The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 31, 2016, 10:56 PM   #1
1940izhevsk

Using a surpressor for home defense

In terms of every benefit they provide (little to no muzzle flash, not deafening when used, harder to locate) supressors seem to fit really well in the home defense idea. But what if the time had come to where you HAD to use it, would it hurt your case in court? Unless you live in free states like Texas, Arizona and the like, probably not so much, but what about the not-so-free states? Could they (prosecution) try to push that you're a "militant", and use that against you?
Old August 31, 2016, 11:09 PM   #2
Chainsaw.

What would their case be? You trying to protect your hearing? Wouldn't stand in court.
Old August 31, 2016, 11:53 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Legally, there is nothing they could do.
Civilly, anything can happen.
Old September 1, 2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Old Bill Dibble

I'd attach a gun to it. You can give somebody a good solid whack with one but the gun will be more effective.
Old September 1, 2016, 09:27 AM   #5
kilimanjaro

I think it's a good idea, hearing protectors may not get put on in the heat of the moment, the silencer would already be deployed.

As long as you have fulfilled all the legal requirements for a 'good shoot', the use of a silencer is not going to affect the review of your case.

Having said that, I would not want to use a silenced AR-15, if I had strings of bloodthirsty statements on social media, 'Survivors will be shot' door mats, etc., etc., that kind of thing. You may not affect your case adversely, but the media will run with it and make life miserable for you.
Old September 1, 2016, 09:42 AM   #6
g.willikers

This may seem too obvious, but is there any reason to not remove it afterwards?
Old September 1, 2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
This may seem too obvious, but is there any reason to not remove it afterwards?
Are you going to remove the threaded barrel too? Let's see, threaded barrel + NFA registered suppressor = you will be questioned about this.

In a castle doctrine state, you might not have any problem if you shot an intruder with a suppressed gun. In another state, why do you think a prosecutor WOULDN'T try to make you look like a Mafia hit man while waiving around your silencer in front of a jury (if it got that far)?

Remember, most people don't know that silencers aren't silent or that shooting a gun a few times will hurt your hearing. They just know what they see on TV - the bad guys always use silencers when they methodically plan to execute an innocent person.

I look at it this way - in the highly unlikely situation that I actually have to shoot a home invader, the slight loss of hearing associated with this will be the least of my concerns. What good is perfect hearing after I die anyway? What a waste for a person to grow old and die in perfect health, with all of his parts and senses in perfect working condition! I guess a young crack-smoking drunk would be able to make good use of my pristine liver some day.

Last edited by Skans; September 1, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old September 1, 2016, 03:52 PM   #8
taymag

I dont understand what you're saying? Why wouldn't you be able to use a silencer in your house?
Old September 1, 2016, 08:38 PM   #9
lockedcj7

Does anyone know of a precedent? Has Ayoob written about this?
Old September 1, 2016, 10:11 PM   #10
Mobuck

"This may seem too obvious, but is there any reason to not remove it afterwards?"

Two ways to look at this suggestion:
1-IF you remove it--you're tampering with evidence and/or a possible "crime scene".
2-IF you leave the device on the barrel, odds are great you'll NEVER SEE IT AGAIN--it will end up destroyed or in some cop's tool box.
Old September 1, 2016, 10:41 PM   #11
raimius

Depends on the DA, lawyers, and 12 people who might end up judging you. People are swayed by emotion, and the common media has implanted the idea that suppressors are used by assassins and Navy Seals...so if you aren't a Navy Seal, guess what the other side's lawyer is going to try to paint you as...
Old September 2, 2016, 01:51 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

If you are involved in a CRIMINAL case, you have serious problems even without the supressor.
If the shoot is a good shoot, you will have no problems.

Most problems come from civil lawsuits-where damages are monetary.

It seems many people don't know the difference.
Old September 2, 2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Old Bill Dibble

You don't want to take the can off if you are in a shoot. Odds of being in a shoot inside your home are like one in a million for law abiding gun owners.
Old September 10, 2016, 08:21 PM   #14
pwalston25

I will be using mine regardless of what happens in court. That's what I bought them for, to preserve my hearing. Already have one ear that rings all the time.
Old October 10, 2016, 11:31 AM   #15
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I'd attach a gun to it. You can give somebody a good solid whack with one but the gun will be more effective.
That's pretty funny right there!

I have an old AWC suppressor that's solid stainless. I bet it would make a fantastic baton.
Old October 10, 2016, 05:43 PM   #16
Bartholomew Roberts

Under what circumstances are you seeing a suppressor making you harder to locate in a home defense situation?
Old October 10, 2016, 07:17 PM   #17
smee78

The only problem I would have is releasing an nfa item to some officer and it end up missing or worse. I would rather use my 45 non suppressed and not worry about it or the ignorant 12 that could be judging me later, just not worth the trouble.
Old October 10, 2016, 07:33 PM   #18
FITASC

I guess you could always bring up how "moderators" are sold OTC in gun control countries like the UK specifically because they are used for hearing protection.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 12, 2016, 10:40 PM   #19
Sgt Pepper

NFA regulated items are the last thing I would worry about "ending up in some cop's toolbox." Just because someone is a member of law enforcement does not give them free reign to possess any and all NFA devices.
Old October 13, 2016, 01:35 AM   #20
A1 2A

Criminally I don't see see anything wrong with using one. Assuming you don't live in a prohibiting state, which you don't being from CO. But no telling in Civil court
I'd be more concerned with the investigating agency holding my pricey silencer and what a PITA it would be to get it back haha...no bueno.
Old October 13, 2016, 08:27 AM   #21
Willie Lowman

Quote:
pricey silencer
My P226 cost more than the suppressor, including the $200 stamp.

My biggest concern would be the crooked local law enforcement having my NFA stuff, even if it were for a short time.