The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2019, 07:30 AM   #76
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
.... If there isn't any issues or recalls, and the price comes down closer to $300, I'd consider picking one up.
It will. It's only a matter of time. The more patient you are, the more you will save. The street price on .22 rimfire pistols always seems to come down faster than other models and calibers, due to the sheer quantity produced. The market reaches a saturation point quicker.
Old December 16, 2019, 08:10 AM   #77
USNRet93

I guess Glock won't stop at '45' or '47

Interesting stuff here..like a Glock 49, 10mm...

https://www.recoilweb.com/prediction...ks-155146.html

But maybe not since 'some' predict Glock has 'YUGE' problems and will go under because of introducing a $350 22LR pistol...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 17, 2019, 03:08 AM   #78
sigarms228

Good review of the Glock 44 and explains Glock's goal to make the Glock 44 the most reliable 22 auto loading pistol and thus the decision for 10 round magazine. Can also be dry fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4tdgMbh78
Old December 17, 2019, 04:49 AM   #79
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
Good review of the Glock 44 and explains Glock's goal to make the Glock 44 the most reliable 22 auto loading pistol and thus the decision for 10 round magazine. Can also be dry fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_4tdgMbh78
I have always been ambivalent toward Glocks. Thought they were nice firearms but over rated by their fans. However, this gun is changing my mind about them. I want this gun. The fact that they seem to have made a top 22 to go along with the well known, 19 is a "Hats off to Glock".I want one, and I also see a Glock 19 in my future. I like the fact that insisted of "Reliability over Capacity". I find the new Glock to be the most interesting firearm to come out in the past few years. Bravo to Glock on this one. (Going now to check out Glock 19 prices. Very well could be my first Glock.)

Lol, Reliability over Capacity. Smart move Glock.
Old December 17, 2019, 05:35 AM   #80
bill460

Glock does first what every manufacturer chasing their success tries to do later. It's been this way ever since the first Glock 17 was introduced. All the other manufacturers break their backs to get something on the market to compete.

Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Walther, SCCY, along with at least a dozen other lesser brands, all try to carve out a small piece of the pie for themselves. Some fail, while others manage to get a small taste of a market that Glock continues to dominate.

This will be no different. I can all but guarantee you Springfield and Smith & Wesson are already having meetings with their top brass, about getting a .22 version of their XD and M&P out as quickly as possible. They would be stupid not to.

It won't matter in the least to Glock. They were, are now, and always will be the leader in the Polymer handgun world. When you experience success the way Glock has, repetition in competition is the most sincere form of flattery you can get..... And Glock has been getting it ever since they sold their first pistol. This one will be no different.
Old December 17, 2019, 06:54 AM   #81
IAhunter

I imagine the 10 round magazines are so that they can sell the pistols within the laws of the not-so-free states. If the Glock 44 in .22 LR is anywhere near as reliable as the centerfire Glocks, it will be a hit.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:21 AM   #82
GarandTd

S&W has had a reliable 22lr M&P available for quite some time now. The compact is, IMO, incredibly reliable. It took me a year to find a round that made it choke. I don't think S&W has to play catch up on this one.

I think 10 round mags is a smart move for Glock and I don't consider the mag capacity as a "deal breaker". Glock fans and loyalists are going to pay whatever price they charge without question. That would be the catch for me. Price. The G44 would have to come down to about $300 before I'd give it any attention and even then, I really like my M&P22 C, so I probably still wouldn't make that move. The Glock does offer something for somebody, just not for me.

If or when I acquire a Glock, it will most likely be a 19 or 43.
Old December 17, 2019, 07:39 AM   #83
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
Glock does first what every manufacturer chasing their success tries to do later. It's been this way ever since the first Glock 17 was introduced. All the other manufacturers break their backs to get something on the market to compete.

Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Walther, SCCY, along with at least a dozen other lesser brands, all try to carve out a small piece of the pie for themselves. Some fail, while others manage to get a small taste of a market that Glock continues to dominate.

This will be no different. I can all but guarantee you Springfield and Smith & Wesson are already having meetings with their top brass, about getting a .22 version of their XD and M&P out as quickly as possible. They would be stupid not to.

It won't matter in the least to Glock. They were, are now, and always will be the leader in the Polymer handgun world. When you experience success the way Glock has, repetition in competition is the most sincere form of flattery you can get..... And Glock has been getting it ever since they sold their first pistol. This one will be no different.
Well said, as I mentioned, rather than try to 'compete with them', make them compete with you..been that way with Glock for a long time.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 17, 2019, 01:34 PM   #84
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
I can all but guarantee you Springfield and Smith & Wesson are already having meetings with their top brass, about getting a .22 version of their XD and M&P out as quickly as possible.
S&W has had an M&P22 on the market for years, in two sizes. I was close to buying an M&P22 Compact until I saw the new Glock coming out.
Old December 17, 2019, 02:04 PM   #85
TunnelRat

Given that other manufacturers have had 22s on the market for some time, I'm not sure how this is Glock making others compete with them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 26, 2020, 03:57 AM   #86
Jeff22

So I picked up a Glock 44 on Friday.

I ran 200 rounds of CCI mini mags through it with 100% reliability (!!!)

The trigger was crisp. I shot it at 30 and 50 feet on the indoor range. At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot a little high for me and the group opened up, but that may have been me and not the gun.
Old January 26, 2020, 04:56 AM   #87
bill460

Quote:
So I picked up a Glock 44 on Friday.

I ran 200 rounds of CCI mini mags through it with 100% reliability (!!!)

The trigger was crisp. I shot it at 30 and 50 feet on the indoor range. At 50 feet the gun seemed to shoot a little high for me and the group opened up, but that may have been me and not the gun.
Did you notice if they had extra mags for sale where you bought it?
Old January 26, 2020, 05:23 AM   #88
JohnKSa
Staff

I know NOTHING at all about this company other than that they claim to have the mags in stock.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:07 AM   #89
USNRet93

Youngest son went to Tanner Gun Show in Denver yesterday and he saw many for sale. Some vendors selling factory mags as well...all $359ish for the seemingly really reliable and well made Glock 44. Pretty impressive considering is was ‘released’ less than a week ago.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 26, 2020, 09:18 AM   #90
Areoflyer09

While out and about yesterday I stopped into 6-7 gun stores, prices were all in the $359-$399 range.
Old January 26, 2020, 02:10 PM   #91
CUBAN REDNECK

Too expensive for a 10 round .22 caliber pistol.
Old January 26, 2020, 08:22 PM   #92
dogtown tom

Quote:
CUBAN REDNECK Too expensive for a 10 round .22 caliber pistol.
Really?
Either you don't have much experience with .22 pistols or are blissfully unaware of current firearm pricing.

$359 is the retail MAP for the Glock, which is virtually the same price point of the S&W M&P, Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkIV, Walther PP and other mid range .22 pistols.

Now, if your tastes in .22's leans to pot metal, then the Glock, S&W, Rugers and Brownings aren't for you.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 27, 2020, 08:30 AM   #93
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbeth View Post
Good, However more appropriate options are available in the market as compared to this one.
I'll bite, what makes them 'more appropriate'? Considering you can put any 5 gun owners in a room and ask about a single anything and get a dozen opinions. You could say that about anything, 'more appropriate'.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 27, 2020, 11:09 AM   #94
dogtown tom

Quote:
kimbeth Good, However more appropriate options are available in the market as compared to this one.
<----owns more than a dozen Colt, Beretta & Ruger .22 pistols. Does not yet own a Glock 44.

Tell me more about the inappropriateness of the Glock 44.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 27, 2020, 03:10 PM   #95
Brit

Had a buddy call by yesterday, with his Glock 44 .22 LR pistol.

Examined this pistol, and both magazines, no ability to shoot it. Just take it down, and look at it.

I was very impressed, it was so light! The trigger pull was smooth as glass. A very well made pistol, as I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19, the ability to use the same holster and mag pouches, with the Mod # 44 save a ton of money on ammo.

My Wife would have no problem using this for self-defence in the house when the 15 or so magazines come out? I will buy one.
Give it a year? Should cost around $325.00 or so.
Old January 27, 2020, 09:12 PM   #96
Jeff22

Glock 44

For my purposes, the Glock 44 will be a sub caliber training gun.

I have a Ciener converter on a G19 frame and an Advantage Arms conversion unit on a G17 frame. Both have frequent malfunctions because the slide fails to fully go into battery in the middle of a firing string. Even when clean and lubed and using hotter ammo, like CCI mini mags.
Old January 28, 2020, 06:15 AM   #97
Brit

Jeff.
My Buddy had just returned from our outdoor range, he said no failures to fire, or load, or eject! The ten-round magazines? A pain to keep loading, more capacity models on the way? Who knows.
Old January 28, 2020, 07:27 PM   #98
CUBAN REDNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Really?
Either you don't have much experience with .22 pistols or are blissfully unaware of current firearm pricing.

$359 is the retail MAP for the Glock, which is virtually the same price point of the S&W M&P, Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkIV, Walther PP and other mid range .22 pistols.

Now, if your tastes in .22's leans to pot metal, then the Glock, S&W, Rugers and Brownings aren't for you.
GunsAmerica has listings for Ruger and Taurus .22 for around $250, I don't believe that they are made from either zinc or pot metal.
Old January 28, 2020, 11:42 PM   #99
dyl

Quote:
I thought the slides on S&W compact 22's were made of aluminum.
Old January 29, 2020, 12:32 AM   #100
JohnKSa
Staff

Right. He's saying that if you like pot metal you won't like the guns he lists because they're not made of pot metal.