The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Prof Young

Shooting range/LGS is . . . essential.

Gov. Pritzger of IL, declared a stay-at-home order and non-essential business were to close as of 5 pm yesterday. Went to shooting range about 3 pm and was told that, apparently after consulting with state officials, due to home security needs the range is an essential business and would remain open.

Gotta love it.

Prof Young
Old March 22, 2020, 04:54 PM   #2
TXAZ

Glad to hear it but ...It can't possibly be true: That would require common sense on behalf of that state government.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 22, 2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Mike38

If true, great, but I have a feeling it's not.

Edit: I do not see gun ranges or gun shops on this list.

https://www.bnd.com/news/coronavirus...241383276.html

But I do see cannabis dispensaries and tattoo parlors. Gotta keep our priorities straight!

Last edited by Mike38; March 22, 2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 22, 2020, 08:50 PM   #4
Kevin Rohrer

Ohio's just issued "shelter-in-place" order also exempts all gun stores. Mine has an indoor range, which I will be going to tomorrow.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old March 23, 2020, 09:22 AM   #5
DaveBj

Our local range has a website and an email notification list. I haven't seen anything about their closing. Of course, it's pretty easy to retain separation there.

D
Old March 23, 2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), which is based in Connecticut, sent out an e-mail blast announcing (among other things) that Connecticut has also included firearms manufacturers and retailers in their list of essential businesses.

Quote:
Firearm Retailers Deemed ‘Essential’ in Conn. Emergency Order

Connecticut firearm and ammunition retailers will remain open as an essential business during emergency orders to close businesses in the state. Gov. Ned Lamont issued guidance designating firearm retailers “essential” businesses necessary remain open while Executive Order 7H is in effect. The order closes non-essential businesses in an effort to control infection from COVID-19. Most firearm manufacturing in Connecticut was already exempted due to essential services to maintain government contracts for small arms to the U.S. military. NSSF worked with the Governor’s office and legislators in both chambers of the state General Assembly to ensure this essential service was allowed to continue uninterrupted. This designation of firearm retailers as an essential service allows local law enforcement and individuals to continue to obtain the necessary firearms, ammunition, accessories and safety-related items. During times of emergency, self-protection and protection of loved ones is vital.
This press release doesn't say it, but the NSSF has been active on this issue in a number of states as well as at the federal level. I suspect that the states are following guidelines from the federal government in making up their lists of what constitutes "essential" businesses.
Jeepaholic
Old March 23, 2020, 12:58 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Not shooting ranges by themselves. However, many ranges are within gun stores. I was at a store on Friday and the line to buy firearms was about 30 people deep. They had to rope off a line so folks were in single file. No 9mm, 40, 38, 357, or 45 on the shelves.
Old March 23, 2020, 03:32 PM   #8
ATN082268

In East Tennessee, I went to a local gun store/shooting range which had normal hours of operation. I had a great time with my .44 Magnum
Old March 23, 2020, 03:51 PM   #9
joesurfer

Freeport NY range closed

Got the notification last week that the private range in Freeport is closed until further notice per Cuomo's order of nonessential services.
Old March 23, 2020, 05:45 PM   #10
Ignition Override

Academy Sports in a Memphis suburb, Collierville, had about 1/3 rd of its normal ammunition quantities.

I was surprised that so much ammo was there and only checked the lowest-priced 9mm and .22LR; prices were normal.

My planning since 2008 helped me avoid any of the ammo panic.
I bought targets and a box of .45 for a friend who seldom shoots any of his 6-7 guns.

The Germans don't have much a gun culture.
You can probably deduce from that comment that the friend grew up in Germany.....
Old April 6, 2020, 07:43 AM   #11
DMK

In NC, gun stores are essential business and allowed to stay open.

Unfortunately our outdoor ranges are in national forest and have been shut down by the UDSA. (including developed day use areas, visitor centers, Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trail systems, picnic pavilions, shooting ranges and all restrooms, including those at trailheads and other recreation sites.)

Ironic that we are allowed to use the claustrophobic indoor ranges, but not the wide open outdoor ranges.
Old April 6, 2020, 03:16 PM   #12
DaleA

Here in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) the gun shop portion of Bill's Gun Shop can stay open but the indoor range is closed. So you can buy your gun there but you can't shoot it there.

Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.
Old April 7, 2020, 09:27 PM   #13
Kevin Rohrer

Same as what the OP said here in Ohio. Unfortunately, all the LGS/ranges are closed because their employees refuse to work during this nonsense. What these people don't understand is that the problem will still be here May 1, June 1, etc.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 7, 2020, 10:15 PM   #14
mehavey

See para 12n
https://www2.illinois.gov/IISNews/21...Home_Order.pdf
Old April 8, 2020, 03:39 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are several different threads, both here and in the Lw & Civil Rights discussion area, that mention what states do and don't include gun shops and ranges as essential services. The NSSF has been very active in monitoring this, and proactive in approaching the states to ensure that the shops and ranges are considered as essential services.

For what is probably the single most current and comprehensive source of which states are leaning which way, please see this post, with links to the NSSF:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606359
Jeepaholic