The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 29, 2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Classic12

Fully automatic pistols and SMG

I’ve posted these individually, but since the ranges are all closed and I’m self confining with the family, here goes another pictorial. Hope I’m not boring the audience too much.

I’ve had this Beretta 93 R for 21 years, it’s one of the jewel of my collection. I find it absolutely beautiful, the slide angles and polishing is stunning. I couldn’t date it though, and Beretta never responded to my requests.

I have the box too, well, not much of a box.

Glock 18. I used to see used Gen 2 for sale at abt $ 2000, and felt it was a bit expensive for a plastic gun. Then in mid 2018, some dealers advised that Glock would sell new gen 3 G18, but only on order and with the special license needed beforehand. Price was $ 1500, so I ordered one. It was delivered two months later. Not nearly as prestigious as the 93 R, but still a very fun toy. I don’t know if it was built in 2018 or if they had NOS. I should probably ask them.

Old March 29, 2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Classic12

And very recently I bought this rare CZ 75 automatic in a three full auto guns deal. I’m not even sure if was was shot, and it completes my desired trilogy, which only took two decades. It was built in 2003 and came with manual and a test target dated March 23, 2003. An interesting detail is that the barrel has rifling through the end despite the three holes porting.

Old March 29, 2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Classic12

Living in the French part of Switzerland and very close to France, I watched a lot of French movies, and the MAT 49 SMG was featured in many war movies and old thrillers, as it was also used by the gendarmerie. It’s a very familiar and distinctive gun here, and I’ve wanted one for a long time. I got this one in a trade in 2018. I couldn’t date it precisely, but it’s probably from early/mid fifties.

The HK MP5 A3 was part of the three guns deal mentioned. I mean who doesn’t want an MP5 ? I also couldn’t date this one as it does not have the usual code or proof markings

Old March 29, 2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Very nice.

There are very few Beretta 93 in the US. I have only seen pictures of them.
Old March 29, 2020, 11:16 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I didn't even know there was a full-auto version of the CZ-75. Very interesting how they solved the controllability problem with a spare magazine and a modified floorplate.
Old March 30, 2020, 04:53 AM   #6
9mm

OP, are you in the US?

Where did you find such rarities, especially that M93R.
Old March 30, 2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Ed4032

Sweet!!! Can I come over and play... please.
Old March 30, 2020, 12:45 PM   #8
Classic12

Fully automatic pistols and SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
OP, are you in the US?

Where did you find such rarities, especially that M93R.

No, as mentioned at the beginning of post #3 I live in Switzerland
Old March 30, 2020, 12:46 PM   #9
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
Sweet!!! Can I come over and play... please.

By all means, although I understand flying might be a problem these days
Old April 1, 2020, 06:50 AM   #10
shortround60

Pure awesomeness!!! Congratulations on your building such a neat collection.
Old April 1, 2020, 08:49 AM   #11
Brit

On vacation in France, in 1965 just prior to immigrating to Australia. With my wife at the time! And two wee kids. Long before the Tunnel, we used the ferry.
In a hurry! Driving towards the Port, we were pulled over by Police, waving white discs at us? No one spoke English, I could not speak French.
Sign language to the one standing by my open window, a little fiesta yellow new Mini Van, with a white roof needed (No A/C!) We were going to miss the boat, so to speak.
They had those funny sub Guns hanging on slings. My Daughter, aged 6 was crying! On my wife's knee. We were in a line of 4 vehicles! Engines off!
I told the Cop near my window "Pixx off we are gone" Started the engine, into gear, and left. No one shot at us, or chased us! We just caught the ferry.

Many years later, visiting the Glock plant in Deutsch-Wagram Austria, I was let shoot a Glock 18 on the fancy wooden-clad roofed range, my first burst at full auto, put 5 rounds into that roof! They were not pleased.
I arrived by rental vehicle, at lunch hour. No answer to the button, with Mic. at the locked gate. I was being watched by a large German Shepperd quite the correct dog? I popped the latch with my recovered pen knife from my Suitcase, whistled the dog, and we both strolled up to the side entrance.

The plant was amazing, spotless! Closed for a month in the summer! And at 12 noon on Fridays, so they could clean up! Switched all the fully loaded machinery on, and 6 hours later, they switched themselves off!
Old April 1, 2020, 05:02 PM   #12
Drm50

I had a MAT 49 for awhile when I was in RVn. Got it out of captured weapons pile. Only had the mag that was in the gun. I traded it for 3 big cans of peaches. I think I got the best of the deal.
Old April 1, 2020, 06:22 PM   #13
2wheelwander

Classic12, am I correct in assuming you must possess a collectors permit to own the fully auto firearms but you are not allowed to ever shoot them?

I visited Malta this past fall and stopped into a gun store that had select fire guns to make any collector drool. The owner gave me prices that would be unheard of cheap here in America. Then he told me they could collect them but not shoot them.

Wall art only.
Old April 1, 2020, 06:35 PM   #14
Sharkbite

That 93R made me drool...

Ive got a bit of time on a G18. Somehow they convinced my S.O. It was the ideal “entry shield gun”. We got a kick outta that when they showed up. We shoot em (of course), but they never made it into the field. Lol

Try holding a shield up with one arm and shooting that little bugger with the other hand, while wrapped around the shield trying to aim thur the window in the shield!!! Lots of fun to try at the range... no way i’d try it for real.

But, i would like to give a 93R a run :-)
Old April 2, 2020, 06:19 AM   #15
Brit

I have a good friend who was working with Jamaican drug Police, waterborne. They worked in a very fast boat. The apprehension of cigarette boats was their job!
His sidearm was a Glock 18. Firmly held by the Glock lanyard it came with.
No idea if he ever fired it whilst working.
Old April 7, 2020, 04:40 PM   #16
Classic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post
Classic12, am I correct in assuming you must possess a collectors permit to own the fully auto firearms but you are not allowed to ever shoot them?

I visited Malta this past fall and stopped into a gun store that had select fire guns to make any collector drool. The owner gave me prices that would be unheard of cheap here in America. Then he told me they could collect them but not shoot them.

Wall art only.

For regular guns you need to apply for a gun permit at the bureau of arms for each gun. Cost is $ 50 per permit. For that you obviously need a virgin criminal record. You may put up to three guns on the same permit but those have to be bought the same day from the same seller. That leads to some regrouping amongst sellers at gun shows, and also to some compulsive buying, to fill the third line and amortise the permit.

We used to be allowed to carry, concealed only, but that now requires another permit which is nearly impossible to get unless your profession requires it. Private transaction used to be allowed without permit but that’s no longer the case.

We are also still allowed to acquire and possess full auto weapons for collection purposes, or professional needs. Those require an exceptional permit, cost is $ 150.-, which has a few more conditions required, such as already having a small collection, a bolted safe, gun bolts have to be stored separately and another permit is required to shoot them.

This limits interest in them and they are therefore fairly cheap here, say $ 2-2500 for an M16, $ 1500 for a Glock 18, HK MP5 start at $ 2000, a Thompson starts at $ 1800 etc..
Old April 7, 2020, 04:41 PM   #17
Classic12

I left out the most iconic one by mistake. Maybe in my mind, it’s big and heavy for a SMG. I should have known better

Like many gun enthusiasts, I’ve always wanted a Tommy gun. Al Capone, the untouchables, WWII, the Cuban revolution, this gun has been is so many movies and documentaries that it is a real piece of 20th century history.

This one is a 1941 Savage built Auto Ordnance Thompson 1928 A1, possibly supplied to Great Britain under the lend lease program. I was lucky to win it at an auction at a reasonable price, abt, $ 2200

I have also installed a wide hand guard on the MP5

Old April 7, 2020, 07:43 PM   #18
raimius

Wow, in the US, we can fill out a Form 4 (about 4 pages) (photos, fingerprints, background check, etc), pay for a $200 tax stamp, wait the 4-12 months for the ATF to approve it and then legally buy a full-auto gun (although some states prohibit this). BUT it had to be registered before 1986, so the supply is fixed and prices are HIGH. A nice Thompson would cost $20,000 to $30,000 here!
If I could find a Thompson for $2200, I'd definitely jump at that.
Old April 8, 2020, 07:12 PM   #19
2wheelwander

THanks for clearing that up Classic12. While in Malta I was dumbfounded at how cheap the select fire weapons were. We'd never have guessed anywhere in Europe would be cheaper and faster to own full auto guns. You have one fine collection Sir. LOVE that CZ!
Old April 9, 2020, 07:25 PM   #20
smee78

That is a fine looking collection, congrats to all who can enjoy them. They are a hoot to shoot.
Old April 11, 2020, 11:00 AM   #21
GarandTd

Awesome collection. I really like how that CZ utilizes a magazine for the forward grip. Very cool.
Old April 11, 2020, 11:29 AM   #22
Wag

Very nice! I'm truly jealous!

--Wag--
Old April 13, 2020, 11:23 PM   #23
stephen426

Classic 12, you owe me a new keyboard. I just shorted mine out drooling over your guns. LOL. VERY IMPRESSIVE COLLECTION!!! I'd be happier than a pig in poop with just the MP5, but prices on a transferable gun here is outrageous. Enjoy your collection!
Old May 31, 2020, 07:31 AM   #24
Road_Clam

I now need to go find a box of tissues and have a good jealousy cry... LOL

As a suppressed Beretta 92FS owner myself, your 93R is absolutely awesome and thanks for sharing all your collection and info !
Old June 4, 2020, 05:30 PM   #25
DMK

Wow, I'm late to this thread, but wow!

The Beretta 93R and the CZ-75 especially. I wonder what those would cost in the US?

If I had the disposable income for guns that cost as much as a car, I'd definitely buy one of those two lovely happy switch handguns.