The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1
lock-33

About remington 870

the barrel is way to long for home defense and would like to take off a few inches the problem is it has a chrome insert i suppose is for installing a choke on the barrel. Now what I would like to know is it able to be removed and possibly reinstalled? I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with mag tube extensions and what brand and or capacity is most recommended? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 9, 2010, 06:43 PM   #2
oneounceload

A shorter after-market barrel would be easier and cheaper
Old March 9, 2010, 07:08 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Does that "chrome insert" have notches 180* apart on the end (muzzle)? If so, it is a screw in choke tube.

I agree that a short barrel is easier, handier, and not excessively costly.

Keep the long barrel for versatility or sell it to cover the short barrel and possibly a few boxes of shells.
Brent
Old March 9, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Short barrels for the 870 abound. Swapping them is a 5 minute job for a ten thumbed dunce like myself.

Get a short,18-20" barrel and heat it up plenty......
Old March 9, 2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Incognito

Used to have a 20" barrel with rifle sights on it. Sold it on e-Bay for a few dollars more than it cost me for a brand new bead sight Remington 18" smooth bore on Cheaper Than Dirt. Then went ahead and put a Wilson Combat two round extension under it, along with a magazine/barrel coupler.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
dacaur

if it takes you 5 min to change out the barrel on an 870, you have problems bigger than just having 10 thumbs
Old March 16, 2010, 09:00 PM   #7
rantingredneck

Oh, I 'spect by now Dave could do it blindfolded with 9 of this thumbs tied behind his back...........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 18, 2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Just took Daughter downstairs as a timer. Frankenstein got a barrel swap in 3 minutes, 11 seconds. I didn't hurry, and Frank lacks a spring retainer, so I had to keep some pressure on it.

Changing barrels on an 870 is hardly rocket science, nor complicated.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:12 PM   #9
freakintoguns

i was gonna buy a 26" barrel for me 870 to shoot clays and birds, but decided that the 5 minutes it would take to swap the barrels while out shooting isnt worth the trouble, so imma buy another 870 witha 26" barrel and wood furniture...... tragdic i know
Old March 18, 2010, 08:33 PM   #10
bamaranger

choke tube +1

Yup your probably looking at a choke tube, installed in the bbl.

You don't want to defend our home with a "sawed off" shotgun anyhow. The lawyer types will have a field day w/ that (not right, but the way of things I regret to say).

Lots of factory short tubes as previously noted. Mossberg makes an 18" bead sighted tube for the Rem 870 which can usually be found for under $100 bucks new.

Mag extension? I had trouble with a tac-star and had to have the end cap re welded. SD/HD guns stay loaded and there's a lot of pressure on the mag spring, end cap and shell stops. My issue Rem ext has given no problem. I'm a big believer in the spring guide, which robs you of 1 rd, but coils the spring neatly for reliability, and since you cannot cram the mag to the gills, extends spring life as well, I think.

Tags
barrel , chokes , magazine tube extension , shotgun , shotgun home defense