seem to vary a lot for no apparent reason. Trying to find out what I should pay.
Old March 9, 2020, 07:47 PM   #2
Mike38

Like this one? https://simpsonltd.com/high-standard-sport-king-c46302/
If so, they run $395 to $495
Old March 9, 2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Sport King was an entry model close to Colt Huntsman/Challenger.
There are several variations of action design.
They lack a feed ramp and depend on the magazine being just right.
Old March 9, 2020, 08:59 PM   #4
Swifty Morgan

Mike38, I have to thank you for showing me that site.

Now that I'm reading up on this manufacturer, I see that there is a big difference between the lower-end models and the expensive jobs, but I'm 98% sure the gun I shot back in Kentucky with my grandfather was a cheap Sport King or Dura-Matic, so I feel like that's what I should get.

I have to say that I like the Field Kings with adjustable rear sights.
Old March 10, 2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

The only price I know for sure.
High Standard HD Military, 6" barrel with wood " target" grips. NRA good-very good that my grandfather gave me when I was about 14 years old.....$PRICELESS!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 10, 2020, 02:44 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Field King is the same action as the target models of the same period.
The Duramatic is utterly different, the real economy model.
Old March 11, 2020, 08:07 AM   #7
rodfac

High Standards have always gone for less than the comparable Colt Woodsmen...but then Colt has always put an add'l $200 price tag for the "Pony" stamped into their side plates.

In my personal experience, High Standards have always shot at least as well as the Colts. Back in the 70's and early 80's, when I was competing in the Connecticut NRA Bullseye circuit, you saw far more HS's than Colts on the 50' indoor firing lines as well as the 25 & 50 yd outdoor Nat'l Match Courses. Some of that may have been the HS's ability to mount an optic dot sight that had just become legal for NRA competition, but the guns were every bit as accurate.

In point of fact...several of the top shooters on the Colt factory team in Hartford shot High Standard models.

The top of the line HS, back then, was the "Victor" model...a superbly crafted gun that sported a superb trigger & was extremely competitive. It was every bit as good Smith's Model 41 in fact. I shot a Victor for several years but never really liked the grip angle finally trading it off for a lightly used Smith 41. I quickly found that the grip angle had nothing to do with my scores...just one of those 'good ideas' that didn't work out. BTW, I still have the 41 but rarely shoot it anymore.

If your interested in High Standards, there are several "Victors" on GB with prices down in the mid $700 region as of this morning's appraisal...they're a good buy for sure if you're a shooter...the gun's equal to the M41 Smith and probably better than the two Colts I've owned.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 11, 2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old March 11, 2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I'm not a bullseye shooter but I like the guns.
My High Standard Supermatic Citation Military is more accurate than my Woodsman Match Target, more accurate than my .22 rifles other than the Anschutz. And has a much better trigger. It's only failing is its requirement for good magazines properly adjusted since it has no feed ramp, the magazine lips have to aim the upcoming round right at the chamber.
The Model 41 is very good, mine is more flexible as to ammo than the HS, and you can get magazines, but it is no better shooter.
Old March 12, 2020, 05:12 PM   #9
rodfac

Good post, Jim Watson. Your experience seems to mirror is mine. I don’t remember the lack of feed ramp on HS’s. But then again, it’s been over 40 years since I have tinkered with a high standard victor model. I do recall that the gun was not finicky whatsoever, in the AMMO it liked. Back then, Remington target 22s did quite well. We seldom saw an alibi on the timed and rapid fire strings. That has all changed since then. Given my druthers, federal auto match seems to do the trick in all of my 22 handguns. Again good post senor. best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 12, 2020, 06:58 PM   #10
1MoreFord

For years I wanted a nice .22 pistol. I looked a long time to find a Smith 41 or one of the better High Standards with a military grip that I could afford. Finally I found a later model(screw take down type) Victor for a decent price at a gun show of all places. Still have it and don't plan on parting with it.