The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 29, 2020, 04:33 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50

So after looking at many different optics for my 6.5 Creedmoor I settled on the Viper HST.

There are many reasons I chose it, but that's not what we are here to discuss. Today I would like to share my thoughts about this optic.

First I very much like the turrets and the tracking seems to be dead on. Clicks are very tactile although not really audible. I am always wearing ear protection anyway so that doesn't matter.

The glass is very clear. Image quality is excellent until you reach the top end of the magnification. At 24 power it is not bad at all, but not as clear as it is from 6-18 power.

The sub-tensions in the SFP reticle are set at 18 power. At first I was a little dissapointed in that fact, but after shooting it for a couple range trips now I very much like this optic at 18 power. Honestly I wish this was a 6-18 power as I can see myself almost never going above 18 with this optic.

I very much like the fact that Vortex uses a tactile detent at 18 power so there is no need to visually check that you are on the correct power for your reticle sub-tensions.

One thing that I really wish that Vortex had done is where they note what magnification level you are on. Reticle sub-tensions are set to 18 power, max is 24 power, I wish they would have noted where in the range you are on 9 power. That would be useful if I needed more holdover. At 9 power I would know that my sub-tensions are twice what they would be at 18 power. This scope has marks for 24, 18, 12, 8 and 6 power respectively.

For the size of this optic the weight is pretty reasonable. In fact I was surprised at how much lighter it is than the Viper PST.

Now the VMR Reticle is a real gem. (IMO) I really like how the sub-tensions are in 2 MOA spacing between hash marks. This allows the reticle to not be so cluttered up and hard to read.

All the knobs turn nicely and are not so stiff that you need a throw lever. The paralax adjustment knob is very smooth and the marks (at least for me) do indeed match up to the indicated range.

This optic is advertised to have 65 MOA of total internal adjustment. Upon counting the clicks from top to bottom I found there to be 65.25MOA. So as far as I am concerned it is right on the money.

The eye box and eye relief are pretty forgiving and easy to maintain. Until that is you get to 24 power. At 24 power it is not as forgiving.

Overall I am very satisfied with this optic, but if I were to do it again or purchase one in the future. I would recommend the 4-16 power variation.

I paid $629 for this optic from my LGS.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine